Cack-handed/cross-over grip/‘Hurling’ grip

Oldirish

Visit site
Hello fellow golfers and enthusiasts. I am into my 3rd/4th year playing golf. Starting in late 2019. I have roughly played 7/8 times a year. Having played 22-26 games at the same course. But recently my passion for playing is sky rocketing.
I am cack handed. A trait I picked up from playing the game ‘Hurling’ nearly my whole life. A game I played a lot. I mean ALOT. It’s now transpired into my swing and I am comfortable with it. I find I am improving certain aspects myself. I have a small 100-120 yard practise area near by. Which has come in handy since my desire for playing has grown slowly in recent years. As a result my sand wedge and lob wedge work is pretty good. However I do struggle for the right loft when I’m on the course in the same distances. Particularly about 7/8Feet+ lower then the hole and I need the ball to sit a bit more on landing. When shooting from 90+ yards this is not as much of an issue as my cack handed swing arc also means I can strike a higher club with a bit more verve, and trust the flight arc will be relatively controllable. Working with a somewhat consistent 20-30yard run on with most irons.
As for drivers and woods. I did start with a draw, sometimes hitting high on the toe of the club face. I do slightly tend to a small draw naturally still. And when required i struggle to fade right with out a massive slice. I too experienced the low loft drive issue but would nearly confident that has changed for the good. I can still slightly top the ball sometimes. But still travels. 2 of my friends and I began at the same time and I am now the straightest, longest drive, which drives them crazy, particularly being unorthodox in my grip. All in all I am quiet happy with my driving. To fix the draw I first took a step back from the ball. Being too close meant I was pulling the club into me on the downswing to try and bring it in on time for contact. I then tried slowing down on the back swing. I ‘think’ this meant I am not snatching the club or pulling at it at all, or if I am it is not at such an early stage of the swing as the moment you go from back swing to downswing. I also stand with an ‘11’&’1’ o clock stance with my feet. The open leading foot I thought would help open the shoulder up on the follow through. And get the chest facing the target. To fix the low loft drive. I lowered the tee a small bit. And placed the ball parallel to the heel of my opened left foot. This has done wonders. Starting to really catch the ball just after the apex of the swing. I do feel I can somewhat choose from a low loft to mid+ loft drive. Unfortunately extremely high lofting eludes me. But my driver is only 9degrees. Last round of 9 I hit 5/5 fairways with the driver. I bailed on the 6th and took the tee shot with my 4 iron. Played safe and stuck middle of the fair way.
My biggest down fall by far in a way is my putting. The aspect of the game I have least enjoyed practising but also the one that requires a particular playing area to practise. I ave 3 putts a hole. To be precise it’s actually 3.2 putts. If i could take one putt less I would be hitting sub 95 regularly. As of now I attempt to break 100. Hitting 98/101/99/103/106 in my last 5 games. Luckily being cack handed doesn’t make putting tips as difficult to find as other golf strokes. Which has led me to write this long thread. Which I hope can help other novice golfers like me. But particularly cack handed golfers. I hope my sharing golfing Pros and cons help at least one other person and with a bit of luck I find my sub 100/95coach is in here waiting to respond to this post.
Any advice welcome. All cack handers welcome. We don’t need to hide anymore

Oldirish

Visit site
To add to this I would describe my game as currently improving,yet relatively fragile. I’m already experiencing my first sense of improvement and excited to improve my putting before the end of the summer. Hopefully I can check in with a sub 95 some day. I am sure I will develop issues and problems in time also. But the basics are going well so far.

C7usk

Visit site
Hi oldirish, sounds like you've caught the bug my friend...lol. I will not even attempt to give you major tips (apart from get on the practice green and get some putting drills from youtube) as I am not in anyway good enough to... Sounds like your hurling playing days will help for sure... I have only met 2 cackhanded players in my life... There's a guy at my course who is off 1 or 2 so it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get to a good standard just because your grip .. Glad to hear your enjoying your golf.... Good luck with your game.. ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A guy at my previous club played like this, was off 2-3. Hit everything like an exocet, mid 20's, athletic, strong, but did struggle with loft on shorter shots. It will limit certain shots but clearly it can work for some.

In essence, if it is working for you then carry on and keep enjoying yourself.

