If you went full time, how low could you go?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would I have access to physios, PTs etc

If I had the time to practice I'm sure I could get to somewhere near scratch, it's only a 4 shot drop, but not necessarily in one year.
My main issue is that my body doesn't take kindly to range sessions, or being hours stood over putts etc. So I would need the full professional team; masseuse, physio, personal trainer, coach, psychologist etc

Same as this.

Full time golf with all the trimmings I'd be surprised if I couldn't play to scratch around my home club.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Assuming decent health... I'd be bored rigid within a month and would start missing practice sessions. The other problem would changing my swing from something that is well ingrained, with all its wrinkles, to something better(?).

However, assuming a fair wind scratch would be easy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had six months off when I was made redundant about 12 years ago and played most days. Did I get better? Marginally by a shot or so but I didn't work too much on my game (or practised as smartly as I could have) and to be honest probably ended up stale and over golfed.

I think were money no issue and I had the time then with decent and regular coaching, and focused on the 100 yards and in area and the short game/putting then I think I could get from 12.8 to around 10. After than it would be about kicking on to realise my single figure goal

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
20 years ago I set out to find this out with professional; his honest assessment was 2.

This was in my 40's with 20 years already played, and a Handicap around 8.

Back surgery curtailed the completion of the exercise (Not golf caused).

I didn't start young enough to ingrain a swing mentality suited to better aspirations - We were spending most of the time trying to take muscles out of the swing that were causing expensive (unplanned) misses.

I should add that this represents the answer to the question "how low could I have gone?"

Right now I am going the other way because of failing physical bits!

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Low single digits I reckon, based on getting to 12 at my best when being a casual golfer a few years back. I’ve still got decent enough distance to keep up with good amateurs and never had a worthy short game so I’d spend time on that and be confident of getting to category 1.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Would you be playing the same courses, in the same conditions, as the pro's do???
That would make a big difference.
I've often wondered how a pro would get on during the depths of winter on some of the crap we have to play on. Rain filled bunkers, hollow tined greens, sand not raked, sloshy mud around aprons that they had to try to chip off of.
I doubt many of them would break par.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am a nervy pillock who doesn't like or trust change, so swing changes are next to impossible. I almost never fully commit to any golf shot, and never hit the ball how I do into an indoor net, where there is no outcome. Add to that age, and injuries, and I think I could get back to single figures, just about. With a fair wind, I might do that anyway.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Years ago I knew a guy who said that if we could all work on our games like the pros, we would all be playing scratch. I think that is nonsense - there are some guys I know who could probably work on their games 60 hours a week and would still struggle to break 90.

But what do you think you would get your handicap down to if you say had 1 year, and you could devote up to 40 hours a week to the game? I'm currently off 10 and I think I could possibly get down to 3.

A few things on this.

I actually think attitude is far more important than time. If you really want to improve you will find the time to do proper practice. 40 hours a week is a crazy amount of time to stay focused and in reality a lot of handicap golfers would benefit from hugely from 1 or 2 hours of measured, dedicated practice. I'm not sure a lot of tour pros would be practising 40 hours per week, even in off weeks.

I think a lot of regular players don't practice and even those that do practice don't do it with enough structure and thought (totally guilty myself on this).

I also think it's easier to stay at a particular level than get to a particular level. If you work hard and improve your ball striking or putting or chipping etc. I think you will retain that skill to a reasonable level, even if you don't practice or have a few months off in the winter. So get that skill in the bank and you should have at least raised your floor for the years to come.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I currently play off 10, I'm 34 years old and relatively fit and healthy. I'm pretty confident I could get down to scratch. Even with the small amount of practice I've put in this winter I feel like I've got a good chance of coming down at least a couple of shots this year.

I play with a couple of scratch golfers now and again and whilst at the moment they are miles ahead if I could practice full time I'm pretty sure I could get to that level. The key thing would be how you spent that 40hrs a week practicing. To give you the best possible chance you would have to make sure it was structured not just playing golf willy nilly.

