• More distance

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • More control

Votes: 76 82.6%

• Total voters

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Here's a thought for you all. I generally play with a premium ball (Titleist Pro V) and usually knock it round somewhere near my handicap (3). Over the summer I actually tested a theory (a very unscientific theory it must said) that I had been thinking about for a while and that was, does the type of ball you're playing with make any difference?

Like I said very unscientific, other than my swing and my clubs being the same for the 3 'tests' I conducted. I played 2 balls (my usual Titleist and either a range ball/a Pinnacle Gold/Srixon Distance) for a full 18 holes over the course of 7 days. Hit the same club off the tee and clubbed as near as I could for the remaining shots (other than the odd snap hook, aaaagh!, the balls were generally near each other for the rest of the hole).

The scores I recorded were as follows (Titleist first, 'bargin ball' second): 71/73, 75/74, 73/76.

As you can see, the difference wasn't huge and in fact if I took any notice of my methodology and results I would now be teeing it up every time with a bloody Pinnacle Gold ha!

Like I said, it was only really a bit of fun and not a scientific test but it really made me think about the merits of paying 3/4 times as much for the little white sphere that I knock about the course with. If I had the time/inclination to pursue this further and carry out further research I may well be tempted to change my ball for one that is a damn sight cheaper than the one I currently use ha ha!

Anyway, please don't sue me if you lose in a final hole play off whilst using a Pinnacle just because you read this because we both know that Titleist's are still much more sexy!!! :D

at the moment with the amount of rain we have had over the last month, you could play a top flight around St Andrews Old course and get it to stop on the greens its that soft

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I really like the Trusofts (normally play ProV). Not fussed on the NXT Tour balls though.

Mark Crossfield did a great video on budget and premium balls around the greens. IIRC, the Trusoft came out well with his and Lockey’s testing.

Maybe it's just me - but calling a ball 'Trusoft' - like 'Velocity' is a complete turn-off for me. It smacks of trying to sell something that doesn't really merit it - if you get what I mean. IMO a decent ball just wouldn't be so named.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe it's just me - but calling a ball 'Trusoft' - like 'Velocity' is a complete turn-off for me. It smacks of trying to sell something that doesn't really merit it - if you get what I mean. IMO a decent ball just wouldn't be so named.

The Titleist Decent? Would there be a Decent X low spin version as well?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have to call it something for god's sake. If it's soft they give it a name implying it's soft so that people know it's soft. :confused:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Neither really. I have a few balls I've used in the past that I stick to. Ad333's, Z-Stars, AD333 Tours, One of the bridgestone balls, can't remember which. As long as the ball doesn't feel like hitting a rock I'm ok with it.

To be 100% honest at a 12 handicap I don't think the ball makes a massive difference to my score personally.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ll now be dropping down to AD333’s or similar balls on sale as we are now experiencing ‘leaf syndrome’, unless playing at a tree free course.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i want to play a ball that is called a "PROVISIONAL they always seem to go further and straighter than any other brand ,premium or budget.
the trouble is i cant find any to use although they seem to magically appear in my bag a few times every round :D

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
i want to play a ball that is called a "PROVISIONAL they always seem to go further and straighter than any other brand ,premium or budget.
the trouble is i cant find any to use although they seem to magically appear in my bag a few times every round :D

I have some that i am willing to sell. However, they come at a premium... :D