Chambers2289

Visit site
Fellow crack handed here, I’ve only been playing 3 years myself, started out with a set of irons didn’t even have a driver, 5 iron was going about 180 consistently, but like you say the flight was always low, finally got to drips with a driver and hybrid when I got a G425, can now drive consistently 230 or so with a very small fade, my first handicap was 26.2 under the old system, now between 14-15 at the minute, the putting will come with practice, I average well under 2.5 putts per hole, the practice is key with it, my best round was a 75 and have broke 80 on numerous occasions, and a lot of the time it does boil down to the putts, if you can sneak a few 1 putts in per round you’ll soon be bringing that average down, another thing it took me a couple of years to do, was when I’m inside 50 yards now, instead of trying lofted wedges into the green, which can be a problem with the grip so they come out too low and fly the green, so I practiced for months bump and running an 8 iron, which 9/10 times now will leave me on the green, then it’s all down to the putter, which as I say again all you can do is keep practicing and the smoother stroke will hopefully come!

Oldirish

Visit site
Fellow crack handed here, I’ve only been playing 3 years myself, started out with a set of irons didn’t even have a driver, 5 iron was going about 180 consistently, but like you say the flight was always low, finally got to drips with a driver and hybrid when I got a G425, can now drive consistently 230 or so with a very small fade, my first handicap was 26.2 under the old system, now between 14-15 at the minute, the putting will come with practice, I average well under 2.5 putts per hole, the practice is key with it, my best round was a 75 and have broke 80 on numerous occasions, and a lot of the time it does boil down to the putts, if you can sneak a few 1 putts in per round you’ll soon be bringing that average down, another thing it took me a couple of years to do, was when I’m inside 50 yards now, instead of trying lofted wedges into the green, which can be a problem with the grip so they come out too low and fly the green, so I practiced for months bump and running an 8 iron, which 9/10 times now will leave me on the green, then it’s all down to the putter, which as I say again all you can do is keep practicing and the smoother stroke will hopefully come!
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. It is very exciting to hear what you have achieved with your game in such time. I don’t if that should make me hopeful or not. I would guess due to our grip, that we have faced similar challenges and tried resolving them in similar ways. I have only just started working on the ‘bump and run’ and so far it’s been a mix of under-stuck, over-struck and run too far or the right bump but not reading the line as well as others so usually end left or right of the hole by a margin. But certainly a skill I am happy to try take on board and help get that score down. Thank you for the advice. I usually leave the 8 at home and use the 7, would you suggest the 8/9 more so in these sorta strokes? the putting is the focus of my summer. So hopefully I can be posting some improvements soon

Oldirish

Visit site
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. It is very exciting to hear what you have achieved with your game in such time. I don’t if that should make me hopeful or not. I would guess due to our grip, that we have faced similar challenges and tried resolving them in similar ways. I have only just started working on the ‘bump and run’ and so far it’s been a mix of under-stuck, over-struck and run too far or the right bump but not reading the line as well as others so usually end left or right of the hole by a margin. But certainly a skill I am happy to try take on board and help get that score down. Thank you for the advice. I usually leave the 8 at home and use the 7, would you suggest the 8/9 more so in these sorta strokes? the putting is the focus of my summer. So hopefully I can be posting some improvements soon
I think the pitch and putt might be as good as the driving range or being out on the course atm.

Oldirish

Visit site
A guy at my previous club played like this, was off 2-3. Hit everything like an exocet, mid 20's, athletic, strong, but did struggle with loft on shorter shots. It will limit certain shots but clearly it can work for some.

In essence, if it is working for you then carry on and keep enjoying yourself.
Hi oldirish, sounds like you've caught the bug my friend...lol. I will not even attempt to give you major tips (apart from get on the practice green and get some putting drills from youtube) as I am not in anyway good enough to... Sounds like your hurling playing days will help for sure... I have only met 2 cackhanded players in my life... There's a guy at my course who is off 1 or 2 so it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get to a good standard just because your grip .. Glad to hear your enjoying your golf.... Good luck with your game.. ?
thank you for the reply. I have caught far worse bugs :) thank you for the words of encouragement. From this thread alone I have figured out that a bit of time at the pitch and putt would serve me as much good as anything else atm.
I do hope to check in with some improvements on the next scorecard hopefully.

Chambers2289

Visit site

So the 8 is my “go to” if you like, but you mentioned in your opening post about being below the green, in that instance I’ll tend to use a 9 iron just for that bit of extra loft, I found when I was trying to get used to the bump and run that pace control is above all else, you may thin a few, you may fat a few, but if the pace is roughly correct, the ball will still go around where you want it to go distance wise, then the accuracy seemed to get better just because the pace was there or thereabouts.

