When others 'NR' in a comp.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Couple of questions,

1) Would you ever NR and if so why?
2) Does your club have any rules against those who NR?

I wouldn't unless I fell ill during a round and the club I play at doesn't have any rules against NR's e.g. cant play future comps for X amount of time.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Don't see why you should so bothered by NRs in a comp? It still makes people go up 0.1 and it is counted for CSS purposes. Literally there is no detriment to you

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep. Often nr. Cant see why not. Handicap gone, point one in the bag. Not much point in putting out for a 9 and wasting everyones time.

No punishment. It is not a punishable offence.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep. Often nr. Cant see why not. Handicap gone, point one in the bag. Not much point in putting out for a 9 and wasting everyones time.

CONGU rules say you should continue your best efforts on the remaining holes and have your marker record the scores. You putting out for the 9 could still lead to a handicap reduction depending on the scores on the other 17 holes.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
CONGU rules say you should continue your best efforts on the remaining holes and have your marker record the scores. You putting out for the 9 could still lead to a handicap reduction depending on the scores on the other 17 holes.

from hcap perspective surely you just play it as a stableford, how does putting out for a 9 help this?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't NRed myself before. I was playing with a guy who did it in a medal when he lost a ball unexpectedly, hence hadn't played a provisional, and he couldn't be bothered to go all the way back to the tee as he wasn't having a great round anyway. I totally understood that, had no problem with it. He still finished the round with us and popped his card in anyway. If something like that happened to me I'd do the same, no matter how bad the round is I always finish it, because a day's golf is a day's golf at the end of the day - good or bad.

I'm pretty sure there's no punishment for NRs at our place, there always seems to be 3 or 4 NRs at the bottom of the list when the comp results come out.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not often but have maybe a handful of times since i started in 2006. Not sure why you would be punished for NRing unless you were 6 under par/ handicap, then NR's on the 17th and didn't keep score on the 18th either;)

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Key phrase being "remaining holes".

The 'NR but carry on' is to encourage people from faffing about exactly as you describe, they can't "score" more than a nett double bogey on any hole, so if you round score is gone, and we'd have to assume with a 9 it's likely, then blob it and continue for the rest of the round recording scores as you may still buffer, and your score will contribute to the CSS calculation.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

from hcap perspective surely you just play it as a stableford, how does putting out for a 9 help this?

It doesn't. My response was aimed at the "point one in the bag" statement, which is contrary to CONGU's urging that the player should continue with his best efforts to score as well as possible.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I once NRd on the 7th tee. The ball had just flown of the heel of the driver straight at my golf bag, where it proceeded the break the hosel on the putter.

I was already over my handicap after just 6 holes.

On our handicap committee we often chastise players who NR the last couple of holes just because they know they cannot win (backing up Rosecott's point).

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve NR a few times but only walked in once. That was only because one of my playing partners was below gross at 14. I had a bad case of the shanks and NR back at 9. I said I’ll leave him and the other chap to it as I didn’t want to disrupt his game.
Normally when I NR I stay out there for the practice and to continue marking a card.
I feel an NR isnt doing anyone any harm but if they throw a strop and storm in is a bit disrespectful.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not usually, but did yesterday,lost my ball on the 17th, group close behind us, thought I could find it easy enough but couldn't.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I try to play every medal with a Stableford mindset. I do hit provisionals if I think they're required, but if I get caught out I'll NR the hole without much hesitation. I'll still try my best on every hole until there's no hope of avoiding the dreaded 0.1.

NR'ed two medals last year. Both were reasonably early in the round. In one case I still buffered (just), and the other was a clear 0.1.

I definitely think you should do your best on every hole, but I don't see the point of not NR'ing. Once there's a 9+ on the card you aren't going to win anything anyway, so move on.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not really now but I have done in the past but when I did it I'd still complete the card and put it in as I know it's a PITA for the handicap team if someone signs in to the comp but doesn't put there card in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only once, last year but still played all 18 and handed the card in. I couldn't find my ball on a hole, didn't want the walk of shame back, tired etc.

I have seen some people NR and walk in in a strop. I'm not a fan of that, not fair on your playing partners and generally disrespectful.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of questions,

1) Would you ever NR and if so why?
2) Does your club have any rules against those who NR?

I wouldn't unless I fell ill during a round and the club I play at doesn't have any rules against NR's e.g. cant play future comps for X amount of time.

If you retire ill or injured then you shouldn't really NR, or put it this way I wouldn't process you as a NR. I don't think it would be fair to add .1 for those reasons and would just remove you from the competition.

We apply a 2 match ban for someone walking off the course without very good reason ie in a strop, having a bad day, etc.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Never NRd, even with a 9 on your card you’ve got to keep scoring, unless it was on a par 3 in which case golf isn’t for you 😂