What would you score at Royal St George's?

D

Deleted member 18121

I think I'd score somewhere around the 110-120 with how it looks on TV now.

I played princes a couple of summers ago in similar conditions, admittedly off the yellows, and scored mid 80s.... So I think an extra shot (or so) on every hole is doable.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the hard of thinking:
Club champ stated that with a low wind and ball spotters (as per the OP).
If he hit every shot perfectly, he might shoot 78-80.

Which frankly is possible for a perfect round.

He also stated that otherwise his score would be a lot higher.

Try reading threads/posts properly before being knobs.
Thank you.
It seems they didn’t understand my post.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a perfect, sunny, calm day 6 handicap me plotted my way around Birkdale in 78 off the yellows. I played the best golf of my life that day I reckon, had the 2 iron on a string all day and only pulled driver 3 times. Fairways and greens. No 3 putts. Stuff of golfing dreams and probably my favourite golfing memory. Stunning course.

As I had the place to myself (played through 2 groups early and saw no one the rest of the round), I often took a walk back to the back tees just to see what’s what. My 2 iron wouldn’t carry on many holes and I’d be forced into driver. What’s more if I made it I’d have 200+ in to plenty holes. Not the wedges and 9 irons I was gifted off the yellows. And the pins weren’t exactly Open locations either, I was forever above the hole but lagged well and tidied up. The caddies at St Andrews and Carnoustie showed me the Open pin placements and frankly madam they are ridiculous.

If I shot 90 there, or any Open venue off the back tees with those pins, I’d be so chuffed to bits Id explode. I reckon I’d need my A game, a hot putter and a little luck. It’s doable imo, but only on a dream day. If anyone would like to fund that dream I’ll set up a Justgivememoneytoplaygolf page.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a perfect, sunny, calm day 6 handicap me plotted my way around Birkdale in 78 off the yellows. I played the best golf of my life that day I reckon, had the 2 iron on a string all day and only pulled driver 3 times. Fairways and greens. No 3 putts. Stuff of golfing dreams and probably my favourite golfing memory. Stunning course.

As I had the place to myself (played through 2 groups early and saw no one the rest of the round), I often took a walk back to the back tees just to see what’s what. My 2 iron wouldn’t carry on many holes and I’d be forced into driver. What’s more if I made it I’d have 200+ in to plenty holes. Not the wedges and 9 irons I was gifted off the yellows. And the pins weren’t exactly Open locations either, I was forever above the hole but lagged well and tidied up. The caddies at St Andrews and Carnoustie showed me the Open pin placements and frankly madam they are ridiculous.

If I shot 90 there, or any Open venue off the back tees with those pins, I’d be so chuffed to bits Id explode. I reckon I’d need my A game, a hot putter and a little luck. It’s doable imo, but only on a dream day. If anyone would like to fund that dream I’ll set up a Justgivememoneytoplaygolf page.
Biggest difference I have ever seen in normal tees to the pros tees was at Sawgrass.
The tips were a good wedge shot from the medal tees on some holes.
But 17 th was just the same length.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Biggest difference I have ever seen in normal tees to the pros tees was at Sawgrass.
The tips were a good wedge shot from the medal tees on some holes.
But 17 th was just the same length.

Yeah on the face of it it doesn’t look like a huge difference on some holes, but then you realise the angle into the fairways is much tighter from their tees and two of the par 5s for us are 4s for them. And the carries are makeable with a good hit but I would hate to play it in the wrong wind! Would be a humbling* experience.

*Curls reduced to tears saying someone take me home to my mammy please I don’t like this.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

(78 - 75.2) x 113/138 = 2.3 my current HI

But that is based on my best 40% of recent rounds.

On a typically average day and with lack of familiarity of the course I should expect to be around 81 to 83 shots.

Around 18 shots worse than the best scores there this week. And that would be a realistic score for me on any course that the best in the world are playing.

A shot-a-hole worse than the best on the day, says this 3-handicapper.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah on the face of it it doesn’t look like a huge difference on some holes, but then you realise the angle into the fairways is much tighter from their tees and two of the par 5s for us are 4s for them. And the carries are makeable with a good hit but I would hate to play it in the wrong wind! Would be a humbling* experience.

*Curls reduced to tears saying someone take me home to my mammy please I don’t like this.
Played Orange County National the day after the Q school off the back 7600 soaking wet at 7am.
Couldn’t get on the par 4s with two woods ,driver on most par 3s.
So 6500 yds no more now learnt our lesson.
The only good thing was the bunkers were out of reach at 280 yds average.

D

Deleted member 1147

I read it perfecty well and still chuckle over 6 handicappers who think they can shoot the same as Mickleson in a Major.

And you're a knob if you think otherwise.
Struggle with reading and comprehension then…I understand ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Surely Golf Monthly can pull some strings and get a few single handicappers on at St George’s and do an actual story on it?

Film it for your YouTube channel and have a number of the GM staffers to be spotters and see what the scores will be?

Last edited by a moderator:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Eric Anders lang has a break 90 from the tips at a few us open courses I think they were.

It's certainly not impossible. Hes a decent player but far from good. Hits a decent ball.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely Golf Monthly can pull some strings and get a few single handicappers on at St George’s and do an actual story on it?

Film it for your YouTube channel and have a number of the GM staffers to be spotters and see what the scores will be?

I'm struggling to think of any single figure handicap players who'd want to do it ???

D

Deleted member 25172

I'm struggling to think of any single figure handicap players who'd want to do it ???

Well any handicap golfer really but anyone who can manage the carry that some of the holes require.

To answer the question, the way I'm playing at the moment, I think I'd shoot somewhere around 120, 110 on a "good" day. If playing my absolute best, I don't know, 90?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well any handicap golfer really but anyone who can manage the carry that some of the holes require.

To answer the question, the way I'm playing at the moment, I think I'd shoot somewhere around 120, 110 on a "good" day. If playing my absolute best, I don't know, 90?

but you'd set a new course record for swearing!