What do you think of The Belfry?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The Belfry? A decent farm was ruined when they built it. Overrated, overplayed, overpriced and very poor value for money. If you want to play a good golf course in the neck of the woods then go to Beau Desert or Little Aston.
Totally over-rated and you are ripped off from the minute you walk in the door on green fees, drinks, food and anything else they can get out of you.

...and still folk list it as the best course they've played.

So, when someone you know says that, bash them on the head, bundle them in the back if the car and drive them to somewhere really decent! It's your duty! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Played there a couple of times. The first time we has a package, Day 1 was Derby course, Day 2 was Brabazon and Day 3 was PGA National. Derby course not amazing, but a nice little warm up. Brabazon was great, and I really loved the PGA National as well. Facilities, as you expect, were great and there is a night club on site, which I think opens at the weekends (at least when Covid is not around).

I got really excited about playing the short 10th on the Brabazon. However, I had a sausage roll at the half way house, hit my tee shot with greasy fingers, and snap hooked the drive, leading to a 6. Whereas my mate, a bad golfer, sliced a rubbish drive right of the river. Hacked a rubbish approach that forced its way to edge of green and he sank a long putt for birdie. Only consolation was I had a nice par at the last, on the massive tiered green, pin was at the back.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first ever eagle was on the 11th on the Brabazon, playing with my brother, nephew and a GM staff member (shamefully I can't remember who :unsure:). That was after my brother had driven the 10th and 2 putted for birdie. I think 3 others managed to drive the 10th too.

So that, along with @JustOne 's comment on here afterwards do provide good memories. The only time I've played there and while there are a few very nice holes a lot are a bit 'nothing special', the army of greenkeeping staff do keep it in great condition though!

Edit:

It was Alex from GM

And @JustOne 's comment https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/belfry-the-aftermath.11088/post-152876

Last edited:

rystaman

Visit site
Totally over-rated and you are ripped off from the minute you walk in the door on green fees, drinks, food and anything else they can get out of you.
Although the stories I've heard about that nightclub are legendary. The over/under on the women in there being prostitutes was about 40%.

Which now includes parking at the following rates:

4 hours - free
8 hours - £5.00
24 hours - £10.00

Stays for more than 24 hours will be calculated at the same rate.

I went yesterday and was absolutely shocked, how can they justify that!?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which now includes parking at the following rates:

4 hours - free
8 hours - £5.00
24 hours - £10.00

Stays for more than 24 hours will be calculated at the same rate.

I went yesterday and was absolutely shocked, how can they justify that!?
You get your parking validated if playing golf, Spa, or a guest of the hotel. They had a big problem with people parking there and sharing another ride to London and Birmingham

rystaman

Visit site
You get your parking validated if playing golf, Spa, or a guest of the hotel. They had a big problem with people parking there and sharing another ride to London and Birmingham

I was hoping you'd chime in and clear that up if I was wrong! I only went to the range so only saw the signs showing the new charge. Slightly confused though when you say people were parking there and getting another ride to London and Birmingham? Nearest train station would be Wylde Green or Chester Road no?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was hoping you'd chime in and clear that up if I was wrong! I only went to the range so only saw the signs showing the new charge. Slightly confused though when you say people were parking there and getting another ride to London and Birmingham? Nearest train station would be Wylde Green or Chester Road no?
By another ride I meant car sharing. It was quite common to see people jumping over into other cars at 7.00am wearing suits.

The signs you speak of are not well written at all and most definitely imply you are being charged regardless.