Raynolan

Visit site
Hello fellow golfers and enthusiasts. I am into my 3rd/4th year playing golf. Starting in late 2019. I have roughly played 7/8 times a year. Having played 22-26 games at the same course. But recently my passion for playing is sky rocketing.
I am cack handed. A trait I picked up from playing the game ‘Hurling’ nearly my whole life. A game I played a lot. I mean ALOT. It’s now transpired into my swing and I am comfortable with it. I find I am improving certain aspects myself. I have a small 100-120 yard practise area near by. Which has come in handy since my desire for playing has grown slowly in recent years. As a result my sand wedge and lob wedge work is pretty good. However I do struggle for the right loft when I’m on the course in the same distances. Particularly about 7/8Feet+ lower then the hole and I need the ball to sit a bit more on landing. When shooting from 90+ yards this is not as much of an issue as my cack handed swing arc also means I can strike a higher club with a bit more verve, and trust the flight arc will be relatively controllable. Working with a somewhat consistent 20-30yard run on with most irons.
As for drivers and woods. I did start with a draw, sometimes hitting high on the toe of the club face. I do slightly tend to a small draw naturally still. And when required i struggle to fade right with out a massive slice. I too experienced the low loft drive issue but would nearly confident that has changed for the good. I can still slightly top the ball sometimes. But still travels. 2 of my friends and I began at the same time and I am now the straightest, longest drive, which drives them crazy, particularly being unorthodox in my grip. All in all I am quiet happy with my driving. To fix the draw I first took a step back from the ball. Being too close meant I was pulling the club into me on the downswing to try and bring it in on time for contact. I then tried slowing down on the back swing. I ‘think’ this meant I am not snatching the club or pulling at it at all, or if I am it is not at such an early stage of the swing as the moment you go from back swing to downswing. I also stand with an ‘11’&’1’ o clock stance with my feet. The open leading foot I thought would help open the shoulder up on the follow through. And get the chest facing the target. To fix the low loft drive. I lowered the tee a small bit. And placed the ball parallel to the heel of my opened left foot. This has done wonders. Starting to really catch the ball just after the apex of the swing. I do feel I can somewhat choose from a low loft to mid+ loft drive. Unfortunately extremely high lofting eludes me. But my driver is only 9degrees. Last round of 9 I hit 5/5 fairways with the driver. I bailed on the 6th and took the tee shot with my 4 iron. Played safe and stuck middle of the fair way.
My biggest down fall by far in a way is my putting. The aspect of the game I have least enjoyed practising but also the one that requires a particular playing area to practise. I ave 3 putts a hole. To be precise it’s actually 3.2 putts. If i could take one putt less I would be hitting sub 95 regularly. As of now I attempt to break 100. Hitting 98/101/99/103/106 in my last 5 games. Luckily being cack handed doesn’t make putting tips as difficult to find as other golf strokes. Which has led me to write this long thread. Which I hope can help other novice golfers like me. But particularly cack handed golfers. I hope my sharing golfing Pros and cons help at least one other person and with a bit of luck I find my sub 100/95coach is in here waiting to respond to this post.
Hey OldIrish, Nice to see an honest thread about the cack handed golf grip, i myself have only started in earnest last year, its the consistence that gets me down, i play with some golfers with the proper grip and i can out drive them on most holes, but a great drive on holes 1 and 2 is followed by slice on hole 3, fine on hole 4, huge slice on 5 etc.etc. It is the club selection as well that hampers me somewhat, selecting an 8 iron because i think i can hit it as hard as the proper grip golfers, where a 9 would have been a better option. its all about the correct stance for me, do you know of any videos or diagrams or the correct standing position, am i standing to close to the ball, or to far from the ball.... so many questions... Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

HPIMG

Visit site
My cousin plays crack handed he’s also left handed but plays with right handed clubs so he looks really quite awkward when playing golf but he can play. He maybe only plays 10/15 rounds a year doesn’t like playing in winter and always looks to break 80. He doesn’t have an official handicap but it would be single figures

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have met a few Irish guys who have hurled in the passed and have converted to golf keeping the same grip. One guy was off 5 so it did him no harm

Raynolan

Visit site
Any details on stance etc? any help would be great...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
NI fella at my club plays cack-handed and hits a mighty long driver, but rest of game doesn’t quite match up. Don’t know if that’s got anything to do with his grip, or just golf…

banterranger

Visit site
Hi guys, very interesting read. I too play with the "hurling" grip for the same reason as sport in my youth. I've only been playing about 18 months and once a month (tough to get out with young kids). The bump and run technique is definitely something I'll be trying as my wedge work around the 50/60 yard mark is so inconsistent (unless I have the perfect lie I just can't get the loft).

My driver is what I wanted to get a tip on if possible. I drive about 220/230 when I catch it, but it's with a massive fade (anything up to 40yds left to right). So much so it's a running joke on how far left I've to aim to keep it on the fairway. I've tried a few different feet positions, dropping the hind foot back, closing off my body etc. No matter what, that fade is there. Do any fellow cack handed golfers have any tips on straightening out that drive? Cheers