What?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Didn’t do the big hitting Americans any good on the tight Ryder Cup course this year. Like someone else posted, if you’re long and wonky then you shouldn’t be able to wedge it onto the green. Some of those courses on the PGA tour are a joke.

Statically, Europe putted better than the USA, that is where games are won and lost. (y)

As for the courses on the PGA being "a joke" that is purely subjective however, there is no shortage of players wishing t get on the PGA tour, so my guess is they are probably pretty good. ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Didn’t do the big hitting Americans any good on the tight Ryder Cup course this year. Like someone else posted, if you’re long and wonky then you shouldn’t be able to wedge it onto the green. Some of those courses on the PGA tour are a joke.

My pro went to the Ryder Cup and reckons that the half of the Americans don't have swings that'll ever find a narrow fairway whereas the Europeans all have technically good swings and their accuracy is better as a result

D

Deleted member 18588

Whilst I would agree that many courses on the PGA Tour are vulnerable to the "bomb and gouge" brigade it would be wrong to think that there are not plenty of similarly styled courses on the European Tour.

D

Deleted member 18588

My pro went to the Ryder Cup and reckons that the half of the Americans don't have swings that'll ever find a narrow fairway whereas the Europeans all have technically good swings and their accuracy is better as a result

Well that doesn't apply to McIlroy and several others on the European team who also missed fairways

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm more interested to know how does one tell the difference between a European swing and a USA swing if they weren't in different coloured clothing :unsure:

His view was that the USA had many more quirky swings e.g. Bubba, and that they hit the ball massive distances but accuracy was not premium and that golf in the US is more based on showmanship than technique and the courses on the PGA are set up more for low scoring than the ET courses are.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
His view was that the USA had many more quirky swings e.g. Bubba, and that they hit the ball massive distances but accuracy was not premium and that golf in the US is more based on showmanship than technique and the courses on the PGA are set up more for low scoring than the ET courses are.

Bubba aside, most of that US team have fairly solid swings, JT/Spieth/Woods/DJ/Simpson/Fowler/Finau/Brooks...all good swings to my eye, may be only BdeC is a bit quirky but so is Fleetwoods and Sergios.

Baring in mind, the US team came over with a few in poor form, Bubba and Phil particularly but also Read.

D

Deleted member 18588

And yet the average winning score in ET strokeplay events (72 holes) this season is approximately 18 under par

That doesn't suggest the courses are that tough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of the PGA courses are resort type courses and a lot of the long hitters can simply chuck it out there and not worry too much about where it goes as there is usually a route out and any hazards aren't in range. Once the courses become more penal at certain events, you can see how their mentally changes and they will hit three woods (still close to 300 yards on occasions) to try and keep it in play. You could level the same argument at some of the ET venues as well and driver can be used knowing there is minimal risk. Again some venues (Valderamma etc) are far more penal and place a premium on accuracy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of the PGA courses are resort type courses and a lot of the long hitters can simply chuck it out there and not worry too much about where it goes as there is usually a route out and any hazards aren't in range. Once the courses become more penal at certain events, you can see how their mentally changes and they will hit three woods (still close to 300 yards on occasions) to try and keep it in play. You could level the same argument at some of the ET venues as well and driver can be used knowing there is minimal risk. Again some venues (Valderamma etc) are far more penal and place a premium on accuracy.
Phil Mick recons he’s wasting his time playing tight courses so won’t play them anymore.
That tells you all you need to know , but he’s not the only one on both sides of the pond.
It’s about entertainment on tv similar to footy .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Phil Mick recons he’s wasting his time playing tight courses so won’t play them anymore.
That tells you all you need to know , but he’s not the only one on both sides of the pond.
It’s about entertainment on tv similar to footy .
The US TV audience love a birdie fest and so it comes down to a putting competition. You're right that while Mickleson came out and was honest about it, many others definitely set their schedules in the US and the ET based on how forgiving it is

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Bubba aside, most of that US team have fairly solid swings, JT/Spieth/Woods/DJ/Simpson/Fowler/Finau/Brooks...all good swings to my eye, may be only BdeC is a bit quirky but so is Fleetwoods and Sergios.

Baring in mind, the US team came over with a few in poor form, Bubba and Phil particularly but also Read.

Good swings to your eye but not, it seems, to his trained eye

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Good swings to your eye but not, it seems, to his trained eye

I've already said Europe putted better, that's how they won, not because the US missed all the fairways.

Just out of interest, your pro, club pro or internationally recognised pro ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've already said Europe putted better, that's how they won, not because the US missed all the fairways.

Just out of interest, your pro, club pro or internationally recognised pro ?

It doesnt really matter as you'll not accept a view different from your own

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm more interested in his credentials cause it's the first time I seen, read or heard anyone make such comments about the US swings in the RC and their quickyness :eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm more interested in his credentials cause it's the first time I seen, read or heard anyone make such comments about the US swings in the RC and their quickyness :eek:

He's a pro who teaches and knows about swing differences and said that a number of the US team had idiosyncrasies in their swings that, in his opinion, made it difficult for them to hit 20'ish yard wide fairway whereas all the Europeans had similar ball strike characteristics and generally were more accurate

I really don't care whether you agree or accept his views as, like most posts here are simply opinion, and it's rare that you accept anyone else's I'm happy to accept what he tells he

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
He's a pro who teaches and knows about swing differences and said that a number of the US team had idiosyncrasies in their swings that, in his opinion, made it difficult for them to hit 20'ish yard wide fairway whereas all the Europeans had similar ball strike characteristics and generally were more accurate

Do you have the stats hit for fairways hit by each side ?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I really don't have to prove someone else's opinion

Are you on the crack pipe again ?

I never asked you anything of the sort, I asked you have you seen the fairways hit stats from the 2018 Ryder Cup ? A simple yes or no would be suffice (y)