Which ‘top 100 courses’ list?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Interested to know which ‘top 100’ list people prefer and why? Given there appear to be several lists including:

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/
Golf World / Today’s Golfer
Golf Monthly
National Club Golfer

It seems approaches vary, from user rated, to a more strict review panel type process. Do any feel fairer / more representative than others? Noting this is a very subjective top!
None of them, they are generally more full of holes than Rab C's string vest.

How do they reach their conclusion, odes the list compiler play every course in the UK? Of course not, so it's hearsay and some personal experience and highly subjective.

evemccc

Visit site
I have to say I’m surprised at some of the comments…and the seeming annoyance a list of ‘top courses’ causes ?

Maybe don’t take the lists so literally/dogmatically, instead see them for what they’re intended to be - a useful jumping off point as a general guide / discussion point for people who are ‘into’ playing new courses

A bit like Goodreads dot com

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have to say I’m surprised at some of the comments…and the seeming annoyance a list of ‘top courses’ causes ?

Maybe don’t take the lists so literally/dogmatically, instead see them for what they’re intended to be - a useful jumping off point as a general guide / discussion point for people who are ‘into’ playing new courses

A bit like Goodreads dot com

I would suggest it's more a case of you can't take them seriously.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty much the same courses year in year out. I'd recommend playing st Andrews if you can, not because it's a particularly great course , but just for the experience of being on that first tee.
The reviewers are never going to say course X is a crock of crap as they won't get invited back for their freebie anymore.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I‘d read one of them (possibly GM) was a case of anyone can vote, whereas Golf World is a ‘panel of experts’- will try and locate the GM article to which you refer, sounds interesting!

Gm's is compiled by markings from approximately 40 reviewers, with all the previous top 100 (plus approx another 40) having a minimum of 3 reviews in a 2 year cycle, but not anyone can vote.

Like everything else it's very subjective, but all of the reviewers will have played a minimum of 30 of the top 100 (so they have a base line to work from), but most having done twice that, but doubt if many/any would have done all of the current 100.

My personal new number 1 isnt currently in the GM top 100, and Ive played 70+ of the current top 100 and 19 of the top 20, so shows how subjective it can be to say the least.

No system is perfect, but some more perfect than others. :)

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting stuff! Dare I ask which your new numero uno is?!
V impressive having played 70 of the top 100 - wonder if many on here have done more than that!!

Gm's is compiled by markings from approximately 40 reviewers, with all the previous top 100 (plus approx another 40) having a minimum of 3 reviews in a 2 year cycle, but not anyone can vote.

Like everything else it's very subjective, but all of the reviewers will have played a minimum of 30 of the top 100 (so they have a base line to work from), but most having done twice that, but doubt if many/any would have done all of the current 100.

My personal new number 1 isnt currently in the GM top 100, and Ive played 70+ of the current top 100 and 19 of the top 20, so shows how subjective it can be to say the least.

No system is perfect, but some more perfect than others. :)

Grizzly

Visit site
This is why the lists are so interesting and create discussions I couldn't agree with you more its not close between Blackmoor and Camberley but I would have Camberley above, all down to what suits your eye I guess :)

Aye, and sometimes the discussion is half the craic, right?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wife bought me a map of the (at the time) top 100 courses as a present with the thought that I could maybe play one a year........I'll leave that with you.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting stuff! Dare I ask which your new numero uno is?!
V impressive having played 70 of the top 100 - wonder if many on here have done more than that!!

Carne (wild atlantic dunes layout) in Ireland, although it is a composite course out of the 27 holes that they have there, but it jumps about a bit and its not just 2 of the 9's.

From what a club official told me the course wasnt in great nick at all a few years ago, but maybe with it upping its game over the last few years it may see it rise up any rankings quickly.

Zig

Visit site
Carne (wild atlantic dunes layout) in Ireland, although it is a composite course out of the 27 holes that they have there, but it jumps about a bit and its not just 2 of the 9's.

From what a club official told me the course wasnt in great nick at all a few years ago, but maybe with it upping its game over the last few years it may see it rise up any rankings quickly.

Its one of the craziest places in the world isn't it! Played it 10 years ago with Enniscrone, Rosses Point and Murvagh. Going back next month to play Carne WAD and Ballyliffin. Its the best corner of the UK&Ire to play golf.... the most extreme courses at great prices. Love it!

D-S

Visit site
Currently staying at a Top 50 World golf course (in a lot of rankings). We’ve played it before and we’re playing it a few times this week. In all honesty it is beautifully manicured wide open resort course with 12 ordinary/normal holes and 6 visually stunning holes. They must value their ranking as via golf booking sites it’s USD540 a round plus USD50 mandatory caddy. We are not paying that rate I hasten to add.
However without that ranking how could they command that fee?
I have played lots and lots of courses worldwide that I would rank higher.
Playing another world top 50 this week and hopefully will be value for money.
There is a lot of money behind these rankings but I would love to find one that I agreed with.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its one of the craziest places in the world isn't it! Played it 10 years ago with Enniscrone, Rosses Point and Murvagh. Going back next month to play Carne WAD and Ballyliffin. Its the best corner of the UK&Ire to play golf.... the most extreme courses at great prices. Love it!

We played Carne, Enniscrone and Co. Sligo in a comp for £138 - bargain.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
It certainly does feel like the vast majority of courses with a ranking in any of the credible lists talked about on here, certainly charge a premium for such!

Which top 50 course are you playing dare I ask? You’re not Gareth Bale are you? :sneaky:

Currently staying at a Top 50 World golf course (in a lot of rankings). We’ve played it before and we’re playing it a few times this week. In all honesty it is beautifully manicured wide open resort course with 12 ordinary/normal holes and 6 visually stunning holes. They must value their ranking as via golf booking sites it’s USD540 a round plus USD50 mandatory caddy. We are not paying that rate I hasten to add.
There is a lot of money behind these rankings but I would love to find one that I agreed with.
:D

D

Deleted member 31467

The reviewers are never going to say course X is a crock of crap as they won't get invited back for their freebie anymore.
If they say somewhere is crap and it drops out the top 100 it will be replaced by another club they can blag a freebie at ;)

sunshine

Visit site

Sounds like you're at Pebble. Who's your partner in the pro am? ;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a course in East Lothian that is not that highly rated by the locals but it has an inflated position on any list you see.