Top 100 Rankings - inability to play many courses

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The top 100 should be courses you should be able to book and pay your fee and play. From memory Jezz said the latest GM top 100 only had 2, Loch Lomond and The Rennaisance and for me regardless of quality the shouldn't have been included

more that likely martin, the last time GM did its list i think Skibo asked not to be included ( i think they were top 30) at that time you could not play unless it was with a member and they just did not want visitors anyway. it was strange they started allowing the odd 4 ball but the cost is so over the top at £1200, im not sure why they bothered!

S

Snelly

The top 100 should be courses you should be able to book and pay your fee and play.

Why? Says who? Embittered golfers?

Utter tripe. If the best club in the world wants to be a very exclusive place then that is up to them.

I would also say that there isn't a member's club in the world that you cannot get a game at. The cost might be very high and it might not be called a green fee, but if you have the shekels then you can always find a way to play at any course you desire.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been reading this with interest, to make a comparison that you cannot drive at silverstone so you cannot play at XYZ golf course. Eh? Of course you can drive silverstone and in your own car.
I think the point is, why make a list that you cannot play on.
Theres enough courses for me to play on without worrying about those I cannot play. They might as well be on another planet.

D

Deleted member 16999

Been reading this with interest, to make a comparison that you cannot drive at silverstone so you cannot play at XYZ golf course. Eh? Of course you can drive silverstone and in your own car.
I think the point is, why make a list that you cannot play on.
Theres enough courses for me to play on without worrying about those I cannot play. They might as well be on another planet.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly😃 What I was trying to say (probably explain it badly again) there are lots of sports were the man in the street is denied access, whether it be money/status/whatever.
If someone is not willing to spend more than £25.00 on a round should we have a list to suit them, you'd end up with a thousand different lists for a thousand different reasons.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I kind of find the normal lists very dull as they have been done to death and you know which courses will be roughly where.

Really liked the list National Club Golfer did recently of the top 100 courses under 100 notes based on straight quality combined with green fee. Much rather this than yet another list telling me Muirfield RCD The Old Course are the best courses. Give me a list of hidden gems anyday.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I kind of find the normal lists very dull as they have been done to death and you know which courses will be roughly where. Really liked the list National Club Golfer did recently of the top 100 courses under 100 notes based on straight quality combined with green fee. Much rather this than yet another list telling me Muirfield RCD The Old Course are the best courses. Give me a list of hidden gems anyday.

I agree. Far more realistic for the majority. While Snelly may or may not be right in the fact that you can get a game on "any members club" for most that will be still remain a pipe dream for most and we don't know the right school tie or the correct leverage and even then, cost will make it prohibitive even if you can get on. The fact that there are courses ranked, where for £100 (and considerably less at some) you can definitely get a game makes it a far more interesting and aspirational list

S

Snelly

I agree. Far more realistic for the majority. While Snelly may or may not be right in the fact that you can get a game on "any members club" for most that will be still remain a pipe dream for most and we don't know the right school tie or the correct leverage and even then, cost will make it prohibitive even if you can get on. The fact that there are courses ranked, where for £100 (and considerably less at some) you can definitely get a game makes it a far more interesting and aspirational list

Do you want a list of the top 100 courses in the world? I do. And I want it to be a list of the best 100 courses in the world without any caveats or exclusions.

All the objections listed here are petty at best and if any were taken on board and applied, then the list of courses would quite categorically NOT be a list of the top 100 courses in the world. It would be something else instead.

That is fine of course, everyone loves a list and caveats and exclusions can be applied as filters to any list of courses that any of you wish you make. However, it then becomes something radically different and I would argue, utterly uninteresting and pretty irrelevant.

No-one gives a toss about a list of courses that is based on criteria determined as crucial according to the whines of the needy on the GM Forum. E.g:

Must allow green fees
Cannot be more than £100
No men-only clubs
5 hour rounds encouraged
Custom fitted equipment only
Lessons included
No castle tees
Permissible to change shoes in the car park
No one to be let through if "the course is busy in front anyway so where can they go?"
White belts mandatory
Having a beer then driving results in crucifixion
Jeans perfectly acceptable
Football shirts allowed on Saturdays
Handicap certificates required, then disbelieved until two independent sources corroborate as accurate (via Wikipedia is fine)
No play allowed without distance measuring technology
Anyone without a PST will be forcibly ejected

Etc. Etc.

Stop bleating.

If the best course in the world is managed by a reanimated Adolf Hitler, the steward is Dr Crippen and flogging peasants on the 1st tee is the signal to start play each day then however objectionable it may be, it is still the best course in the world and will top a list of the top 100 courses. And believe it or not, people would still want to play it....

Last edited:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you want a list of the top 100 courses in the world? I do. And I want it to be a list of the best 100 courses in the world without any caveats or exclusions.

All the objections listed here are petty at best and if any were taken on board and applied, then the list of courses would quite categorically NOT be a list of the top 100 courses in the world. It would be something else instead.

That is fine of course, everyone loves a list and caveats and exclusions can be applied as filters to any list of courses that any of you wish you make. However, it then becomes something radically different and I would argue, utterly uninteresting and pretty irrelevant.

No-one gives a toss about a list of courses that is based on criteria determined as crucial according to the whines of the needy on the GM Forum. E.g:

Must allow green fees
Cannot be more than £100
No men-only clubs
5 hour rounds encouraged
Custom fitted equipment only
Lessons included
No castle tees
Permissible to change shoes in the car park
No one to be let through if "the course is busy in front anyway so where can they go?"
White belts mandatory
Having a beer then driving results in crucifixion
Jeans perfectly acceptable
Football shirts allowed on Saturdays
Handicap certificates required, then disbelieved until two independent sources corroborate as accurate (via Wikipedia is fine)
No play allowed without distance measuring technology
Anyone without a PST will be forcibly ejected

Etc. Etc.

Stop bleating.

If the best course in the world is managed by a reanimated Adolf Hitler, the steward is Dr Crippen and flogging peasants on the 1st tee is the signal to start play each day then however objectionable it may be, it is still the best course in the world and will top a list of the top 100 courses. And believe it or not, people would still want to play it....

+ 1

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why? Says who? Embittered golfers?

Utter tripe. If the best club in the world wants to be a very exclusive place then that is up to them.

I would also say that there isn't a member's club in the world that you cannot get a game at. The cost might be very high and it might not be called a green fee, but if you have the shekels then you can always find a way to play at any course you desire.

Says ME, It's called opinion

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am a member of a so-called 'member only' golf club, where visitors are only allowed as guests of members. This is good in that I can generally turn up and play without finding that the course is crowded out with societies and green fee payers, but I do have to relatively pay through the nose for this. Unfortunately the club is proprietary owned, and the company knows that the big money is in society days. Therefore they are doing more and more 'members days', which are basically societies where only one participant has to be a member of the club, and charity days when nobody has to be a member. The only good thing is that the company owns a number of clubs, so I can go away and play another course for free on such days. :)

Last edited: