• More distance

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • More control

Votes: 76 82.6%

• Total voters

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Premium balls at low/on offer prices for me. I’ve used the srioxon z star xv that I bought cheap as I got 6 dozen for a while and recently I have the 2016 prov1 x for £28 per dozen.... won’t pay more than that!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think for the average handicapped club golfer who shouldn't be hitting that many GIR then like me getting up & down is important so control around and on the green is more important to me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me and as Fish points out a golfer who doesn't hit as many GIR's in regulation as I should, having a lot of pitches and chip shots to play, I prefer a 3 piece that gives me control. However it has to feel right off the putter too

D

Deleted member 15344

Most if not all premium balls give you both - distance and control with short sticks. Don’t think you need to make a choice as those balls give you both

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ball with a nice feel and control/spin around the greens for me. Everytime.

Really never noticed much difference in distance between balls but a hell of a big difference in spin & control when pitching/chipping plus feel/control when putting

Does it translate to any affect on my scores/handicap?well, maybe a shot or 2... but probably not (too many other variables in play not least of which is a lack of consistency)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Most if not all premium balls give you both - distance and control with short sticks. Don’t think you need to make a choice as those balls give you both

But not everyone is prepared to buy or pay the prices of a premium ball, which to a degree is a little subjective, as where is the starting point of a 'premium' ball?

So hence the question, or should it be slightly rephrased to read; if you can't/won't pay premium ball prices that offer everything, which is more important to you, a ball offering distance or a ball with better qualities around the green?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, best bit of advice for everyone. Get yourself s pack of Volvik Vivid. They won't make a blind bit of difference to your play but they will save you shots as they are practically impossible to lose in the clag. The little bleeders stand out like Jacob Rees Mogg in Lidl.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
But not everyone is prepared to buy or pay the prices of a premium ball, which to a degree is a little subjective, as where is the starting point of a 'premium' ball?

So hence the question, or should it be slightly rephrased to read; if you can't/won't pay premium ball prices that offer everything, which is more important to you, a ball offering distance or a ball with better qualities around the green?

Look at it another way.

I tested side by side a Pro V1 (2016) and a Srixon AD333 Tour.

Both are 3-Piece balls and both have urethane covers.

The Srixon was consistently a club longer, but the Titleist was better around the greens.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Look at it another way.

I tested side by side a Pro V1 (2016) and a Srixon AD333 Tour.

Both are 3-Piece balls and both have urethane covers.

The Srixon was consistently a club longer, but the Titleist was better around the greens.

and £10 a dozen difference!

And the Titleist DT TruSoft golf ball with a redesigned new core and new cover is the softest feeling Titleist with superior distance and increased short game spin and is only £18.99 a dozen, so if that ball offers everything why is it not deemed to be a 'premium' ball, just because of its price point?

How much more distance and/or control would an average handicap club golfer get out of a Pro V1 against this DT TruSoft?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
and £10 a dozen difference!

And the Titleist DT TruSoft golf ball with a redesigned new core and new cover is the softest feeling Titleist with superior distance and increased short game spin and is only £18.99 a dozen, so if that ball offers everything why is it not deemed to be a 'premium' ball, just because of its price point?

How much more distance and/or control would an average handicap club golfer get out of a Pro V1 against this DT TruSoft?
I recently used a DT TruSoft that I'd found, and I thought it was excellent. I had a great round that day, it's hard to know though whether the ball helped me play well, or whether playing well made me favour the ball! Regardless though, it felt pretty good to me. I'm trying some DX2s next but I think I may settle on TruSofts one day.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Theres really no need to be buying full price pro v balls.

There are plenty of found balls which have been used for a hole or two.

Buy cheaper premium balls on offer or good quality 2nd hand ones.

All the premium balls preform pretty much the same. Nowt in it.

T.I.A.G.D.

Visit site
Here's a thought for you all. I generally play with a premium ball (Titleist Pro V) and usually knock it round somewhere near my handicap (3). Over the summer I actually tested a theory (a very unscientific theory it must said) that I had been thinking about for a while and that was, does the type of ball you're playing with make any difference?

Like I said very unscientific, other than my swing and my clubs being the same for the 3 'tests' I conducted. I played 2 balls (my usual Titleist and either a range ball/a Pinnacle Gold/Srixon Distance) for a full 18 holes over the course of 7 days. Hit the same club off the tee and clubbed as near as I could for the remaining shots (other than the odd snap hook, aaaagh!, the balls were generally near each other for the rest of the hole).

The scores I recorded were as follows (Titleist first, 'bargin ball' second): 71/73, 75/74, 73/76.

As you can see, the difference wasn't huge and in fact if I took any notice of my methodology and results I would now be teeing it up every time with a bloody Pinnacle Gold ha!

Like I said, it was only really a bit of fun and not a scientific test but it really made me think about the merits of paying 3/4 times as much for the little white sphere that I knock about the course with. If I had the time/inclination to pursue this further and carry out further research I may well be tempted to change my ball for one that is a damn sight cheaper than the one I currently use ha ha!

Anyway, please don't sue me if you lose in a final hole play off whilst using a Pinnacle just because you read this because we both know that Titleist's are still much more sexy!!! :D

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, best bit of advice for everyone. Get yourself s pack of Volvik Vivid. They won't make a blind bit of difference to your play but they will save you shots as they are practically impossible to lose in the clag. The little bleeders stand out like Jacob Rees Mogg in Lidl.

This sounds like the best idea, especially with winter coming

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If it's not a marble; not called Pinnacle, TopFlite, Ultra; or has the word velocity; speed; spin; distance; height and the like in it's name - then I'll use it. I'm really not that fussed. I don't believe my swing is consistent enough for me to look at the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd go as far as to say its a huge advantage playing a premium ball when playing links. The lies are so tight you can get really great contact and its easy to play aggressive checking chips and pitches especially if the greens are receptive.

Your approach shots sit down a lot quicker too. No doubt about that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This sounds like the best idea, especially with winter coming

Made I laugh . I was chatting to a mate on the tee on Wednesday he said the same thing about the bright Yellow Volvik being unloseable.

I played with him on Thursday and he lost it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Dear god no. Yes they stand out but they were awful to hit and I reviewed them twice thinking it was me. Hated them. Fortunately most are now donated to the heather of Sunningdale and Hankley

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are any of the Nike range of balls any good. I find a few of these in my scrambling about under the gorse bushes - though not a tenth of the number of AD333s and various (nonProV) Titleist balls. And on the latter - which of these are half decent? I resist strongly playing any ball that has anything like the word velocity on it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are any of the Nike range of balls any good. I find a few of these in my scrambling about under the gorse bushes - though not a tenth of the number of AD333s and various (nonProV) Titleist balls. And on the latter - which of these are half decent? I resist strongly playing any ball that has anything like the word velocity on it.
I found a DT TruSoft and it was pretty nice. I later saw they were in the same sort of bracket as the other balls I usually play (Supersoft, AD333, DX2 etc) so it made sense.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really like the Trusofts (normally play ProV). Not fussed on the NXT Tour balls though.

Mark Crossfield did a great video on budget and premium balls around the greens. IIRC, the Trusoft came out well with his and Lockey’s testing.