If you went full time, how low could you go?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Having a fair bit of clubhead speed would help.

When I look around the low guys at my club, all of them to a man hit it 20 past me at least.
plenty of older guys at mine that are maybe 2,3 and 4 are around the same distance as me or a couple are less, but all the guys scratch and better are 50 yards plus...on a bad day:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 1147

Would you be playing the same courses, in the same conditions, as the pro's do???
That would make a big difference.
I've often wondered how a pro would get on during the depths of winter on some of the crap we have to play on. Rain filled bunkers, hollow tined greens, sand not raked, sloshy mud around aprons that they had to try to chip off of.
I doubt many of them would break par.
They’d kick the crap out of us!
We held some pro/am comps a couple of years back, over winter.
The minor tour pros (Europro, Challenge, Jamega, 1836 etc) kept winning.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been having lessons with a pro who has competed in 250+ European Tour events for a few years now. The lessons, combined with a lot of structured practice, and playing far too much golf got down fairly quickly from 10 to between 7 and 8, Then, last season I bounced between 5 and 6.

Whilst I have shot the odd 2 or 3 over in competitions, and a fair few even par rounds in bounce games, to get to scratch is far harder than I think people on here believe. The repeatably of scratch golfers swing and a razor sharp short game is something that i'll never be able to achieve. I think i could get to 4 at a push.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've been having lessons with a pro who has competed in 250+ European Tour events for a few years now. The lessons, combined with a lot of structured practice, and playing far too much golf got down fairly quickly from 10 to between 7 and 8, Then, last season I bounced between 5 and 6.

Whilst I have shot the odd 2 or 3 over in competitions, and a fair few even par rounds in bounce games, to get to scratch is far harder than I think people on here believe. The repeatably of scratch golfers swing and a razor sharp short game is something that i'll never be able to achieve. I think i could get to 4 at a push.

Agreed, you basically have to be able to play under whatever handicap you are aiming for, on a regular basis...and the 0.1 per shot deduction in cat 1, make it very slow progress once you are down there, along with the 1 shot buffer. Meaning you can easily go down 0.1 one weekend and up 0.1 the next, without shooting significantly different scores.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Agreed, you basically have to be able to play under whatever handicap you are aiming for, on a regular basis...and the 0.1 per shot deduction in cat 1, make it very slow progress once you are down there, along with the 1 shot buffer. Meaning you can easily go down 0.1 one weekend and up 0.1 the next, without shooting significantly different scores.

Will the new Handicap system make it easier or even harder then?

D

Deleted member 1147

Will the new Handicap system make it easier or even harder then?
God knows

I once did a calc, based on my best 8, of the last 20, above CSS - that took me down 1 shot iirc
(but I don't thin they will use a CSS, so I don;t know what it will be like)

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Back to the original question, I’d hope to get to mid to low 20’s this season, high to mid teens next, and I’d like to think I could top out at low teens in a few years.

Largely because, even full time, my body wouldn’t take much more practice than I’m already putting in.

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm off 9 just now and my weekly golf routine is to smash 100 balls at the range on a Wednesday lunchtime and then show up 20 minutes before tee time on a Saturday, hit a couple in the net, hit 3 or so chips and set off down the first.

My heart says I'd get down to 2 or 3 if I went full time for a year but realistically I'd hope to get to be a cat 1 player. I've played with guys off of +1 to 3 and I'd just never have that consistency and more importantly the mentality. I'm pretty hard on myself on the course and I find it hard to forget about a bad shot, it's my major weakness. Well that and all the chunks I throw in every round.

Some people don't realise how hard it is to be a scratch golfer, you would need to have numerous rounds under the CSS to get there. I don't think you can even get ESR's when you are cat 1.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If I could practice 8 hours a day 6/7 days a week I reckon I'd be plus 3 or 4. That's about 4 times the amount of time I spend on my game at the moment and an improvement of 3 shots hcap wise which I think would be quite reasonable. Unfortunately I have to work, just need to keep putting lottery tickets on I guess

User20204

Visit site
If I could practice 8 hours a day 6/7 days a week I reckon I'd be plus 3 or 4. That's about 4 times the amount of time I spend on my game at the moment and an improvement of 3 shots hcap wise which I think would be quite reasonable. Unfortunately I have to work, just need to keep putting lottery tickets on I guess

Do you listen to the talk golf podcast ?

They were talking about how many + players there is now compared to years ago. They mentioned Sergio when he was off of +5 which was crazy at the time, said there's quite a few in Fife alone nowadays.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to the original question, I’d hope to get to mid to low 20’s this season, high to mid teens next, and I’d like to think I could top out at low teens in a few years.

Largely because, even full time, my body wouldn’t take much more practice than I’m already putting in.
Thats my thinking too. I did 90 balls and 30 minutes putting yesterday and my back is killing me. I usually hit 60 ball buckets, and I will not hit more that that again. Maybe 72 when I manage to go off peak.

I would have to spend the majority of the time in the gym or at the physio and don’t have the motivation for that.

I would like to get my real handicap down to 30 this year, and my imaginary full time handicap to 17, just so I can regularly play at least 1 par a round.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you listen to the talk golf podcast ?

They were talking about how many + players there is now compared to years ago. They mentioned Sergio when he was off of +5 which was crazy at the time, said there's quite a few in Fife alone nowadays.
No mate, I am plus 1 but have been stagnant between scratch and plus 1 for about 3.5 years, hoping to get lower this year, been practicing hard over winter so hoping the changes show themselves to be worthwhile

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
High single figures easy.

If you throw in a coach mid single figures.

Getting much under 6 would be my limit if I am just guessing, probably a touch too old to go lower. 10 years ago I could probably have made scratch.

User20204

Visit site
High single figures easy.

If you throw in a coach mid single figures.

Getting much under 6 would be my limit if I am just guessing, probably a touch too old to go lower. 10 years ago I could probably have made scratch.

That's interesting, I'm lower now than I was 30 years ago and I'm in my mid 50s

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I fully expect to be lower in my 50s than I was in my 20s. I only got to 11 and never realised my potential.

I was lower in my 50s, but wait till your mid 70s. Then distance goes and fatigue comes in?.
The swing seems the same shape etc but the wumph goes!!
Good news is I'm still vertical and on the Course

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I currently play off of 2 and manage a grand total of one game every 7 days with no practice in between (most of the time).
if I were able to play full time I reckon I could get my game down to maybe +1.