What do you think about during your swing?

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ususally just focus on the ball and smashing into the back of it at the angle I think will send it straight...... if that makes sense.....

theres been a few times last season where I stood over the ball and just knew I was going to hit an absolute screamer.... Usually with 7-9Iron...... on these occasions I just swung when feeling confident and had tap ins for birdie..... wish I knew what made me feel that way so I could repeat it :/

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
depends if i am hitting a fade or draw. then simply what way i am looing to swing. slightly out to in or slightly in to out.

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting to see all the variations of peoples thought process.

I believe I have been well over thinking things during my swing causing loss of focus on the target and confusion at times.

as the average swing is only a second or two in time that leaves very little time to think about anything and after doing some reading and listening to audio books over the weekend the best approach I have heard is to make all the decisions before even addressing the ball and then throughout the swing all you think about is the target, so hard that you can visualize it all the way through the swing.

This way you are allowing muscle memory and signals from the brain to the body to do everything you have been practicing on.

On the practice range that is where there are many thoughts broken down through the swing but not on the course.

I am lookibng forward to trying this over xmas on the course to see if I can just do everything I have been working hard on the range.

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great thread this, along with another one I seem to remember you started recently. This is very much the issue I have had since taking up the game last year.

Since I started, my goal has been to break 100 to the degree that i put myself under so much pressure everytime I walk on the course. I have so many swing thoughts over the ball and I know it affects how I play. My friends and pro often make nice comments about my swing and don't understand why I struggle to break 100.

A prime example can be if I hit 3 off the tee (which can happen a couple of times a round). The 1st shot has so many swing thoughts. When I reload, I never think about it and 9/10, it'll be straight down the middle.

I've fallen for it everytime I go out, but the penny is starting to drop that I just need to relax and clear my mind. Hopefully my scores will improve as a result! Yours too cooper! :thup:

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Great thread this, along with another one I seem to remember you started recently. This is very much the issue I have had since taking up the game last year.

Since I started, my goal has been to break 100 to the degree that i put myself under so much pressure everytime I walk on the course. I have so many swing thoughts over the ball and I know it affects how I play. My friends and pro often make nice comments about my swing and don't understand why I struggle to break 100.

A prime example can be if I hit 3 off the tee (which can happen a couple of times a round). The 1st shot has so many swing thoughts. When I reload, I never think about it and 9/10, it'll be straight down the middle.

I've fallen for it everytime I go out, but the penny is starting to drop that I just need to relax and clear my mind. Hopefully my scores will improve as a result! Yours too cooper! :thup:

Do you know what has done it for me.... Got the audio book "golf is not a game of perfect" on my iPhone and its amazing. Such down to earth thinking and its all about what you should or shouldn't think about pre, during and post swing. Get it. Its great.

Thanks for the compliment by the way.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
if I think too much I balls it up. Has anyone noticed when hitting a shot and you try too hard or think too much it usually ends up pants. Whenever you hit a reload or in anger after a duff you pure it... coincidence?

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if I think too much I balls it up. Has anyone noticed when hitting a shot and you try too hard or think too much it usually ends up pants. Whenever you hit a reload or in anger after a duff you pure it... coincidence?

Yep, exactly and I hope I'm starting to wise up to this.

Thanks jcooper. I already have his putting one. Think I'll have to get this too!

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep, exactly and I hope I'm starting to wise up to this.

Thanks jcooper. I already have his putting one. Think I'll have to get this too!

No worries. I seriously advise getting this one. Its a fantastic audio book and makes so much sense. I have listened to it every day fir the last 2 weeks at work, in the car and when chilling at home.

Good luck justman. Let me know if the audio book helps.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on how well I am hitting the ball. If going well I just tell myself low slow and let it go.....

Or swinging badly it is thinking about the last swing disecting the ball flight and wondering if it was a push-draw pull-draw or a great big duck-hook and what caused it..... it is at this point my partners tell me to get on with it...:eek:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just the one (occasionally two) swing thought for me basically to stop the slidey hips! Occasionally might think to take the club back more square if I'm getting a little inside!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Here's my thought process..........

Keep calm deep breaths, take aim then I think.............

"you're gonna get it",

"gonna smash your head in"

"you're so going to get hit hard"

"I am going to Pulverise you"

"YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE THIS"

"UNLEASH THE DOGS OF WAR"

"DIE"

"JUST DIE LITTLE WHITE BALL"

then I shank it

:cool:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest.... why would you want to think about the target?

Sorry Jumping in here:

The target is a good thing to focus on. If you focus on the ball it will encourage your intent to just hitting at it, which IMO is not a good idea. I look at the ball but have my focus out at the target, this encourages swinging through the ball with the club accelerating.