I'm not saying it would be easy though. Have many people listened to the chasing scratch podcast? A couple of guys tried to get down to scratch in a year but whilst still maintaining work commitments and family responsibilities. It's quite a good listen for those of you who haven't seen it.

D

Deleted member 25172

I currently play off 10, I'm 34 years old and relatively fit and healthy. I'm pretty confident I could get down to scratch. Even with the small amount of practice I've put in this winter I feel like I've got a good chance of coming down at least a couple of shots this year.

I play with a couple of scratch golfers now and again and whilst at the moment they are miles ahead if I could practice full time I'm pretty sure I could get to that level. The key thing would be how you spent that 40hrs a week practicing. To give you the best possible chance you would have to make sure it was structured not just playing golf willy nilly.

I'm not saying it would be easy though. Have many people listened to the chasing scratch podcast? A couple of guys tried to get down to scratch in a year but whilst still maintaining work commitments and family responsibilities. It's quite a good listen for those of you who haven't seen it.

Quite similar to you. 37, play off 9. Think with time and resources I could potentially reach scratch or at least very low single figures. My biggest hurdle would probably be the thing that sits between the shoulders as a missed shot on the first hole could still be haunting me playing my approach shot on 16, just as an example.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had six months off when I was made redundant about 12 years ago and played most days. Did I get better? Marginally by a shot or so but I didn't work too much on my game (or practised as smartly as I could have) and to be honest probably ended up stale and over golfed.

I think were money no issue and I had the time then with decent and regular coaching, and focused on the 100 yards and in area and the short game/putting then I think I could get from 12.8 to around 10. After than it would be about kicking on to realise my single figure goal

Absolutely coaching would be a huge factor. More than time. And if you could find a good coach and commit the money (and a bit of time) to take regular lessons and accept that you are going to have to make adjustments (and possibly get worse before you get better) that would also be a bigger factor than simply hvaing 40 hours of time to practice / play.

I realise that I don't hit the ball that far, I hit it far enough for my level, but if am able to get a few more shots off by improving from 100 yards and in (and get into the low teens) I will plateau without getting more distance and giving myself a few 100 yard par 3s to really help my score.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Quite similar to you. 37, play off 9. Think with time and resources I could potentially reach scratch or at least very low single figures. My biggest hurdle would probably be the thing that sits between the shoulders as a missed shot on the first hole could still be haunting me playing my approach shot on 16, just as an example.

Yes the mental part is obviously huge and that's probably harder to improve on than technique. I guess you could say that if you improved your technique dramatically then it may go some way towards improving your mental strength as well because you would know that you had the ability to recover from a dropped shot or two. Hard to say for sure though because it depends on what type of person you are.

I think it also depends on what level of natural ability you've got as well. I'm not talking about the natural ability pros have etc but even at ameature level you need some natural hand / eye / body coordination to be able to play decent golf and some people just struggle with that. I'm relatively new to golf but I've picked it up quite quickly whereas some of my other friends have struggled. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm trying to emphasise the point that how low you could go would depend on some level of natural ability for the person to learn the necessary movements and motor skills.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I think (in the nicest possible terms) that there are a good number of deluded people on the forum who do not understand how difficult it is to get really low. I have bounced about between 4/5/ and 6 since I was 16. I've never managed to get anywhere near 3. I get to 4 and stay there for a couple of weeks and after 2 maybe 3 competitions I'm back at 5.

The level of golf that is required to get below 4 if phenomenal. Its not just 4 shots its a whole different world of ability. I take my hat off to really good golfers its a different game these guys and girls play from me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I think (in the nicest possible terms) that there are a good number of deluded people on the forum who do not understand how difficult it is to get really low. I have bounced about between 4/5/ and 6 since I was 16. I've never managed to get anywhere near 3. I get to 4 and stay there for a couple of weeks and after 2 maybe 3 competitions I'm back at 5.

The level of golf that is required to get below 4 if phenomenal. Its not just 4 shots its a whole different world of ability. I take my hat off to really good golfers its a different game these guys and girls play from me.
I'd agree, the easy bit it getting to 5 below that is a whole different ball game.