What does Tiger's win say about golf?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't go along with this line of the players not being as good when he was at his peak. Apparently they were great when Jack won, they're great now, but weren't as good when Tiger was around. How is that quantified?

Lots of the players you ementioed as top. Players may finish with 1 or no majors. Is that because there were too many good golfers around or because they simply weren't as good as people thought?

For me now. If tiger manages to win a second major in this stage of his career it'll blow the theory of them all being better now outn9fbthebwater as he'll have won more in his twilight than some of the supposed better players managebin a career.

Re the op. I think it simply says golf is in a very fortunate place where we get to watch more good players than ever before. Whether that's based on the increase of ability or coverage is up for debate.
Interesting that you took my post as possibly being a slight of Tiger and perhaps taking the gloss off his victory...

For my part I am not anti Tiger, I recognise him to be possibly the greatest golfer of all time! Also when I mentioned there are more elite players now than before, I firmly believe this to be true, and I don't actually think it can be argued against. Also, for the avoidance of doubt, I am not referring to just the period where Tiger dominated. I'm talking about all golf beforehand. We have never had such a crop of players capable of winning like we have now.

There have always, and there will always be great players, Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Woods etc and every period has fantastic players too, like Couples, Faldo, Watson and Norman and there's little doubt that Woods transcended the sport when he broke through and had his dominant period. What we saw will likely never be repeated and he is almost the singular reason we have such a strong crop of outstanding players today.

It was down to him that players changed their outlook and improved. It is down to him that the current crop of young golfers are so good. He changed peoples opinions on what should be done to be successful.

The fact he is still going strong now is quite staggering and shows the mental ability he has.

Tiger is still one of the bunch of golfers capable of winning a major, he is still a great player. So if he were to win another, it woudlnt blow anything about players being not as good. It will simply show that someone good enough can win. He is good enough. So are the others.

Yes there will always be single winners, that's always going to happen but its not the norm. The norm will be the likes of Woods, Rory, DJ, Koepka etc winning majors over the next few years. There are too many really good players right now to see anyone dominating like we saw Tiger do back in the late 90's and early 2000's.

There may be mini runs, like Koepka recently, but not as sustained a period as Tiger managed. We have him to thank for the quality of golf we are seeing today. We're in the golden period of golf and it's absolutely fantastic!

Long may it continue...

D

Deleted member 1147

I've thought about this thread whilst I've read through it, and I've figured out what the answer is...

What Tiger's win says about golf is that, a lot of people talk and write about golf, but no one knows what the hell is going to happen. Also, it reminds us that we've never really known!

Tiger was written off by many players, coaches, journalists and forummers - but what do we know?

We read about McIlroy being perfect for Augusta, but so was Norman. Norman was perfect for virtually everywhere they held a major, but only managed 2 Open victories. So how can we say DJ will win more majors (he's only managed one despite being a pretty dominant player in recent years)?

Who would have predicted Harrington having 3 majors & Sergio only 1?
On top of that, how many players predicted to be future number 1's & multiple major winners have done precious little (Pieters for example)?

If we knew a damned thing Willett wouldn't have been a surprise winner, neither would Curtis, Micheel, Hamilton, Mize etc etc etc

mister v

Visit site
I was amazed that woods won the masters, i was cheering on molinari but he had a bad shot on 12 and never recovered and tigers course management was brilliant..... yes woods had some luck but show me a major winner that won with a faultless round?
Will he win another ? nobody knows but i wouldn't bet against it.
People like rory, DJ, Koepka will need to have a good look at themselves and change something if there going to win 5-6 majors in the remainder of the career
this game we all play is so hard and unpredictable none of us could confidently pick next weeks winner let alone the winner of the next major.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
To me it shows that around the right type of course that makes you actually play golf rather than just bombing drives all day, you need to be able to apply your mental side of the game to good effect.

