If you went full time, how low could you go?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Years ago I knew a guy who said that if we could all work on our games like the pros, we would all be playing scratch. I think that is nonsense - there are some guys I know who could probably work on their games 60 hours a week and would still struggle to break 90.

But what do you think you would get your handicap down to if you say had 1 year, and you could devote up to 40 hours a week to the game? I'm currently off 10 and I think I could possibly get down to 3.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
+ 8 at least. Plenty of people have done the whole hacker to hero thing. They seem to plateau pretty quickly. I guess a lot depends on your starting point.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmmm.....at my age, nearly 58, I'd doubt I could get 'that' low. Perhaps down to 7 I imagine.......some of best round ever have been when I havent played for a while !
I always joke that I should 'Play less more Often' !

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That’s a question that I have thought about and the answer is I honestly have no idea. I would like to think that I could get to single figures, but that’s not a given.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not much lower than I am now. All the time in the world would not get rid of the fact that I find driving ranges boring and really could not motivate myself to spend all day practicing. Add to that age, weight, and a dodgy back from years of scrummaging and I would be hard pressed to hit more than a big bucket of balls in one go anyway. Oh and the lack of natural talent may impact as well. May, at a real push get down to 11 or 12 but really never going lower than that.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming I also had pro-level resources, scratch. If anyone would like to fund this experiment I will set up a crowdfunding page.

Give generously, I promise not to blog about it. If you don’t give generously, I will vlog every practice session and explain how I’m getting much closer to scratch as I hit the high 20s.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly low teens, possibly.

In reality I lack the skills and desire to put in that much effort so I will keep on bobbing along. My competitive, really competitive kick your granny to win, days are behind me now and I am quite chilled about that.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think the body would break before I got good, as I would need to undergo major swing changes.

But probably around 3 to 4 range.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Plenty of people have done the whole hacker to hero thing. They seem to plateau pretty quickly. I guess a lot depends on your starting point.
Yeah, I think its hugely important at where you are starting from. I daresay though that a higher handicapper would be able to drop further in percentage terms, and quicker.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on which course I would be attempting this. Last place I was at I could probably get to 5. At my current place maybe 9. Most courses have some holes where you have to be a bloody good player to consistently par them, and that is where I get duffed up.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I reckon low single figures, however if I could do it say in Florida for a yer with great all round weather i think that would also really help, hard work over here what with the weather etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really difficult to answer. Instinctively I would say about 8 or 9. Even if I was playing every day I'm never going to work that hard at it. And everyone's going to hit a wall at some point where no amount of practise improves them - the limit of their natural talent if you will. I don't hit it a long way, and I would never push myself hard enough to get down near scratch in spite of that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
easiest way to get to scratch would be to turn pro... job done, no practiceor hours on the range:ROFLMAO:

When i first started i had just retired and didn't really do much esle during the week (didn't play weekends) soon got bored TBH, if i was 20/30 maybe but not now.

D

Deleted member 1147

Would I have access to physios, PTs etc

If I had the time to practice I'm sure I could get to somewhere near scratch, it's only a 4 shot drop, but not necessarily in one year.
My main issue is that my body doesn't take kindly to range sessions, or being hours stood over putts etc. So I would need the full professional team; masseuse, physio, personal trainer, coach, psychologist etc

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would I have access to physios, PTs etc

If I had the time to practice I'm sure I could get to somewhere near scratch, it's only a 4 shot drop, but not necessarily in one year.
My main issue is that my body doesn't take kindly to range sessions, or being hours stood over putts etc. So I would need the full professional team; masseuse, physio, personal trainer, coach, psychologist etc
if that were the case i would go for the full Tiger team as long as it included lots of slutty looking blondes:LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always been able to play as much golf (within reason) as I wanted to and used to practice for an hour or so every day. The lowest I got to was 5 (SSS to par -2).

Had I started golf at a much younger age I might have gone lower, reaching my best at the age of 50.

Wolf

Visit site
Could possibly get back down to low end of cat 1 like I was back when I was 19 and golf was all that mattered with all practice i was doing. However I don't have the inclination to commit that much time anymore golf really isn't that important to me now, it's just a hobby and not bothered about handicap anymore. If I had that much time on my hands now there's much more I'd do with it than practice or play that often.