When do you think you will next play golf?

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Ours want two days. Seems reasonable.
I agree two days to put in place any extra requirements for safe play, get Pro shop sorted, but courses should be in top condition they had no one on them for six weeks or more. Just wonder how many have ordered the ball retriever from that site to allow play rather than not touching flag ? Know our club has, that company will be making a fortune with a simple but genius idea. Have to say why didn’t the golfing authorities see this and recommend?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we continue as we are, with people flooding parks throughout the day but no golf allowed, I really won't understand the logic. Same with fishing - I'm not a fan of it myself, but it must be 100x safer than walking around a park.
I'm feeling this frustration too. The way I see it from general observation is people have give up and are out and about. It's crazy I'm allowed to stand in a b&q queue but can't go fishing. I was all for it at first by I'm getting agitated

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
In terms of getting the course back to a good standard; I have just had a walk around ours... The email they sent us yesterday said it will take 2 weeks to get up to scratch. From my unqualified opinion, I think ours will take longer than that. It looked in a right old state, with some greens higher than I would have expected, but with some glaring bald patches to go with it :(

Saying that, right now I would be happy to play on a WWI battlefield. Any golf is better than no golf.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've been told not to have our expectations too high on our return but as the green staff get more staff working and able to do more then it'll gradually return to normal especially the greens and the pace of them

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The government will (as they should) take a look at what is happening elsewhere, and make judgements based on that.

If golf courses are opening across Spain, where the virus was out of control at one point, they won't want to be seen in the UK to be less confident that the lockdown there has been succesful.
Don't be surprised if some courses open in a week - maybe, like here, those living in less populated areas will be the first to benefit.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that course will be given two, three weeks notice ahead of reopening for this very purpose. That is certainly what BIGGA wish to happen/do. As of yesterday that information had not been passed to clubs or members of BIGGA.
We’ve had another email from the club saying they need 24 hours notice. If it’s announced courses are open next week we will be open for play in the 12th.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree two days to put in place any extra requirements for safe play, get Pro shop sorted, but courses should be in top condition they had no one on them for six weeks or more. Just wonder how many have ordered the ball retriever from that site to allow play rather than not touching flag ? Know our club has, that company will be making a fortune with a simple but genius idea. Have to say why didn’t the golfing authorities see this and recommend?

I think you have to adjust your expectations on that front.

Just for instance...no members taking new divots also means no members sorting existing ones and filling stuff on tees that were there before we stopped playing. Significantly reduced greens teams won't have had much time to do that sort of general course tidying stuff. In the South East at least its also been really quite dry and so the growth over the last 6 weeks will not have been that rapid - and so even though we've fairway watering, our fairways will be fine but not immaculate.

And as much as the greens aren't being played on, all that really does is reduce pitch mark damage, I suspect that a lot of the work that greens teams will normally have been doing to the greens at this time of year, e.g. regular cutting to encourage growth, will have been reduced.

I for one have no real idea of what aspects of what greens teams do it is that drives the quality of the greens and the fairways. But quite simply over the last 6 weeks they won't have been doing so much of it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just for instance...no members taking new divots also means no members sorting existing ones and filling stuff on tees that were there before we stopped playing. Significantly reduced greens teams won't have had much time to do that sort of general course tidying stuff. In the South East at least its also been really quite dry and so the growth over the last 6 weeks will not have been that rapid - and so even though we've fairway watering, our fairways will be fine but not immaculate.

And as much as the greens aren't being played on, all that really does is reduce pitch mark damage, I suspect that a lot of the work that greens teams will normally have been doing to the greens at this time of year, e.g. regular cutting to encourage growth, will have been reduced.

I for one have no real idea of what aspects of what greens teams do it is that drives the quality of the greens and the fairways. But quite simply over the last 6 weeks they won't have been doing so much of it.
We put some mix out and the members walking the course for exercise have filled all the divots.
They have not grown yet as we have not had any rain fall for weeks.
Your right about greens and fairways they are just a bit long but look fine .

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk

I can only go on how our course looks and we have had two staff in all the lockdown. Having been chairman of the greens committee at my previous club for five years if the course isn’t looking in good condition now it really Ain’t going to do ever. No matter how many staff you have had, and as you say no rain so very little growth they have had six weeks or more to do all the jobs they can’t do this time of year usually as so many playing. It should take no more than two to three days to get the course, greens in particular cut to the correct height, but with no rain on forecast for two weeks here unless you have irrigation they won’t be lowering the height too much..

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can only go on how our course looks and we have had two staff in all the lockdown. Having been chairman of the greens committee at my previous club for five years if the course isn’t looking in good condition now it really Ain’t going to do ever. No matter how many staff you have had, and as you say no rain so very little growth they have had six weeks or more to do all the jobs they can’t do this time of year usually as so many playing. It should take no more than two to three days to get the course, greens in particular cut to the correct height, but with no rain on forecast for two weeks here unless you have irrigation they won’t be lowering the height too much..
In an ideal world yes they would have but they have been instructed to only do essential maintenance with guidance from BIGGA .
We've been running with just two when we would have six working now and despite applying Primo Max the two lads are only just keeping up . Thankfully it hasn't rained otherwise we'd be a lot further behind and that includes mowing all tees and surrounds with the widest fairway mower rather than dedicated tees and surrounds .
Having said all that if push came to shove we could open tomorrow but greens are still at 5.5mm

Mick68

Visit site
I've had an email from the club saying no golf for at least another 3 wks (in Scotland). Really disappointing - was hoping for earlier. Walking on the course today and is in great nick - greens appear to be cut to the usual playing standard - not sure why if we can't play for another 3 wks.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had an email from the club saying no golf for at least another 3 wks (in Scotland). Really disappointing - was hoping for earlier. Walking on the course today and is in great nick - greens appear to be cut to the usual playing standard - not sure why if we can't play for another 3 wks.
Coz the boss says so, cant blame her and expect similar in RUK. Problem is the media hiking up public expectations and then there will be far more "not sure whys".

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Because Nicola says so?