Tiger won because he minimised the mistakes. And when he did make one, he got lucky (the two drives on 11).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To me it shows that around the right type of course that makes you actually play golf rather than just bombing drives all day, you need to be able to apply your mental side of the game to good effect.

Tiger won because he minimised the mistakes. And when he did make one, he got lucky (the two drives on 11).
I agree but it also shows how much experience play at Augusta and knowing when to attack and when to play a sensible shot like on 12. Some holes you can make a mistake off the tee and have a chance and others you have to accept you need to lay up and rely on a short game

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
...and the key to making it happen is mental power.

We have seen it in many players at the Masters (possibly course driven, certainly event orientated) over the years - which is also partially why it throws up slightly surprising winners from time to time.

Yup, he was totally zoned in until the 18th, I’d love to know what was going through his mind on the 18th tee. As he approached the green you could see him getting emotional. Some have said he looks like a miserable git but I think he’s just mentally “in the zone”

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I remember saying to Missis T when Tiger put one drive behind a bush rhs. He had to chip out. I said thats his Masters over. He dropped one shot. Really. It was like “ well i wont be the only one”. He just never seemed flustered. When he nearly aces the 16th. Everyone was nearly wetting there pants in excitement. I thought he looked quite reserved as if Its just another hole. The 18th. He knew a 5 and its his. 3 wood off the tee. Approach shot. He was no where near the dangers at any point. His mentality on the course is astonishing.
Compare that to the belgian/ french guy that blew Up in the Open.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Some have said he looks like a miserable git but I think he’s just mentally “in the zone”

I agree. It's just how he is when he's focused and fully concentrating. If you listen to Molinari's interview after the final round, his errors were due to lapses in concentration.

Tiger looked calm, composed, focused and in control all week, personified through the gum chewing.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think recency bias plays a big part here. Sure Tiger is back and competing, but a few weeks ago, Tiger finished T30th in the Players Championship.

I also reckon -13 was as good as he could do. His approach play continues to be his strength and at plenty of other venues, his driving and putting will not be good enough. There are a good 8 or 9 guys that will think they should have been a few better and at least have been in a playoff at -13. Brooks and Bryson got to -6 on the 1st day!! But of course they didn't and the pressure of a Major Sunday is certainly a real factor.

Maybe he can continue to improve, but I don't think we will see him (or anyone for that matter) being a dominant player and winning 6 or 7 events a year. The depth is too much and the quality of player right through the top 100 is such that there will continue to be a LOT of players in the mix for the majors and other big prizes.

He was probably the most consistent golfer on the PGA Tour last year without racking up a number of wins. That showed when he took the Tour Championship at the end. He proved to everyone that he was back competing at a high level and didn't have that wild variance of either being exceptional and blowing the rest of the field apart or riddled with mistakes and inexperience and being way out of contention in tournaments. His record in last years majors was very impressive. He's proven he can win again, he's proven he can compete on courses that aren't just set up to be plotted around. He's posting distances that prove he can keep up with the longer players as long as his driver behaves. His iron play is extraordinary, as is his chipping. His putting is streaky and does seem to be much more mechanical than in his glory days but he is still more than capable of getting it hot when he needs to. All in all he is back amongst the best and it's just a pleasure to see. I know this is a wild prediction but I honestly could see him taking all 3 other majors this year alone. He loves Pebble and Bethpage and his iron play around Portrush will have him going close. Haha imagine it!!!!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I know this is a wild prediction but I honestly could see him taking all 3 other majors this year alone. He loves Pebble and Bethpage and his iron play around Portrush will have him going close. Haha imagine it!!!!!

I would be very surprised if he wins a US Open. A US Open is going to be too penal off the tee.

I was of the view, especially after last year, that he could win and can obviously contend, but probably wouldn't be low enough over 4 days to win another major and was also running out of time at the age of 43. Obviously wrong on that front in that he could win and was low enough.

But also that if he did get a win, then it would be Augusta. Wide targets off the tee and there isn't really the premium on putting - very much about ball striking to land on the small shelfs of the large greens.

