What Do You Think This Means?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We use Club V1
When we sign in for a Casual Round we don't name who were playing with.
When it comes to entering scores we have to pick our PP out from the list before the numbers go in.
The PP does nothing to confirm the score..
Since we have no tee times and, therefore no way of knowing who is playing and when...it would be very easy for me to go out on my own, fabricate a score, enter CVG as my marker and put the card in.
If challenged as to where CVG's card is..the answer would be that he didn't want to put one in....
Seems like a good process to me.......:whistle:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We use Club V1
When we sign in for a Casual Round we don't name who were playing with.
When it comes to entering scores we have to pick our PP out from the list before the numbers go in.
The PP does nothing to confirm the score..
Since we have no tee times and, therefore no way of knowing who is playing and when...it would be very easy for me to go out on my own, fabricate a score, enter CVG as my marker and put the card in.
If challenged as to where CVG's card is..the answer would be that he didn't want to put one in....

For a general play round in MasterScoreboard, although it lists all the club members for you to select from, you can actually select an option called "marker not listed". In either case no one actually does anything to actually verify your score.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For a general play round in MasterScoreboard, although it lists all the club members for you to select from, you can actually select an option called "marker not listed". In either case no one actually does anything to actually verify your score.
Thinking about it we have that as well...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was going to say no different to a comp card. I marked one yesterday for someone and I was not playing in it so there would be no corresponding card from me.

Swango1980

Visit site
They must be "verified" by your playing partner. In reality this is adding name & phone number, you could have been out on your own for all anyone knows
True, although you'd need the person who verifies the score to be in on your shady ways, as they'd need to react to the notification they get to verify that score (for the MyEG App anyway). Before WHS, you could have done the same thing. Played on your own, and then on the card just put down anybody's name and forged their signature. In most cases, your writing on the card wouldn't even need to be legible for your Markers name, depends on how likely it would be that the handicap secretary would actually start contacting player and markers from general play rounds.

The HDID App was much easier to do dodgy things like this. You could pre-register and submit a score from the comfort of your own home. Putting in a marker was optional, although if you did they knew nothing about it. However, I believe they have a beta version out that will solve that issue.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’ll be people stating their intent to submit a card for handicap, then not actually putting the card in… this will result in a sanction being applied

Sooooooo, after indicating on the EGU app you are doing a round for H/C purposes, you also have to put a signed card in?

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Sooooooo, after indicating on the EGU app you are doing a round for H/C purposes, you also have to put a signed card in?

I never have, but all the times I’ve used the app it has been away from my home course… as mentioned above, it does need to attested to by someone in the app on their phone.

I assume your home course could request that you hand a card in as well for any rounds recorded through the app if they were so inclined, but don’t think there would be anything in the EG app to stop it hitting your handicap if you didn’t submit a physical card.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
True, although you'd need the person who verifies the score to be in on your shady ways, as they'd need to react to the notification they get to verify that score (for the MyEG App anyway). Before WHS, you could have done the same thing. Played on your own, and then on the card just put down anybody's name and forged their signature. In most cases, your writing on the card wouldn't even need to be legible for your Markers name, depends on how likely it would be that the handicap secretary would actually start contacting player and markers from general play rounds.

The HDID App was much easier to do dodgy things like this. You could pre-register and submit a score from the comfort of your own home. Putting in a marker was optional, although if you did they knew nothing about it. However, I believe they have a beta version out that will solve that issue.
Aye, not in Scotland.

Swango1980

Visit site
Aye, not in Scotland.
What happens in Scotland? Can you just submit a score without the marker ever actually knowing or verifying? I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but so much has been said on WHS it is hard to keep track on all the differences between nations and IT providers. Ridiculous really, when the layman would have assumed everything would be consistent throughout the world when WHS kicked in.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
What happens in Scotland? Can you just submit a score without the marker ever actually knowing or verifying? I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but so much has been said on WHS it is hard to keep track on all the differences between nations and IT providers. Ridiculous really, when the layman would have assumed everything would be consistent throughout the world when WHS kicked in.
The App asks you for a phone number, a name, and their signature which of course anyone could squiggle, especially this year where you're not meant to be swapping phones anyway.

But essentially as long as you know your mates phone number, there's not really any verification worth its name, the club don't get emailed that a score has gone in unless a penalty score is initiated.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Like anything else in can be taking advantage of... I've heard of members loggin in and registering and the competing after their round as there's a 'two hour window'. But if you're doing that then you may as well ignore other 'rules' you don't like

Swango1980

Visit site
The App asks you for a phone number, a name, and their signature which of course anyone could squiggle, especially this year where you're not meant to be swapping phones anyway.

But essentially as long as you know your mates phone number, there's not really any verification worth its name, the club don't get emailed that a score has gone in unless a penalty score is initiated.
That seems a bit of an oversight. At least if that person got a notification they had to respond to, at least they'd have to actively verify a score.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That seems a bit of an oversight. At least if that person got a notification they had to respond to, at least they'd have to actively verify a score.
Agreed. But SG have tried to do too much in one year, launch the App, launch the VMS back end, and launch the "OpenPlay" system (which to be fair is all through the App, but still). there are too many bugs still to be ironed out, especially on the VMS back end that I fear it may be quite a while till all is well