What would you score around Valderrama?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Has anyone played it? Whoever you speak to it seems like one of the hardest courses to play to anything like your handicap, with all the angles, ridiculous greens and balls stuck up trees. The good news is that it's 'only' 7,000 yards, the bad news is that you could make a treble from anywhere. Think the Slope Rating is 133...

Given I can't chip other than an humongous flop shot I don't think I'd get over 20 points/break 90

Bobthesock

Visit site
Not that difficult from the yellows, had 27 points but had a massive slice all day which I don't normally have. Did put off the green into the water from behind the 17th though. Decent par chance turned into an 8

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Have watched the Andalucian Masters there a few times, and it is incredibly tight. Just hitting a fairway doesn't guarantee a shot at the green. Definitely need a good short game as you are going to miss a lot of the small greens. That rules me out.:(

Think I would rather play a stableford than a medal round there. 24 points with five blobs.(y)

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We got kicked out just for taking photos. We were playing San Roque up the road, swung by the car park and lasted two minutes by the 18th green before we were politely asked to do one. So I am level for my time spent there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hard to say having never having seen the course, if the slope is 133 it's lower than my home club which is 134, so who knows?

CountLippe

Visit site
Played it off the yellows. No long but tight, tighter than it looks as you can get blocked out. Greens are small but if you can handle a lob wedge no reason you shouldn't play to handicap. Perfectly manicured. When I played it the bunkers had crushed white marble instead of sand, which was weird, although I believe this may have changed now.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I think I shot 107 when I played it some 25 years ago! I've still got the scorecard somewhere!

D

Deleted member 23270

78 off the back tees when I played it a few years ago. Made par on 17th which was a highlight :)

sunshine

Visit site
We got kicked out just for taking photos. We were playing San Roque up the road, swung by the car park and lasted two minutes by the 18th green before we were politely asked to do one. So I am level for my time spent there.

We wandered in no problem, it was the day before the tournament started. We had just played San Roque and were wearing golf clothing, so maybe the security thought we were on tour :LOL:. We had a good chat with some of the Italian and Swedish players.

Just beautifully manicured, even the targets on the practice ground were better than the greens at your average golf course. The fairways were normal width, but the overhanging branches of the trees made their effective width much narrower.

IanMcC

Visit site
Still many people equating slope with difficulty. Course rating is more a true measure of difficulty. The blue tees are rated 76.1, more than 5 over par. The blue slope is 147. I'm single figures and I don't think I would break 120.

Attachments

• Valderrama.PNG
    Valderrama.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 14

Bobthesock

Visit site
Still many people equating slope with difficulty. Course rating is more a true measure of difficulty. The blue tees are rated 76.1, more than 5 over par. The blue slope is 147. I'm single figures and I don't think I would break 120.
Not even sure they are playing off the blues this week as those yardages are far too short. Unless the yards are actually metres