If the Open was at St. Andrews this year, then I'd say he'll be there or there about. Portrush - don't know enough about the course. If it's firm and fast and irons are in play off 15 or 16 tees, then that will suit him massively. Especially as he will have the discipline to hit iron. If it's wet and windy, then probably going to be too many other players in the mix.

Maybe Bethpage Black will suit him, but it will also suit a lot of other top players - Brooks, DJ, Rory, JT etc.

Also - the guys who have won 3 of 4 majors in the same year have been by far the dominant player. Woods in 2000/01 and Hogan in 1953.
Woods 2019 is good, but he's not dominant and still needed a lot of things to happen on Sunday to win the Masters.

D

Deleted member 1147

Tiger has won at Pebble Beach before, by 15 shots, and he has never really been the most accurate off the tee.
As I said before, he has always been successful on tight, difficult courses.
If any tournaments are going to suit him, it will probably be the majors - just like last year

Not that I predict him winning them!

User20204

Visit site
But also that if he did get a win, then it would be Augusta. Wide targets off the tee and there isn't really the premium on putting - very much about ball striking to land on the small shelfs of the large greens.

I've been watching the Masters for, well probably longer than you've been alive and that is the first time I have ever read or heard anyone in golf say that there isn't a premium on putting at Augusta.

Wolf

Visit site
I'm also confused by there isn't a premium in putting at Augusta comment. There's a massive premium on putting more so than any other part of the game because if you are out of position with your approach you need almost genius level ability to read a putt and commit to a line,. Then there's the speed control of the putt to factor in on those greens. Look at Woods putt on the 9th on Sunday alone that could have gone almost off the green and down the slope about 40 yards if he had so much as over paced that putt by 12inches.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Woods can clearly compete again. Whether he can at all the majors remains to be seen but he has the mental toughness to handle all three of the courses to be played. Whether that matches his capability, especially off the tee remains to be seen.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'm also confused by there isn't a premium in putting at Augusta comment. There's a massive premium on putting more so than any other part of the game because if you are out of position with your approach you need almost genius level ability to read a putt and commit to a line,. Then there's the speed control of the putt to factor in on those greens. Look at Woods putt on the 9th on Sunday alone that could have gone almost off the green and down the slope about 40 yards if he had so much as over paced that putt by 12inches.
I think they said before the tournament that it wasn’t really putting that was the issue there. I was also perplexed, they said it It was approach shots. Meaning that when someone hits to the wrong side of the green statistically most players get down in similar numbers. You get exceptions like Woods on the 9th. But, generally the winner will be the one who gives themselves the most makable putts, or easy 2 putt pars. Not the player who generally has to putt particularly well from trouble to save themselves often.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I would be very surprised if he wins a US Open. A US Open is going to be too penal off the tee.

I was of the view, especially after last year, that he could win and can obviously contend, but probably wouldn't be low enough over 4 days to win another major and was also running out of time at the age of 43. Obviously wrong on that front in that he could win and was low enough.

If the Open was at St. Andrews this year, then I'd say he'll be there or there about. Portrush - don't know enough about the course. If it's firm and fast and irons are in play off 15 or 16 tees, then that will suit him massively. Especially as he will have the discipline to hit iron. If it's wet and windy, then probably going to be too many other players in the mix.

Maybe Bethpage Black will suit him, but it will also suit a lot of other top players - Brooks, DJ, Rory, JT etc.

