What was your Open experience like?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They must have done something to improve it then as it was awful on the Friday - and those times were almost exactly when we left! Got on buses absolutely fine at both ends but we were immediately stuck in a jam when we got into Sandwich.

They had people posted on the route stopping buses for a few minutes so busses the other way could come through. Waited no longer than 5 minutes I'd say. Worked really well.

D

Deleted member 1147

Queues were stupidly long

Wasn't that hungry when started but when got there was starving lol
On wednesday & thursday we found the queues at the main entrance not too bad, but those in the middle of the course were very long.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
They must have done something to improve it then as it was awful on the Friday - and those times were almost exactly when we left! Got on buses absolutely fine at both ends but we were immediately stuck in a jam when we got into Sandwich.

We left when the last 2 groups were playing 17 and 18 on Saturday 5 minute wait for the bus and, about, a 10 minute wait at one stage in Sandwich - all quite brilliant really ?

Sproughton

Visit site
Went on Friday and had a lovely time generally. First time watching a proper tournament and enjoyed the golf side of it hugely.

Food & drink was a massive let down; huge queues (20-45 minutes), running out of food and running out of beer. There's so much space that a few additional food and drink stands wouldn't have been difficult to add. Didn't think the food itself was up to much either.

I went by train which was nice and easy but met up with mates who took 2 hours getting from the park and ride to the course and they ended up walking because nothing was moving.

Would happily go again but would take my own food

Raziren

Visit site
Went on Friday and had a lovely time. It's a great event but doing a quick brain dump, you just sometimes wonder who is in charge of arranging some of the basic stuff:
- park and ride was well run, just the roads were too narrow for 2 way traffic so they had to manage that by alternating the flow, which led to delays and a lot of sitting on 'hot' buses. Surely they could have had a one way loop.
- the covid certificate was a joke. not scanned and not even matched to a name on ID or the ticket. I think everyone who walked in could have used the same screenshot of a covid pass.
- was expecting to be able to buy a water bottle at the entrance to use the free water dispensers. As someone else mentioned above, this seemed a bit of an oversight. And a water bottle in the shop was £35!! how will this encourage people to ditch plastic bottles?

my other takeaways are
- i was there before but forgot the scale of the place & some of the spectator paths were like BMX tracks.
- the toffs/members walking around in their long socks looked ridiculous
- if you're sitting in the stands, dont forget to put sun cream on your knees & lower thighs - ouch!!
- thought the vaccination tent was a great idea and it was being used which was good to see.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went on Friday and had a lovely time. It's a great event but doing a quick brain dump, you just sometimes wonder who is in charge of arranging some of the basic stuff:
- park and ride was well run, just the roads were too narrow for 2 way traffic so they had to manage that by alternating the flow, which led to delays and a lot of sitting on 'hot' buses. Surely they could have had a one way loop.
- the covid certificate was a joke. not scanned and not even matched to a name on ID or the ticket. I think everyone who walked in could have used the same screenshot of a covid pass.
- was expecting to be able to buy a water bottle at the entrance to use the free water dispensers. As someone else mentioned above, this seemed a bit of an oversight. And a water bottle in the shop was £35!! how will this encourage people to ditch plastic bottles?

my other takeaways are
- i was there before but forgot the scale of the place & some of the spectator paths were like BMX tracks.
- the toffs/members walking around in their long socks looked ridiculous
- if you're sitting in the stands, dont forget to put sun cream on your knees & lower thighs - ouch!!
- thought the vaccination tent was a great idea and it was being used which was good to see.

Yes defo a bottle stand at the start would have been perfect

Yes could get from the bar at start but I didn't know that until I had walked past and asked someone

A lot of staff didn't know which I thought was bad..If they that serious everyone should know and they should be central

The fact power banks were everywhere and I mean the guy walked round why not have a bottle guy?

Glad someone else thought covid passport was badly done

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was there every day. Loved it. Thought the organisation and set up was awesome. It was just brilliant to watch the top golfers playing a course on my doorstep. The practise days were a pleasure to watch and some interesting preparation went on, with some players and caddies spending 30 minutes on a green trying to work out where to land it and where the pins might be etc.
Another observation, the majority of players who hit it in the rough in practise just picked up their ball and lobbed it onto the fairway to hit. I admired their confidence, but found it odd to not practise hitting out of the jungle!