What do you love about the game?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a really enjoyable 9 holes in the sun this afternoon, I had the course completely to myself, had my music on and just took it at my own relaxed pace and got round in an hour and 10. Im now currently sat watching Erik Anders Lang on youtube and enjoying watching how excited he gets with every new course he plays and sat being really jealous that he has a job where he travels the world playing golf!
Had me thinking about all aspects of the game and wondered why everyone else plays!
I just love the challenge of constantly trying to beat myself, the escapism and freedom and obviously playing in club competitions to beat my mates and try and win some prize money.

Why do you play? What do you love about the game?

Wolf

Visit site
Being outside in the open air and knowing every game is a chance to beat the one opponent that matters and that's the course.

The fact no matter what level you are there's always someone you can beat or beat you and that the handicap system allows us all to compete equally.

Oh and being away from the kids for a few hours 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's hard to put your finger on it really. Maybe it's that feeling of hitting a pure shot that goes exactly where you wanted it - unfortunately not a common enough occurrence for me. Or the feeling when you tee off the first that this is going to be the round where everything just goes perfectly. I don't know why I keep thinking that when evidence shows otherwise, but I do. Other little feelings like melting a drive or holing a long putt are just the perfect bland of achievement, adrenaline, and in my case, surprise.

Other than that, it's getting to be in the outdoors for several hours, with your mates, playing a sport that's enjoyable but doesn't knacker you out, something you can always improve at, particularly now in my early 30s when in most other sports I'd be entering a decline due to fitness. It is the only sport where all ages and abilities can compete with one another, thanks to the handicaps as Wolf said above.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This past week I've been lucky enough to get out on to the course quite a bit, and being outside in the heat is just wonderful.

The feeling of hitting an iron shot really pure is nice.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
- Playing nine holes on my own on a quiet summer evening and seeing wildlife on the course.
- Hitting a brilliant bunker shot while someone is watching and getting a round of applause for it
- findng the middle of the clubface with a long iron
- holing a long slinging putt

There is so much more ... but I think those are the highlights.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Those shots that come along (maybe as little as once in a round) when you execute it just the way you planned it in your head

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fresh air, the countryside, the challenge, knowing you wont ever perfect the game but just occasionally you play a few holes or a round where it all clicks.

The different holes and scenarios too. No two shots are ever really the same.

Playing golf as twilight approaches and watching the wildlife (more ofthen than not deer) emerge from the trees and dart about the course. Trying to squeeze one more hole in before it gets too dark.

D

Deleted member 21258

I just love the game, from playing golf with the family, having a laugh, playing different courses, the roller coaster ride of the round, the excitement of hitting the shot, the excitement of knowing I am going to play a round of golf.

Basically everything as Imurg said.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
The sport of golf is a great sport, great satisfaction when it goes well. The freedom, and enjoying 3.5 hours in the beautiful rolling hills of the South Hams.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The inconsistency of it all. You never know what you are going to get.

But most of all, having a laugh and being out in the fresh air.

D

Deleted member 15344

I love everything about the game and especially the guys on the forum who have hosted people , created events and little tours - this forum is a great place that opens up great avenues to playing some of the best course in Europe

Is it bad that more want to moan about the game than say what they like about it