What's your ideal time to turn up for a game of golf?

What's your ideal time to turn up for a game of golf?

• An hour +

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • 30 to 60 mins

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • 30-45 mins

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • 10-30 mins

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • 0 - 10 mins

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Usually arriving an hour before (more if I can) I find the time goes really quickly (but I love spending time at the course anyway & ‘a game’ is usually 7 hours+ from leaving home & getting back, the course is 2 mins away)

Drop clubs off, pay in the shop, warm up/practice then onto putting green, all takes up most of the time and I’ll see several staff to pass pleasantries with doing those things. Then maybe a drink while catching up with other players
Pee (more people should do this, can’t remember how many years its been since I’ve been caught short on the course)
Then hanging around near 1st tee 10 minutes before to see who’s going off

D

Deleted member 1147

Barney? The one thing that would help me before a round of golf would be to stretch, as it is I just time my painkillers so I'm at peak mode come the 1st tee
That's the fella. His response was:

"Ideally I think around 45 minutes is fine , and studies show after stretching then 25 full swings will be enough to get the swing loosened up. A few chips and pitches always good to gain feel in that department , and then rounding off with some putting. The key here is roll some between 25-40 ft range as this is most likely the length your opening putts will be, then finish off with some 3 footers to hone your holing out skills. A couple of deep breathes and you are ready to rumble !"

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really depends. just a normal Saturday, as near to tee off time as I can get away with. Normal Saturday but sunny, early enough to have a coffee on the patio before hand. Saturday at a club with an open kitchen and nice food, early enough for breakfast and a coffee before teeing off. Competition day, maybe 20 mnutes early to have lhalf a dozen putts and a couple of swings in the net so as I feel that I have put some effort in. Saturday after a late Friday, about 20 minutes after I am meant to be there as I have to get my wife to drop me at the club.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normally arrive about 20 minutes early.
Book in, grab a hot chocolate, roll a fag, hit a couple of practice chips, touch my toes then tee off.
Don't think you can slip that in without it being picked up :LOL:. Are you doing that sat down, knees bent or are you genuinely claiming you have that flexibility? Most on here are happy to see their, toes, touch their knees :ROFLMAO:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
30 minutes. 15 or so balls in the net/practise ground, 10 minutes chipping and putting then off to the first.

On a recent trip to Portugal the transport dropped us off just over 1.5 hours early. Had some food and a coffee, before spending an hour on the practise ground. Started great but by the end had developed a bad pull hook. Was the worst day of the 3 scoring wise by a long shot.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
At my home club, about 15 minutes early, clubs and shoes, a few putts, maybe a tea and then straight to the first tee,

If I'm playing away, I like to be there more than an hour, chill, have a sarnie, few putts, hit a few practice shots on the range/ in the nets. Then tee off

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I'm playing at my own course, 15 minutes before tee off time. Park car, walk to clubhouse to log in for comp, walk back to car, unpack car, walk over to 1st, a 2 minute walk, as the group in front are walking down the 1st, swish club 2 or 3 times, tee off when the time is correct and it is clear to go.

If I'm at an Open or playing a different course then an hour before as I am making more of a day of it. Park car, walk to clubhouse, eat bacon sandwich and drink a coffee, chill. With 15 minutes to go, walk over to car, unpack, walk to the 1st, swish club 2 or 3 times, tee off when the time is correct and it is clear to go.

I have tried the whole, hit balls, practice putting malarkey and it made little difference. Turn up, play (y).

This is pretty much me too. Only ever do a few stretches and swings for a couple of minutes before teeing off, whether it’s a social round or a competition. If it’s a round at a different course, I might have a coffee/roll while having a look at the yardage book/scorecard/app before doing so.

If it is a seniors interclub match, home or away, we all arrive 30-45 minutes before first tee slot for a coffee with team mates and our opponents … then, 15 minutes before my tee time, I go to the car, unpack and straight off to the first tee where I will just do a couple of minutes of stretches and swings before teeing off.

Mike79

Visit site
30 mins or so... get organised, few putts, buy a juice in the pro shop, natter or introductions with whoever I'm playing the round with. Not one for warming up on the range, although it would probably be of benefit!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was a member at my previous club there was free range balls and the driving range was pretty close to the first tee. I had convinced myself that I needed to hit 20 to 30 balls before I went out if I wanted to play well.

When I joined my current club it was just before lockdown, The driving range is a bit of a pain in the neck to get to which makes it quite time-consuming.

So now I warm up in the net, roll a few putts and get on my way. Surprisingly since then, my handicap is actually come down.

D

Deleted member 31582

If the kitchen is good, home or away, and as I’m always a preferred morning tee time, before 10am, I’ll arrive 1hr+ before, book in, and then have a full breakfast, then 20-30 minutes before my tee, I’ll have a few putts, a few chips, and ‘sometimes’ a few swings in the net.

If I don’t have as much time, then the warm up will give way to the breakfast, then it’s a couple of swishes on the tee and off I go…

Fuel is more important to me than a rigorous warm up ?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As always - it depends.

In a comp, 10 to 30 minutes is ideal as I just wanted to get to the tee, meet & great fellow competitors and play.

In a social round or roll-up, it's an hour+ to have a drink, blether, do the draw and generally take it easy.

Springveldt

Visit site
I always intended to get there 30-60 minutes before tee time so I can go to the practice area, hit 20-30 balls, go hit lag putts on the practice green for 5 minutes and hole out from 3 feet for a couple of minutes, pay into the comp, swing my speed sticks like a maniac hoping not to pull my back out and then tee off.

What usually happens is I arrive 10 minutes before tee off time, rush the shoes on, run to the putting green and hit 5 putts, pay into comp, swing sticks on the 1st tee then tee off hoping for the best.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
About 45mins a few practice chips, putts and some swinging of the clubs. Do the card if it's a comp, maybe a few more putts and loads of looks at my watch to wonder if my regular playing partners are going to arrive more than 2 minutes before tee off. If they get there 5 minutes before it's an " this has got to be the earliest that you've been late"

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
An hour minimum if there is a decent practice facility.
Start with putting, then chipping, then pitching, then full swing with wedge, 8, 6, 4, 2, 3w driver. Then straight to the first tee and tee off as soon after as possible.
Stating the obvious, the first tee shot counts the same as the last one so why wouldn't you give yourself the best chance of making a good start.

D

Deleted member 23270

Usually arriving an hour before (more if I can) I find the time goes really quickly (but I love spending time at the course anyway & ‘a game’ is usually 7 hours+ from leaving home & getting back, the course is 2 mins away)
You sir are my kind of golfer ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually 30 minutes before tee off. Don't bother with practice, unless it's a ko, then I have a hours knock round the par three. BUT......if you're asking what ACTUAL TIME.......then the best I've ever played was in an afternoon. Never done it before or since, it was a player v par comp and we were chasing a ridiculous -8. I got to -7 and should have been better.