Where do you play

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m at Barnehurst - a 9 hole course and yet another designed by James Braid.

It’s in the process of being sold by AG to an Irish golfing company so finger crossed they’ll pump some money into it
Used to play there a lot after work when I lived/worked in Dartford.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently full member at Chestfield GC with second club membership at Westgate and Birchington.
Next year it will be full membership at Westgate and associate membership at Canterbury.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Currently full member at Chestfield GC with second club membership at Westgate and Birchington.
Next year it will be full membership at Westgate and associate membership at Canterbury.
I enjoyed Chestfield when I played it earlier this year. What way is Westgate better?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Westgate is built/ based on chalk so I can use a trolley there all year and if I have to carry as it's quite short and flat.
No way I can carry 18 at Chestfield so last winter I only played the first 12 for around 5 months ( they rope off large sections of the course so using a trolley is quite an inconvenience)

Visit site
Shipley G.C. in West Yorkshire for me, or more accurately The Shipley.
It's actually in Bingley, but it started in Shipley in 1896, then moved to Beckfoot in Bingley in 1921, Superb course.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been a nomad for many years now as it suits me at the moment. I do miss the "sense of belonging" to a members club and all that goes with it but as I only play between 4 and 8 times a month dependant on time of year, then in my neck of the woods (SE London/Kent/Surrey borders) I can't justify the cost of membership. Member's guest green fees with a group of good friends I have made over the years, plus some society golf, keep the costs reasonable. It probably costs me the same over the course of the year as belonging to a club would but I do get to play many different courses. Over the years I've played nearly 150 courses in England and another 46 elsewhere.

Having said that, if I did in the future decide to put some roots down, then there is only one contender in the area and that is Sundridge Park. Even though it's parkland so not to the purists taste :rolleyes:, I love the place. Often get an invite from another Forum member there, play soon after 08.15, and it's millionaires golf - not only because you almost have either of the courses to yourself but because the conditionof the courses is usually far better than anything else around.

TeeRev

Visit site
Retiree learner golfer here, 8 years in. Started playing at Seaford Head for the first two years then flitted between there and Seaford for another year or so. Got lot's of friends play at Blatch and it has a better clubhouse/proshop/facilities so I've been a full member there for four years now. Our little gang of oldies do still go back to the Head a couple of times a year and this year we've formed a small society to play other local courses, we're at The Dyke next Wednesday.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This thread has limited value unless folk will host other folk at their course. I'm sure folk will do that..😉
I’d be more than happy to host anyone at my place. Unfortunately it will have to be next year as we are closed to visitors for the foreseeable due to bunker work.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Shipley G.C. in West Yorkshire for me, or more accurately The Shipley.
It's actually in Bingley, but it started in Shipley in 1896, then moved to Beckfoot in Bingley in 1921, Superb course.
Lovely course.

Apart from 2 and 18 🤣 and only because they have ruined many a card.

I was a member at Northcliffe many years ago and played Shipley regularly.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This thread has limited value unless folk will host other folk at their course. I'm sure folk will do that..😉

I'm always happy to host, but for some reason folks don't seem keen to play my course.

This despite the fact that it's under consideration as a future Open course because it blends a links style on the front nine with more of a parkland feel on the back nine.

The bigwigs at the R&A are looking for such a course to make a smooth transition away from links only, and on top of that it's centrally located with excellent road links.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm always happy to host, but for some reason folks don't seem keen to play my course.

This despite the fact that it's under consideration as a future Open course because it blends a links style on the front nine with more of a parkland feel on the back nine.

The bigwigs at the R&A are looking for such a course to make a smooth transition away from links only, and on top of that it's centrally located with excellent road links.
It may not be the course that's holding them back! 😉😆

D

Deleted member 31467

I'm a member at Augusta, give me a shout anytime you fancy a game at your place 😉