What Do You Think This Means?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Part of an e mail from my place.

1. 4. Due to the improper use of many general play 'Score Intents' on the EGU WHS site, a score penalty will now be imposed for any which are not confirmed within the rules. Additional checks will also be made to verify that players are not seen to be manipulating their handicap in this way.
??????​

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
It’ll be people stating their intent to submit a card for handicap, then not actually putting the card in… this will result in a sanction being applied

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

1. 4. Due to the improper use of many general play 'Score Intents' on the EGU WHS site, a score penalty will now be imposed for any which are not confirmed within the rules. Additional checks will also be made to verify that players are not seen to be manipulating their handicap in this way.
??????

This bit is to ensure that those who are manipulating their handicaps are doing so in a manner that does not draw attention to itself. Some may need help to do it more discretely.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EG released something about this. Basically, if the reason for cancelling a card isn’t strong enough, then your score will still count and be added accordingly with penalty scores being applied….essentially nett double bogey on every hole - so could put some high scores on your record.

EG also probably need to make it ‘less easy’ to cancel cards after a score intent is logged

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm never sure how you do actually stop a round once you've marked it as an intended one. For example, I was a bit hopeful one week going out to play golf for a score and then realised part of the course were unplayable due to rain so never entered anything but couldn't work out how to erase on the app. Guess I probably should have dropped handicap sec a note but figured it just wouldn't benefit me in trying to lower my score and wouldn't be on the record as nobody approves it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

??????
It is giving notice that the committee intend to implement Rule 7.1b.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It means those not wearing blue trousers when submitting a score intent will be made to wear dark grey ones next time if they fail to return the score.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm never sure how you do actually stop a round once you've marked it as an intended one. For example, I was a bit hopeful one week going out to play golf for a score and then realised part of the course were unplayable due to rain so never entered anything but couldn't work out how to erase on the app. Guess I probably should have dropped handicap sec a note but figured it just wouldn't benefit me in trying to lower my score and wouldn't be on the record as nobody approves it.

Don't you just mark those holes as NS?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think on the EG app, on the enter score screen, you just swipe the scorecard left to delete it - and then you are asked for a reason. I had to do it once a number of months back as registered a round for the yellow tees, but then we decided to play the whites…so had to start a new card.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do supplementary cards still need witnessing? If so partners should be holding the player to the promise.
Or can you just go out and hand in a card?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
EG released something about this. Basically, if the reason for cancelling a card isn’t strong enough, then your score will still count and be added accordingly with penalty scores being applied….essentially nett double bogey on every hole - so could put some high scores on your record.

EG also probably need to make it ‘less easy’ to cancel cards after a score intent is logged
The penalty score can also be a low score if it's felt that someone is padding their handicap.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Do supplementary cards still need witnessing? If so partners should be holding the player to the promise.
Or can you just go out and hand in a card?
They must be "verified" by your playing partner. In reality this is adding name & phone number, you could have been out on your own for all anyone knows

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They must be "verified" by your playing partner. In reality this is adding name & phone number, you could have been out on your own for all anyone knows
Cool .. I will do that then :) I will book the tee time for me and a compliant partner and pop in a 9hole card ( a low one )
If there is an opportunity to take the mick you might as well

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Cool .. I will do that then :) I will book the tee time for me and a compliant partner and pop in a 9hole card ( a low one )
If there is an opportunity to take the mick you might as well
Ah I see, yes do that. Of course if you're found out I'd imagine a ban would be forthcoming

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah I see, yes do that. Of course if you're found out I'd imagine a ban would be forthcoming
Yup, suspect it would but the irony of putting in low scores and being cut would be completely lost as opposed to going out and breaking the system by throwing a competition round.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think on the EG app, on the enter score screen, you just swipe the scorecard left to delete it - and then you are asked for a reason. I had to do it once a number of months back as registered a round for the yellow tees, but then we decided to play the whites…so had to start a new card.
Aaah.... will have to check this out on the EG App ...... I guess there'll be something similar for the HDIDo App. Even more for our Members to deal with/understand..... substantial increase in player's responsibility for holding & administering their H/cap.... many at our place struggling to get their heads around this.... though it has my support. For too long, golfers have been spoon-fed.

batchworth

Visit site
we have a guy at our club...

playing of about 10 handicap and was in about 5 or 6 knockout competitions, all at the quarter / semi final stage. Plays in a senior comp and gets cut to 6. Then goes out over the next 3 weeks, in the evenings playing with family members for 9 holes and puts in cards in every time (I think there was about 10 rounds in total), all scoring only about 14 points or less !! Yet on the Saturday and Sunday when he played in different swindles for money - he never put a (bad) card in, as was wanting to win the money on the day. Made sure he didn't arrange any of the matches until he handicap went up.
He still doesn't get that he has a reputation and see's nothing unusual in what he done. Once knocked out the various knockouts, he never put anymore cards in.