Also - the guys who have won 3 of 4 majors in the same year have been by far the dominant player. Woods in 2000/01 and Hogan in 1953.
Woods 2019 is good, but he's not dominant and still needed a lot of things to happen on Sunday to win the Masters.
Most open venues arnt overly long and someone with tigers length doesn't need to hit driver off the tee for the most part at any venue, even if an open course is wet it's in July so the course is never that soft and you will still get 40 yards of run on the fairways. I also think he's more than capable of winning a us open, tigers total driving start is remarkably good and I wouldn't really say his accuracy of the tee was as much of a weakness as it has been for him in recent times. Pga is anyone's game usually set up for lots of birdies, he sure can make lots of those. I think his game is looking very good and is also improving quickly, it wouldn't surprise me if he is world no1 this time next year if I'm honest. Reality is you put an iron or a wedge in his hands and he would walk rings around any other player on tour at this time

D

Deleted member 15344

He was probably the most consistent golfer on the PGA Tour last year without racking up a number of wins. That showed when he took the Tour Championship at the end. He proved to everyone that he was back competing at a high level and didn't have that wild variance of either being exceptional and blowing the rest of the field apart or riddled with mistakes and inexperience and being way out of contention in tournaments. His record in last years majors was very impressive. He's proven he can win again, he's proven he can compete on courses that aren't just set up to be plotted around. He's posting distances that prove he can keep up with the longer players as long as his driver behaves. His iron play is extraordinary, as is his chipping. His putting is streaky and does seem to be much more mechanical than in his glory days but he is still more than capable of getting it hot when he needs to. All in all he is back amongst the best and it's just a pleasure to see. I know this is a wild prediction but I honestly could see him taking all 3 other majors this year alone. He loves Pebble and Bethpage and his iron play around Portrush will have him going close. Haha imagine it!!!!!

Blimey - I guess this is the overhype is full drive , one win and then it’s predictions of a Grand Slam ?!

One of the biggest premiums at Augusta is putting ?! Seriously to suggest it’s not a premium is quite staggering - the reason why Molinari challenged was his outstanding putting and then Woods putting in the last round was superb even when in poor positions- take that two put on 9 I think it was , prob the best two putt all day

Players still needed to put the ball in the right place on the green but that’s not always that easy - also just look at DJ and Koepka on the last , both with makable putts and both missed

Most open venues arnt overly long and someone with tigers length doesn't need to hit driver off the tee for the most part at any venue, even if an open course is wet it's in July so the course is never that soft and you will still get 40 yards of run on the fairways. I also think he's more than capable of winning a us open, tigers total driving start is remarkably good and I wouldn't really say his accuracy of the tee was as much of a weakness as it has been for him in recent times. Pga is anyone's game usually set up for lots of birdies, he sure can make lots of those. I think his game is looking very good and is also improving quickly, it wouldn't surprise me if he is world no1 this time next year if I'm honest. Reality is you put an iron or a wedge in his hands and he would walk rings around any other player on tour at this time

All getting a bit silly after one win isn’t it ? He played well don’t get me wrong but it seems people are appearing to suggest he is now the best player on tour again ?! Or at the least the best iron and wedge player ?

Is it not all going over the top a touch here ?

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Blimey - I guess this is the overhype is full drive , one win and then it’s predictions of a Grand Slam ?!

One of the biggest premiums at Augusta is putting ?! Seriously to suggest it’s not a premium is quite staggering - the reason why Molinari challenged was his outstanding putting and then Woods putting in the last round was superb even when in poor positions- take that two put on 9 I think it was , prob the best two putt all day

Players still needed to put the ball in the right place on the green but that’s not always that easy - also just look at DJ and Koepka on the last , both with makable putts and both missed

All getting a bit silly after one win isn’t it ? He played well don’t get me wrong but it seems people are appearing to suggest he is now the best player on tour again ?! Or at the least the best iron and wedge player ?

Is it not all going over the top a touch here ?

Phil its just peoples opinions, In many ways it would be fantastic to see him sweep the board again, the only negative thing I can see is the resulting wall to wall media coverage Tiger this, Tiger that etc

However if you ask anyone in the street to name just one golfer, they will answer Tiger Woods, because he is a household name, famous the world over, miracle recovery, bad boy done good etc
To Joe Public, Tiger is Golf

And I dont think he is going away any time soon