When everything else fails...

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
when i had my 3 wood it was my fail safe club but towards the end of the season it would be great 75% and sadly the other times it would cost me.

i think my go to shot is if i'm close enough for a full 60* wedge or 56* wedge is my knock down 48* wedge shot that i play.

it works wonders.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It used to be my Mizuno 4 iron hybrid but now it's my Ping 6 iron - seriously my best friend in the bag and can use it for a number of different shots...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've always found this a very strange concept if I'm honest. I like to think I'm equally capable (or incapable) with every club in my bag.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
6 iron. Always seem to hit it dead straight on par 5 lay-ups, so I'd rather hit that and leave a longer approach from the midle of the fairway, rather than having a cut with a rescue or fairway wood and playing the next from the cabbage.

Anders

Medal Winner
Visit site
Always feel most confident with a 6i in my hand regardless of how the rest of my game is going. Probably because as a kid I spent countless hours over the local school fields with my dad's 6i. Everything from flop shots to putting on the cricket pitch to bunker play out of the long jump pit :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
So stood from any distance, rather than try to get to the green (if def reachable, you would pull out the likes of an 8 iron? that screams crazy to me. I would still try the shot required, that is what the short game is for, making up for mistakes.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pick the club that will get the job done, if hit how I see the shot.

No favourites in the bag......they can all go on the naughty step at anytime

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So stood from any distance, rather than try to get to the green (if def reachable, you would pull out the likes of an 8 iron? that screams crazy to me. I would still try the shot required, that is what the short game is for, making up for mistakes.
Yea but if you are 200 plus out mate & your 200 yards clubs are acting up it might be better to cream the 6 iron close & set up a chip , than hack a 4 or a hybrid twice ..

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If im driving terrible with my 3 wood,i will take out my 5 rescue.
Ideal for 185 yrds and usually pretty safe.
Its definately all about confidence though,i think if i had as much
confidence with all my other clubs my handicap would be lower.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

^
^
^
This

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have considered it but thought I might appear a tad eccentric :whistle: I have been known to give it a big smacker though :eek:

Don't worry about seeming daft naming them... for a laugh I asked my Mrs if she wanted to name my new driver and 3-wood when I got them... they are now called Scampi and Chips!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yea but if you are 200 plus out mate & your 200 yards clubs are acting up it might be better to cream the 6 iron close & set up a chip

.......................... And then proceed to duff the chip and end up in the same predicament.

For me. If the 200 yard club is playing up, I'll keep hitting it until i knock some sense into it :smirk:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
.......................... And then proceed to duff the chip and end up in the same predicament.

For me. If the 200 yard club is playing up, I'll keep hitting it until i knock some sense into it :smirk:

Quiet possible Gareth, have done so , many many times :eek:ne:

if you were in a medal or any qualifying comp would you keep plugging away with a club that wasnt working for you ? surely that will just put you in bad form & nearly guarantee .1 back ?

Last edited:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Brendy makes a good point, but I've not heard anyone say specifically they go to a favourite club even if it meant they can't get to a reachable green. I was taking it that it was a safe lay-up club when green is out of reach, or a safe option off the tee. Perhaps I'm mis-interpreting the reponses and you're right.

If higher handicappers actually did this, ie hit 3-wood then couple of 9 irons to a long par 4, they'd probably score better than taking on daft shots their game isn't good enough to pull off. But how many of us were ever that sensible :mad: