What would you score playing off the front tee's?

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
I put an idea forward to my clubs ladies captain the other day that they should let everyone play off the forward tee's for Ladies Captains Day to see who can go the lowest! She liked the idea and the commitee are discussing it (i.e the grumpy old male biggots need to decide if they want to be embarrased)

What do you think you would score around your own place of the forward tee's?
Would you change your approach to most holes and hit irons off the tee, or try and get as close as possible on as many holes as you could?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So much will depend on the holes and tee differences.

The Red tees are a measured mens course as well for us, but they aren't used for Q comps - - but they are used for other comps.

Basically it's a different course, and you play it as such. Whether you use an iron of some tees will be down to your game and have no relevance to the fact that they are red tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my course I would shoot a decent amount lower, I am quite certain. I think 7-10 shots better. A lot of danger is removed from the reds so my 3 off the tee potential is largely removed for starters. I should add that I have plenty of space for improvement so the number of shots I would save is not as big a claim as it would be for a lower h/c golfer.

There would certainly be some holes where I would take an iron or rescue off the tee instead of driver. That would make sense.

Good luck in getting this through, it sounds a lot of fun.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It might be relevant to note that our SSS's are 74 (blue) 73 (white) 71 (yellow) and 67 (red - for men)

So the issue of how much easier is a relative one to both the players capabilities (if the distance enables them to reach a lot of holes that they previously couldn't then the difference for that person may be greater than the SSS difference - if you can already reach them all from the back tees then it probably won't make as much difference.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We play our 3 club comp from the forward tees, so I've played from them half a dozen times.

As already pointed out, it pretty much removes all trouble from the tee shot so driver isn't a dangerous choice, and they also straighten out most of the dogleg holes.

Pretty sure I would be at least scratch from them, and would expect to break 70 when playing well.

Having said that, if we also played to the ladies card (ie par) I would get somewhere into the plus hc's I think.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't know because I've no idea where many of the Red tees are!!
Some are on the same area but some are off in a different direction completely.....
I'll try to remember to have a look next time I'm out....

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a good 6/7 as the longer par 4's would Defo be reachable in two.And a lot of the fairway bunkers would not be in play as well as a few massive trees we have that protect/hang over the fairways.And we have two par 3's one at 240 and the other at 195 and the Red tees must be a good 80 yards closer.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We play a supper club every Wednesday and last week was off the reds. 25 points (off 18) won. I think a lot of the low handicappers would go very low, as it'll make many holes reachable off the tee and the par fives would all be in range. Not sure it's been suggested to do a full eighteen though

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played off the Ladies Tee's a couple of years ago with a mate and he shot something like 8 or so under gross and i was 6 under.

all the par 3 are 30 yards shorter, five of the mens par 4's are par fives for the ladies and the two par 5's and one par 4 on the back 9 you carry all the trouble with ease and so hit a downhill landing area which kicks the ball further forward. So holes that are drive . then wood/hybrid for the 2nd shots are just a flick with a SW.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Note not entirely sure it would be THAT much better. It's par 74 off the reds, so 2 par 4s turn to par 5s and are definite eagle opportunities.
I would, however, love to give it a go some time!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Note not entirely sure it would be THAT much better. It's par 74 off the reds, so 2 par 4s turn to par 5s and are definite eagle opportunities.
I would, however, love to give it a go some time!

You really, really, must ignore par - it's irrelevant!

Most Reds are about 1000yds shorter than the Mens tees - which will usually mean they play about 5 shots different; and most other things being equal mean they would have an SSS of 5 less.

As crops up frequently in discussion around Tips and tees of the day, some will find the yardage difference really significant to them and will score better that the rating difference, and some won't.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not much difference round our track. None of our shorter par 4s would become driveable - and they depend upon accuracy off the tee in any case. No significant distance reduction on three out of four Par 5s. The fourth par5 might be reachable in two in good conditions. Par 3s are Par3s and whites/red tees are close. Our two hardest par4s where the Red tee is well in advance of the White are long and into the prevailing wind. Definitely more likely to get a couple of pars on these when 5s are normal. So I'm thinking I maybe two shots better off Reds max. Our ladies handicaps travel well!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to turn it around - at my old course I played to handicap off the whites. It's not the longest course so I don't get to use driver much and basically it was driver off almost every hole - including 2 of the Par 3's. We used to have a great match - Men v Ladies - they played off the reds and we played off the whites. We got an extra shot a hole which was uber generous for the longer hitters but not enough for the shorter ones! The guys did struggle working out when to go for it and when to lay up - in both cases what club to use...good fun!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going to put my hands up and say I don't think it would make that much difference to me. There's only about 4 holes where there's a serious difference in length between the red & the white. And only on two of them would it mean I'm likely to get to the green in two when I can't already. And I am perfectly capable of naffing up a short hole as I am a long one. So, perhaps a couple of shots?

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Never been consistent enough to call my score but if i played reds all the time I would be scratch no doubt about it

Holes 1 to 3
10 to 20 yard advantage first 3 holes then

HOLE 4 70 YARDS
HOLE 5 120 YARDS (Turning a blind and tricky par 4 into a 300 yard shot down a massive hill (Long par 3 in effect#

Hole 6
10 yards ish

Hole 7 to 9
10 to 15 yards each

Holes 10 to 12
10 yards avg each

Hole 13
No difference

Hole 14
Over 100 yards turning a par 5 into a quite driveable hole and dead cert birdie hitting anything less than driver off the tee

HOle 15
30 yards

HOle 16
45 yards making a normally out of reach hole within range and way easier off the tee due to tee position

Hole 17
90 yard difference, 490 yards becomes 400 yard par 5

HOle 18
10 yards difference.

Got to think 3 or 4 shots better on average would be reasonable.

Last edited: