What to do when you catch a "friend" cheating......

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Smiffy I totally feel for you on this. I have a similar issue with someone I play with and it's tough to say something. Especially when it's an in law.
He doesn't mark his ball before playing a round so is forever picking his ball up to check it's his, then improving his lie.
Me and a mate saw him throw his ball over sonetrees next to the green instead of wedging over them. My mate didn't hold back and when he got to the green he waited to see if he'd continue or own up. He went to put and that was it. He unleashed it saying he witnessed him throwing it and he replied saying he did it for a laugh for our benefit.

I must admit I don't play that much with him anymore. I play fairly whether it's a friendly or not.
The worst thing was when we were similar handicaps 2 years ago and it was competitive and he'd say he won it by one shot or two and all I'm thinking is how he's cheated his way around the course.
Oh and let's not forget the fact he always finds his ball in the trees/bushes yet buys balls all the time....

I'm about to go into a right old rant right now..!!! :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Smiffy i had to hand a trophy win to on our last society to a cheat, leaves a sour taste but i was told:

" with 33 points you didnt even play to your handicap so stop bitching and get over it. "

Apparently even tho we have cought him cheating in every game we have played, if i had no proof and no-one in he's group had questioned he's scores it was a pointless arguement.

This guy is the same guy who plays winter rules in the rough in August, will left to identify he's ball when its in the wooden stuff, you name it. He also thought he deserved a free drop at tilgate because he's ball was in the woods on a tree stump... Jesus its 20 yards into the woods.

hope this helps.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Smiffy,

I think it is fairly clear. Tell him upfront that he's a cheat, he's been seen to cheat and to be honest he has now ruined two years worth of away trips. I'm sure he'll deny it or come up with all sorts of excuses, but stick to your guns. As a compromise, suggest it my be better if he sat the next trip out (tell him some of the others are far from happy with his behaviour - make it sound like a consensus) and that you'll think about inviting him again after that. It might be worth inviting him for a friendly game before organising the trip and see if he's changed so you'd know whether to ask him or not.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't really add much more than has already been said! Shocking really.

If I'm playing a casual round with mates and I'm struggling/a mate is struggling and lost his ball/ball is in a ridiculous lie, we'll all agree that he can drop it in a more favourable place to carry on the game/speed things up, but doing it in a comp or in a friendly comp with mates is not on at all.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think some just think it is all a bit pedantic and doesn't really matter. We are all out there to have a bit of fun away from work, and it is no fun playing from a crap lie.

Others do it because they are out and out cheats and want an advantage.

I would suggest there are few out there who don't know the rules if they have been playing a while.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
This goes out to everyone, do you think some people are unaware of certain rules or choose to ignore them and cheat??

Probably a mixture of both, but it depends on the situation.

For instance, not everyone will be aware that "clearing the area" from around your ball before you play a shot out of the trees/rough (i.e. moving loose twigs etc) incurs a penalty if your ball moves.

But marking your ball 4 ft. closer to the hole by "dropping" or throwing your ball marker is clearly cheating! I would hope that everyone knows how to mark their ball correctly!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There has been a catalogue of incidents where this guy has cheated.
Indeed, the first time Leftie played with him (at Chartham Park last year), I advised him to keep a check on his scores as at least once in every round he plays there will be a "mis-count" on a hole and it is never (ever) more than he has taken, always less.
And lo and behold Leftie confirmed that the guy at one point claimed a 5 when in fact he had a 6.
Last week at Forest Pines my best mate Norman was playing with him. The "cheat" hit his ball up into the trees and off he raced to get there before anyone else. As Norman approached the guy said "don't worry, I've found it. I wish I hadn't though" indicating to Norman that he had a bad lie. Norman is absolutely certain that the guy had a ball in his hand when he was facing him.
Next thing you know he is bending down on the ground out of sight, stands up, the ball in his hand has now disappeared of course, and proceeds to knock one onto the green and two putts for a four.
Hardly the result of somebody finding a ball that they wished they hadn't!!
Of course, Norman couldn't call the guy because he hadn't seen him place the ball down.

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with that...

I play a lot of social golf and if someone has a really nasty lie they can make it easier for themselves...

But in general we just play the ball as it lies.

TO be honest we don't really note our scores. :rolleyes:

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Arrange a game, on November the 5th.

Stay for a few beers after the game.

Suggest stopping off at a local bonfire for hot potatoes on the way home.

Retrieve branding iron from boot of car and place in the bonfire.

Proceed to tie the fecker down and brand him on his forehead.

Sorted!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
...the guy that "won" our four round competition is a cheat. An out and out cheat. He beat Leftie by 1 point over the 4 rounds..[/b]

Dammit! I could have been 3rd instead of 4th and collected the bronze medal and substantial prize......

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Smiffy, rather than discussing this on the forum, why dont you just have a quiet word with James (JustOneUK) and ask him to stop doing it in future :D :D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant believe you are claiming you didnt tell him because it would spoil the weekend - surely having a cheat win spoils the weekend more!!!

In the past have called people twice in comps for cheating and refused to sign cards at end of round (easier in an official situ i know) and in any "competitive game wouldnt think twice about doing so (and a fiver between mates is competitive imo!)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cant believe you are claiming you didnt tell him because it would spoil the weekend

It was a tricky situation. You are away with 8 mates and it's the first day. I was all for telling him but was advised not to by a guy who was in our fourball. Had I been playing the guy in a friendly twoball and had seen it I would have reared up. People on here who know me know that I am not afraid to speak my mind. But to put me in the position of being the one that causes agro on a week-end away??? Different kettle of fish.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can relate to this as a "friend" at work regularly cheats, his favourite being "oh look I found my ball it was here all the time". This would come after 4 people would comb the area and not find anything. I find the insult to my intelligence the most offensive thing, he might be pulling wool with others but not me.

I plan to catch him red handed one day and when its beyond any reasonable doubt then confront him. He has to learn for his own sake.

This brings home that there are 2 types of golfers in this world. Those that play by the rules and want to get cut as quickly as possible and respect the spirit of the game. And those that want to nick an advantage by any means they can, they also tend to be the same people keeping their hcap artificially high :mad:.