What do you think about during your swing?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing.

I think about my target before my swing, while doing my preshot routine. I just try and exhale and swing and I guess my target just sticks in my mind.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
relax the hands, and straight left arm.... then push my hip. i tend to 'think' a lot during swing, or certainly just before take away.

Just out of curiousity is it ok to mark your ball with reminders? so an S for straight????

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"Slowly back."

Occasionally, on the way down I recognise something is going wrong and change accordingly. Other than that, nothing.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Depends on what's going wrong on the day lol

If I thin one I think make sure you hit down on the next... My next shot is then hit fat and so the cycle goes on!!!

Ha ha

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just before address I make an image of myself hitting the type of shot I want. During the swing my focus is out at the target, not looking at it but I have a mental focus of where the ball must go.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Try not to think about too much anymore and then trust the work I've been putting in. It hasn't been coming off on the course recently but I am trying not to get too stressed and just believe that it will click in time.

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing specific - I try and keep my mind in a neutral state.

I've already planned the shot before address, then gone through my pre-shot "relaxed" "waggle" "neutral" routine at address. I use a waggle-then-lower the club head as a trigger to kick start my back swing.

For the 2 seconds-ish of my swing I am not specifically thinking of anything. My body is responding to the triggers and my eyes are on the ball. At the top of my swing is a moment of "attack" which is my trigger to start my down-swing and follow through. This is not a "stop and think attack" moment, but more a feeling of focus and drive.

The only time I conciously think during my swing is when I'm trying to change or introduce something new. Once installed and drilled becomes natural.

I'm not saying I hit 100% good shots, far from it. However I can quite happily accept the bad ones as well as I do the good ones. I have the same post-shot routine of smiling at the outcome and looking forward to playing some more golf.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I try to think about rhythm and keeping everything in synch or "connected".

In reality, what I actually think about depends.

On a good shot, I can't remember.

On a bad one, my grip, the lie, the club, the hazards, the wind, the sun, and as P G Wodehouse put it "the uproar of the butterflies in the adjoining meadows".