Non-Compliant Local Rule

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Moving them may not be popular but extending the distance to 1cl makes no difference to the number of divot holes on the fairway which will not cure until late spring.
My logic is that if you have a limited area to place the ball it may not improve the lie much and more damage will be done by people going digging for the bottom of the ball. A bigger distance may provide a better lie which could involve less damage.

I accept it could make little difference but as someone said, every little helps!

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
I can't recall ever seeing someone use a scorecard to measure distance. As ours are trifold they are over the size anyway.

I always thought winter rules were designed to protect the course so maybe it's time to look at the distance involved and consider moving to a club length. The alternative will be to use mats which I don't think will be popular.
Info only: I've also seen variations of PL relief area that sit between 6 inches and 1CL, such as 2 card lengths, a foot, 20cm and so on. Sometimes/places 6 inches doesn't do the trick but the scale of the effort to white paint is too great.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
6” is normally the size of a card when folded not when opened!

But have seen smaller ones as well.
I have a large number of scorecards, kept from when most clubs put a yardage map on them, there is no such thing as normal even our own has changed size several times according to what we wanted on the card and a change of supplier.

I card length made sense as everybody playing the same course has the same scorecard with them.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I meant in the context of preferred lies.
Likely as an alternative to preferred lies - mark all the GUR areas. We had a course for a championship in the early summer where we chose to use preferred lies (E-3) rather than try to paint GUR. We wouldn't have had enough paint or time.

salfordlad

Visit site
Likely as an alternative to preferred lies - mark all the GUR areas. We had a course for a championship in the early summer where we chose to use preferred lies (E-3) rather than try to paint GUR. We wouldn't have had enough paint or time.
Exactly.