• At another golf club/course

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other range/independent

Votes: 32 40.0%

• Total voters

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Simple question and poll, where do you have your golf lessons and why?

Do you have them at your own club more for convenience and you get on with your Pro or do you travel to another golf club because the Pro/teacher is known to be better than yours, or because the other club has better practice facilities, range, indoor academy etc

What and why are the reasons you have your golf lessons where you do?

Last edited:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I try to get mine during my holidays abroad. The main reason is that I work full time and find it hard to get any practice time in during a normal work week. Maybe I could squeeze lessons in on Friday evenings or the weekend, but not only are our two pros normally booked solid on those days, I would also not find enough time to practice the new stuff between lessons. So what I do is get a week or two off work, go somewhere nice with good practice facilities (and hopefully good weather) and try to absorb as much new information as I can during that time and start to groove it in. It will still leave me with enough to work on when I am back home, but that way I at least have the feeling that I am off to a good start with the newly learned stuff.

I went to Lytham St. Anne's last October for lessons with Peter Finch, I will go to Islantilla Golf Resort in Spain this Sunday for a week and then hopefully go back to Lytham in summer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At a local range. Went to the guy on basis of word of mouth recommendations from some good golfers at the club and very happy. Decent enough range too for practice without too many idiots mucking about

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A few different places depending on what the lesson us to achieve. I had a chipping lesson recently indoors on a GC2, a playing lesson on my course and an MOT type check over at my range

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still have lessons with the former pro from our club. He's semi retired but has been teaching/coaching me for 30+ years and I wanted to stick with him. He has an arrangement with a private school that has it's own mini course where he gives lessons.

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to go to Chris Ryan at the Belfry, but time constraints and distance mean I go to my club pro (Ian Walley) more often nowadays.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have always used the pro at the club I was a member at , very easy then to tap into their knowledge as you see them every time you play .

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have tried a few places since I moved down this way but have now settled on a new academy at a nearby range/ 9 hole course.

Has advantages as it has indoor and outdoor teaching and on course available if needed.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
You Tube and Magazines

Interesting take on the question Phil as I'd say those were research more than lessons.
The advantage of having a lesson with a pro is you may well think you're doing something right but actually it's all wrong. For example I thought I was lining up correctly but was very much closed and when I thought I had the ball in the middle of my stance , it was in fact a ball to two ball forward. Once the pro had pointed that out i was a lot straighter and striking the ball as well as I have ever done .

D

Deleted member 15344

Interesting take on the question Phil as I'd say those were research more than lessons.
The advantage of having a lesson with a pro is you may well think you're doing something right but actually it's all wrong. For example I thought I was lining up correctly but was very much closed and when I thought I had the ball in the middle of my stance , it was in fact a ball to two ball forward. Once the pro had pointed that out i was a lot straighter and striking the ball as well as I have ever done .

Understand that but looking at what people do and suggest and tips is like a lesson for me - I see things then I try them - if it works I'll keep
Doing it , if it doesn't then I'll try something else

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Understand that but looking at what people do and suggest and tips is like a lesson for me - I see things then I try them - if it works I'll keep
Doing it , if it doesn't then I'll try something else

That was pretty much how I was, devouring you tube and any thing online but my game was static and frustrating, saw Olli our pro and was a big light bulb moment. Wished i'd seen him sooner :)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Interesting so far that it's slightly more away from the home club at present.

I'm happy to have short game lessons and general iron play lessons, even putting lessons at my home club as we have the facilities to accommodate them, however, should I need a lesson on my driving or any of my woods I need to go somewhere else as we don't have a range or a long enough area to practice to have lessons on those specific clubs.

Although I suppose its not commonplace at a lot of clubs but having an indoor facility to use a GC2 or similar to get stats on the clubface, shaft lean etc can also be a huge advantage, especially when the course is closed like today due to wet weather, if we had an indoor teaching area I'd be down there like a shot right now!

So, in my position I'm in a predicament because I've enjoyed the lesson/s with my irons and swing changes at my home club but they can't offer me the whole package due to the practice area restrictions and so I need to go somewhere else for the top of my bag!

So, would going to 2 different Pro's complicate things or should I just have lessons at 1 place that can offer me the whole package through my bag?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

That was pretty much how I was, devouring you tube and any thing online but my game was static and frustrating, saw Olli our pro and was a big light bulb moment. Wished i'd seen him sooner :)
I think at the moment I have been lucky that any periods of frustration I have managed to play through but if it did extend and start to grind down a little then it's possible I would look to see a Pro.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have them at your own club more for convenience and you get on with your Pro

No and yes. As in I don't have them at home course, get on well with both pro and assistant, but they're not speaking my language. Old assistant pro was, but he gone.

or do you travel to another golf club because the Pro/teacher is known to be better than yours

That is exactly it. Driving range is about 30/40 minutes from home but each trip so far has been completely worth it. The pro has to travel too, it's a middle ground. Must arrange another soon, just haven't been playing cos of a virus I picked up than put me down.

And in case you see previous threads, I'm getting lessons with our very own Bobmac. The proof will be in the pudding once the season begins but I'll be a monkeys uncle if I don't reap the benefit of his wisdom. I feel like I've improved a lot, yet to put it to the test on course, looking forward to it.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I with Phil on this Ben.

I wouldn't need a pro to tell me I am closed at address the reason being I know what closed looks like due to You-tube and magazines the same as its very easy to take an open stance.

I have learnt this game 99% by trial and error just by reading or watching and then going out and learning and that's something I enjoy.

I'm not knocking lessons though each to their own.

I suppose if I really wanted to get down to 4 I would need additional help but my aim is 5 without a pro.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Local range, as know the pro really well. He is soon moving to a club, and will follow him there as well for lessons