What?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So there you are playing the 553 yd Par 5 9th at TPC Summerlin and you smoke your drive 340yds. You would be pretty pleased with yourself, right?
Well, until your PP knocks it 42 yds past you... and puts it right in the middle of the fairway.
He then takes a Wedge for his second shot into this par 5. Well he would, wouldn’t he. After all, he is only left with 168yds, what else is he going to take?
All of which makes the game pretty easy, I guess.
Welcome to the world of Cameron Champ.

Then again, he finished T28 ( not sure what happened later in the round) 10 shots behind the winner, so maybe big hitting doesn’t necessarily mean low scores. But some of these numbers coming off the tour now are incredible.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have no problem with long straight hitting. You've hit a good shot and should be rewarded for it.
Hit the same length shot and miss the fairway by 30 yards and you shouldn't be able to do a similar thing.
And, as you say, he obviously wasn't able to capitalise on this advantage that often.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely a problem imo.

Courses for the Pros have to be set up completely differently imo and obviously a lot of designs are completely redundant now and / or need a good bit of wind to keep the scores sensible.
Bunkers that are laid out for most golfers, or even elite players from 10 years ago, aren't even in play for a lot of big hitters now.

Sure, players with length should have an advantage but it shouldn't be easier or less risky to take driver and there should be a greater premium on accuracy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know the original comment was said in jest, but definitely agreeing with this response. After a shaky start to his final round he won holing 5 or 6 big putts on the closing holes.
never heard of the guy TBH, comment i jest as you say. but a lot of the long hitters must lack something ???

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't be too bad, after all he won last week!

Last week was on a wide open Muni, proper micky mouse course.

Granted I saw only a little of that coverage but included him blasting onto another fairway, duffing a simple punch shot under trees and a few other nasties.

Came away thinking that he can hit a ball, but he's not a golfer.

Might not be fair as wasn't more than an hour's worth of coverage.

Id happily swap with him though!

D

Deleted member 18588

Last week was on a wide open Muni, proper micky mouse course.

Granted I saw only a little of that coverage but included him blasting onto another fairway, duffing a simple punch shot under trees and a few other nasties.

Came away thinking that he can hit a ball, but he's not a golfer.

Might not be fair as wasn't more than an hour's worth of coverage.

Id happily swap with him though!

Having watched him several times I would have to disagree with you.

He certainly doesn't appear to be one-dimensional and not just long bit generally straight.

Must be a bit useful to win so soon into his PGA Tour career having only just graduated from the web.com

D

Deleted member 18588

What's this Champ guy's secret then? He doesn't look particularly big yet he's outdriving everyone now?

I would imagine clubhead speed of more than 129 mph with the driver helps.

Apparently he has exceptional power and speed in his hips.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's this Champ guy's secret then? He doesn't look particularly big yet he's outdriving everyone now?
He rocked up at the Sweep Golf Accademy a few months ago. I told him if he was ever going to make a living at the game he would need to up his swing speed and get his smash factor in order. We also tweeked his takeaway and got him to come a little less over the top which is a problem with most amateurs. Getting him hitting with an upward strike with the driver worked wonders.
Seemingly he took my advice.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having watched him several times I would have to disagree with you.

He certainly doesn't appear to be one-dimensional and not just long bit generally straight.

Must be a bit useful to win so soon into his PGA Tour career having only just graduated from the web.com

2nd in driving distance but 201st in driving accuracvy on the PGA stats (hes hit 53% of fairways), even when he won he didnt hit half the fairways! He is definitely long but generally straight is pretty generous based on what Ive seen of him

Ping promo video of his driver swing and stats

D

Deleted member 18588

2nd in driving distance but 201st in driving accuracvy on the PGA stats (hes hit 53% of fairways), even when he won he didnt hit half the fairways! He is definitely long but generally straight is pretty generous based on what Ive seen of him

Ping promo video of his driver swing and stats

Yes I probably was a bit generous but then straight doesn't seem that important on the PGA Tour these days.

As for his hip turn it's probably best if I don't watch that at my age and with my arthritis!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes I probably was a bit generous but then straight doesn't seem that important on the PGA Tour these days.

The emphasis in the modern game is on length not on direction, so these guys play to their strengths, the sooner the dinosaurs realise and accept it the sooner they'll get over themselves (y)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The emphasis in the modern game is on length not on direction, so these guys play to their strengths, the sooner the dinosaurs realise and accept it the sooner they'll get over themselves (y)
Didn’t do the big hitting Americans any good on the tight Ryder Cup course this year. Like someone else posted, if you’re long and wonky then you shouldn’t be able to wedge it onto the green. Some of those courses on the PGA tour are a joke.