What's your ideal time to turn up for a game of golf?

What's your ideal time to turn up for a game of golf?

• An hour +

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • 30 to 60 mins

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • 30-45 mins

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • 10-30 mins

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • 0 - 10 mins

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
When do you like to arrive before a round of golf?

An hour + - take the stress out of everything, maybe have a bite to eat, enjoy a coffee, hit a few balls, roll a few putts, chat to the pro

30-60 mins - hit a few balls, roll a few putts, chat to the pro

10-30 mins - roll a few putts, chat to the pro

0-10 mins - Scream into the car park with a minute to spare, shoes undone, cursory apology and hit

I would be 10-30 mins, hate arriving late or rushing for anything, also don't want to be there too early and over-think things. Also don't want to hit balls or miss a load of putts

Please show workings so can use online

D

Deleted member 15344

10-30 mins

Arrive

Take clubs out , put shoes on , a few putts and a chat , then onto the first tee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on the time of day..
Early...30 mins or so....get set up, have a putt, tee off
Late...1 hour+..Time for lunch and then see above..

Reactions: DCB

G1z1

Visit site
10-30 mins don’t have a warm up just sit in the car. I’m one of they people who’s early for everything.

G1z1

Visit site
Eh? Don’t you go in and have a coffee or snack and chat to others?
No our clubhouse doesn’t open until around 10ish and I’m always out early even if it was open I wouldn’t go in, I am just there to play golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I'm playing at my own course, 15 minutes before tee off time. Park car, walk to clubhouse to log in for comp, walk back to car, unpack car, walk over to 1st, a 2 minute walk, as the group in front are walking down the 1st, swish club 2 or 3 times, tee off when the time is correct and it is clear to go.

If I'm at an Open or playing a different course then an hour before as I am making more of a day of it. Park car, walk to clubhouse, eat bacon sandwich and drink a coffee, chill. With 15 minutes to go, walk over to car, unpack, walk to the 1st, swish club 2 or 3 times, tee off when the time is correct and it is clear to go.

I have tried the whole, hit balls, practice putting malarkey and it made little difference. Turn up, play (y).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similar to LT, 10-30 minutes at my own course, longer if it is a day out as want to enjoy the whole day. Nothing better than pre round banter with the group over a bacon butty :cool:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I like to arrive an hour before tee time. Relax, get clubs out, have a chat to a few folk, find out what's going on, hit a few balls round our par 3 holes just to stretch, have ten minutes on the putting green before ambling off to the first tee with my group to laugh at the guys teeing off in front of us if we know them.

Over the winter, where it isnt conducive to having a warm up round the par 3's its been more like arrive 90 minutes early, up into the clubhouse for a fry-up and a coffee and some banter, 5 mins on the putting green and then head out to the tee (and still laugh at the group in fronts bad shots)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably about 15-20 minutes ideally. Hit a few balls in the nets, no more than fifteen though I shouldn't think. A few irons, a few woods or hybrids, then a few pitch shots and I'm done. Then hit a few putts, again probably no more than ten just to focus the mind. Then by that time we should be ready to go.

Years we used to arrive an hour early and have breakfast but that is an extremely rare occurrence nowadays. At our club now it's a bit of a mystery whether the kitchen will be open, or whether they'll serve breakfast - nobody else ever seems to be having any so we don't risk it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Honestly I'm a 0-10 kind of person. Especially in the cold.

Rock up, pay my dues, walk to the tee and whack it.

If I turn up with more time, I just stand around chatting and dossing. I don't warm up before a round, don't find it makes any difference at my level.

Also in comps the tees are always running behind, I've stood there for 20 minutes just getting cold before starting - not for me thanks!

D

Deleted member 1147

The pro who answered our questions the other year (can't remember his name), suggested about 45 minutes. Time for a warm up, putt and stretch etc.

RichA

Visit site
Normally arrive about 20 minutes early.
Book in, grab a hot chocolate, roll a fag, hit a couple of practice chips, touch my toes then tee off.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
30-45mins. Time to have a natter in the pro shop and in the bar; hit 12-20 balls on range; maybe grab 10mins of pro/coach for a quick freebie lesson; have a coffee and if morning I'll often have have a breakfast roll; 5mins on the putting green prior to tee time. And having done all of that spend 25mins whinging to the golf manager ;)

(note the last bit is maybe not totally true)

Albo

Visit site
Ideally 30-45, like to get there and actually warm up, hit a few clubs, 7i, pw, some chips some shanks, fats, thins etc. Then putt for a bit so I have no excuse when I go out to the 1st tee.

Reality is usually 0 - 5 but thats life

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
03-45 mins, no rush to get signed on (assuming its a competition round), then a few stretches, which are highly necessary owing to multiple old injuries (ok I'm just getting old), a few steady swings in the nets and a few putts and we are good to go.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The pro who answered our questions the other year (can't remember his name), suggested about 45 minutes. Time for a warm up, putt and stretch etc.

Barney? The one thing that would help me before a round of golf would be to stretch, as it is I just time my painkillers so I'm at peak mode come the 1st tee