When holes are closed how should players handicaps be adjusted. Do you get Nn/18th of handicap ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
At present you would be allocated par for 5 of the holes not played and par+1 for the 6th.
But the formula is being changed from April.

I'm in a bit of the rush at the moment and will post the details later unless someone else does.
I mean how many shots do I get. Not how you would be scored for handicap qualifying purposes. If I am a 12 handicap and 4 holes are closed how many shots would I get over 14 holes

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mean how many shots do I get. Not how you would be scored for handicap qualifying purposes. If I am a 12 handicap and 4 holes are closed how many shots would I get over 14 holes
Exactly the same as though it was full 18, I'd say, just some holes where you won't be able to use them. What format are you playing?

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
Strokeplay. But if stroke index 1-6 closed a six handicap gets none zero percent of handicap. A 12 handicap gets 6. At 50%. And an 28 handicap gets 12 which is 190%

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Strokeplay. But if stroke index 1-6 closed a six handicap gets none zero percent of handicap. A 12 handicap gets 6. At 50%. And an 28 handicap gets 12 which is 190%
This isn’t the way to look at it, and your calculations for 28 h’cap is wrong - they get about 45% but this is irrelevant

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Add net par plus one additional stroke for the first hole not played (or equivalent Stableford points).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

In strokeplay you don't get shots on particular SIs, you just get your PH taken off your gross score.

Oldbutwise

Visit site
Assuming you're playing for fun and 12 is your course handicap then just take 14/18ths of that = 9 (rounded). For stableford you'd get strokes on the 9 holes with the lowest stroke indices of the remaining 14.

NearHull

Visit site
We have 9 holes closed, 5 of them on the front and 4 of them on the back. We played a 9 hole stroke play competition yesterday. it was set up on ClubV1 as a Cross Country Competition and strokes were allocated as the normal SIs. We entered 18 scores , the closed holes entered as 0. Seemed to work ok.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
NB. The score allocation will change in April.

From EG.
Use of an Expected Score for a Hole Not Played:
Improvements have been made to the method used to handle holes not played, which will now be based on a player’s expected score rather than a score of net par.
This new method will produce a 9-hole or 18-hole Score Differential™ that more accurately reflects a player’s ability. As golfers across the world are playing more 9-hole rounds, an expected score will also be used to convert a 9-hole round into an 18-hole Score Differential™.
The calculations used to calculate an expected score, includes ratings of standard difficulty, and are not shared by the USGA. This means the Score Differential™ will more accurately reflect the playing ability of the individual golfer.

Golf Monthly
The system will now feature improvements to the method used to handle holes not played, which will now be based on your ‘Expected Score’ rather than net par, using an automated calculation personal to each player. ‘Expected Score’ will also be used to calculate an 18-hole Score Differential when not all 18 holes are played for a valid reason, but if you start a hole but don't complete it, that hole will still be scored as net double bogey for handicap purposes as now.

Last edited:

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
Assuming you're playing for fun and 12 is your course handicap then just take 14/18ths of that = 9 (rounded). For stableford you'd get strokes on the 9 holes with the lowest stroke indices of the remaining 14.
I agree on this and think it’s how it should be. But we don’t do that and it results in favouring some and benefitting others but I can’t find anything on golf England or anywhere else to confirm it

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
Exactly the same as though it was full 18, I'd say, just some holes where you won't be able to use them. What format are you playing?
Stableford. But if closed holes have low index it is u favourable to lower handicaps. And if mid stroke are closed it is unfavourable to mid. Surely had to be proportionate

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
I agree with you but the club doesn’t and I can’t find this documented anywhere

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
That results in some people getting full shots some losing more shots so it becomes unbalanced and unfair

Mikeyfaz

Visit site
We have 9 holes closed, 5 of them on the front and 4 of them on the back. We played a 9 hole stroke play competition yesterday. it was set up on ClubV1 as a Cross Country Competition and strokes were allocated as the normal SIs. We entered 18 scores , the closed holes entered as 0. Seemed to work ok.
I think that is u fair based on which SI holes are closed

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I meant Stableford. But if you don’t get a nn/18 percentage it’s unfair
Singles or pairs or teams?
Competitions or casual/fun?
Matchplay?

There are rules for competitions and general play handicap rounds.
There aren't rules (yet) for 4BBB. There will be from April.
There aren't rules for teams (3 from 4 say) or casual/fun play

Last edited: