Royal St George's

jchubs

Assistant Pro
www.golfdaysuk.co.uk
Having just seen the Muirfield thread and just back from a jaunt down to Sandwich, I wanted to post how good Royal St George's is!

We played RSG last Friday and Prince's on Saturday. RSG was simply amazing and if you haven't played there, you should put it on your list! The wind was blowing about 35mph which made it even harder but it is one of those courses that doesn't have a bad hole and is a real test of your golfing skills!

Shame we played Prince's the day after RSG as this probably took the edge off it, but Prince's is also a very good courses (we played Shore and Dunes) and highly recommended!

With regard to RSG, we thought it would be really 'stuffy' and we would be very unwelcome (reading a lot of reviews before we went) but safe to say the whole experience was excellent, yes you do have to change into a jacket and tie for the clubhouse after 11, but I didn't mind, just really added to the day and made you feel like you were somewhere special and exclusive - well you are really!

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, played it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went on the winter package which was about £60 at the time and included lunch, not sure what the current deal is but I thought it was excellent VFM. Played it off the back tees as directed by the starter, made some of the holes real beasts!

Just looked at your sig, played your course a few times and it is always great fun, especially the holes around the middle of the course.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played Princes twice the other year, so got all 27 in.

They have a festival week in August, which has a few very cheap opens in it. I enjoyed all 27 holes.

One of the fellas I was playing with has played RSG and Royal Cinque 10+ times each, and he rates Royal Cinque even higher than RSG.In the next few years I'll try and get RSG and Royal Cinque in over the same holiday, nice part of the world as well.

I may be down your way in August, looking forward to it.

jchubs

Assistant Pro
www.golfdaysuk.co.uk
We paid a bit more than £60 and didn't get lunch... but didn't mind as it was well worth it! How big is that bunker on the 4th?!!

Prince's was very good, but would like to play it again as the wind was blowing 50mph and the heavy rain was coming down sideways so not much fun!

I did consider RCP instead of RSG but glad we didn't as I can't see how it can be better.. one for the next time we are down that way I think!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played it some years ago and agree that it is a great experience. Made me realise what a big step up an Open venue is in terms of difficulty, and there wasn't even any wind the day I played. A real challenge mentally as well as technically. Also agree that it is better to play Prince's first. You can see RSG from some of the holes there which whets the appetite that little bit more.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Have played Princes a couple of times and will probably never go there again.

Wouldn't mind playing St Georges just once, but I get the feeling the green fee is out of my league.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We paid a bit more than £60 and didn't get lunch... but didn't mind as it was well worth it! How big is that bunker on the 4th?!!

Prince's was very good, but would like to play it again as the wind was blowing 50mph and the heavy rain was coming down sideways so not much fun!

I did consider RCP instead of RSG but glad we didn't as I can't see how it can be better.. one for the next time we are down that way I think!

I think the opens were about £35 each, but were during the week. I played in a stableford and a medal one. I got a 3rd place in one as well. :)

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is something special about RSG - much more than I was expecting - hard to quantify - call it the X factor. The course is very good - and, as mentioned, the lunch is awesome - maybe only the Berkshire coming close (with Swinley slightly behind). Also, probably the best showers and changing rooms I have ever used. It is a much nicer setting than RCP (which has an ugly sea wall and a slightly underwhelming 1st and 18th) but that course is also really good, with some of the best natural features you will ever see - although, overall, I would give the nod to RSG - but 2 great courses next to each other - haven't played Princes yet but had a drive in and it looks by a margin the third best - but there has been a huge investment since Troon took over.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There is something special about RSG - much more than I was expecting - hard to quantify - call it the X factor. The course is very good - and, as mentioned, the lunch is awesome - maybe only the Berkshire coming close (with Swinley slightly behind). Also, probably the best showers and changing rooms I have ever used. It is a much nicer setting than RCP (which has an ugly sea wall and a slightly underwhelming 1st and 18th) but that course is also really good, with some of the best natural features you will ever see - although, overall, I would give the nod to RSG - but 2 great courses next to each other - haven't played Princes yet but had a drive in and it looks by a margin the third best - but there has been a huge investment since Troon took over.

I think that, living reasonably close to the 3 courses that you have graded them spot on. I havnt played RSG yet but prefer Littlestone over Princes

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
RSG. Home of the finest golfing lunch ever known to man.

Indeed, staggeringly good! Though Muirfield's probably matches it
Hankley Common and Swinley are just below those 2.

As for the golf course...RSG is top notch, big, bold, but perhaps a little unsubtle - as in just plain tough everywhere! Staying in the Dormy House is an experience as well. Winter deals are quite a bargain, but weather can be a bit severe.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
RSG. Home of the finest golfing lunch ever known to man.

Try The Berkshire lunch if you havnt already.....:) V difficult to do the second round in the afternoon or in fact move at all! Arguably one of the nicest tracks in the area as well. My golf shoes and trolley came off there cleaner then they went on in the middle of winter!

Would love to play RSG but its a million miles away from civilisation!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try The Berkshire lunch if you havnt already.....:) V difficult to do the second round in the afternoon or in fact move at all! Arguably one of the nicest tracks in the area as well. My golf shoes and trolley came off there cleaner then they went on in the middle of winter!

Would love to play RSG but its a million miles away from civilisation!

Ah. I knew there was a bit more competition at that '2nd level'. Certainly the equal of Swinley/Hankley.

A nice summer day, Red in the morning, Blue in the afternoon and lunch in between is probably the one of the 2 best day's golf available in England! Sunningdale is the other. Yet to test those 2 against Saunton's pair.