What do you love about the game?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The challenge, the variations, the scenery, the company, nailing a shot. The fact that you get to play 18 holes no matter what happens early on, here speaks a former opening batsman who suffered enough ducks, the odd golden one, to understand what a wasted day really means.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pretty much everything but a few stand outs..

Teeing off with the sparrows and having the course to yourself, rolling the 1st putt on the 1st green thru the dew
Teeing off at 7pm on a summer evening and having the course to yourself with a few pals and a hip flask
THAT sound when you or someone on the tee absolutely flushes it and we all stare in gleeful wonderment as it takes off like a rocket low and hard down the fairway
Going to the Open or RC, been to a few and it's my all time fave day out watching elite sports, fantastic atmosphere and proximity to the players make it special even tho the price of a pint is now getting slightly ridiculous!

D

Deleted member 25172

It's so silly, but I feel pretty much the same playing golf now as I did playing football when I was 7. Everything around the "build up", the wait throughout week, the night before, setting the alarm and waking up even before it's set no matter how early that may be.

Standing on the first tee with the driver in hand hoping you'll open up with the ball down centre the fairway with the feeling that today is the day that I'm gonna play my best golf ever.

Add on the camaraderie, fresh air, stunning courses, competitions. There's nothing quite like it. I love it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Because I have an obsession that I am actually a better player than my handicap shows and it annoys me.

I definitely think this.

I never thought I'd be able to at first, but do I love being able to go and play different courses around the UK and abroad, seeing lots of different places in the process. I love hitting that one great shot in the occasional round. But mostly that I can pretty much play when I want to, being able to go out and play the game with my sons, or my wife, or mates. It's just a great sport/ past time/ hobby/ obsession.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing through 3 groups today on the 9 hole course when i was on my own.. landing every tee down the middle either on or on the frindge

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy the fact that it is mainly me verses the course.

I love the camaraderie of swindles and playing with different players most times I go out (although they all well known to me).

I love the social atmosphere before and after the game.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I love the stress of trying to get a handicap cut or trying to sneak into the buffer zone. Will always keep me coming back.

I also love the fresh air and the walk while having a laugh with other like minded people. Happy golfing and roll on the season!!!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fresh air, usually pleasant views and some exercise and the fact that nobody cares whether you're good, bad or ugly !!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everything really.
It starts with the unbounded excitement about what may unfold over the next few hours, although it seldom does!
Then there's the fresh air, exercise, childish banter and general hilarity.
The post round analysis over a couple of beers but most of all it's that 'occasional' shot.
You know the one.
It's the four iron from almost 200yds that finishes a foot from the flag.
The drive that reaches the par four that's not really in range for normal golfers.
The fifty foot snaking downhill putt that drops in at dead weight.
They are rare beasts indeed, but, my goodness, they keep me coming back in that feint hope that, today, I just might hit one of them!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Days like today!

We played a 4bbb match, England v India and I paired with a friend well into his 70's. By rights it was a game we should lose but I played pretty ok and he just could do no wrong and we won 2 up - he has the best sense of humour and is stil recovering from the sudden death of the wife he adored. It was just a pleasure to see him happy

JGolfer

Visit site
The feeling you get as you really nail a shot, and when that carries on throughout a round, I personally get a real buzz out of it, the challenges, you can play the same course over and over again, and because the way you will play will differ, new challenges. An excuse to get out and travel! And the social aspect is really big for me, when I was young teenager I struggled interacting, golf really helped with that, especially when joining a club.

D

Deleted member 1147

Exercise, fresh air, no phones, decent folks, the challenge

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everything 😁

The best bit though is the scratch matchplay intercounty and internal county games .
Playing with HID and friends with good food and drink afterwards
Planning golf holidays
Meeting new golfers at Opens
Playing Opens
This Forum 😁😁

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't help but love the fact that the 'hate' thread has 5 pages while this one only has 2, but yet we all still keep coming back and playing. :D

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You can't help but love the fact that the 'hate' thread has 5 pages while this one only has 2, but yet we all still keep coming back and playing. :D
Human nature to complain lol
Things that gladden the heart 36 pages just under 2 years, random irritations 201 pages in 9 months....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Human nature to complain lol
Things that gladden the heart 36 pages just under 2 years, random irritations 201 pages in 9 months....
I find the same thing with online reviews of places/products. My missus always takes it to heart if say, 1 in 5 of the reviews is bad, but I always think that only about 5% of satisfied customers actually bother to leave good reviews whereas about 90% will leave bad ones when they want to complain.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Before a competition the nervous buzz around the course

The anticipation that morning for today might be the day I shoot a great round

Hitting a great shot on to the final hole where the clubhouse is

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I find the same thing with online reviews of places/products. My missus always takes it to heart if say, 1 in 5 of the reviews is bad, but I always think that only about 5% of satisfied customers actually bother to leave good reviews whereas about 90% will leave bad ones when they want to complain.
I have exactly the same convo.

If a place is above 80% / 4 stars. I don't worry at all about reviews.