What club/shot to play from bald lies 25 yards out?

grizzler

Club Champion
Visit site
i'm a member of a links course faced with this shot all the time, your mad if u try a wedge from a tigh lie so close in, different if your 50-60 yards out then you can be aggresive with a wedge. 20 yards out i'd hit a 7-8-9 iron every time

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have stopped hitting any lofted shots lately, pw/9/8 iron for chip and runs from anything inside 20-30 yds

My thoughts exactly guys, in the past I've wasted so many shots with wedges. So a 7 or an 8 iron bump and run every time. Also had a good tip to stop too much wrist hinge - place right index finger (right handed) along shaft, as some do with a putter.:whistle:

PS Meant to quote grizzlers post above with this reply.:confused:

Last edited:

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
If I have a chip with not much green to run out on and a bank in front, I like to take anything from an 8 to a PW and bump it into the bank. As long as you're not trying to pitch it a foot from the top there's a fair margin for error and once you played it a few times you get a good feel for how much the bank will slow it down.

Interesting thread and something i have a problem with, local course is very clay-like and often faced with tight lies.. One shot i struggle with is about a 30yard shot always on the same hole, the first 15 yards is over water then you have the green fringe followed by 10yards of green then a downslope with real thick rough behind the green. So i need to get the ball up quick and landing soft. It's getting to a stage where i'd rather be 100yards short of the water so i can commit to a SW or PW but i really need to start learning if i want my scores to drop.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well to me it sounds like you dont have much confidence to use your wedges and get some height on tight/bare lies
Personally myself i may have took a PW Or my 60 Degree depending on the hole location
If you hit down and hit the ball first with your wedges the lie does not matter

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread and something i have a problem with, local course is very clay-like and often faced with tight lies.. One shot i struggle with is about a 30yard shot always on the same hole, the first 15 yards is over water then you have the green fringe followed by 10yards of green then a downslope with real thick rough behind the green. So i need to get the ball up quick and landing soft. It's getting to a stage where i'd rather be 100yards short of the water so i can commit to a SW or PW but i really need to start learning if i want my scores to drop.

Well there's your answer. ;)

You'll see plenty of Tour pros lay up to what they feel is a confortable distance to leave a full shot because it's easier to play.

Good course management can see your scores drop just as quickly as extra time on the range.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well there's your answer. ;)

You'll see plenty of Tour pros lay up to what they feel is a confortable distance to leave a full shot because it's easier to play.

Good course management can see your scores drop just as quickly as extra time on the range.

Its interesting that you say that Mashie. You being a "rules man" the R & A say somewhere that I read recently that some players can hit on the middle of the fairway and take a stroke and distance drop so that they have their favourite (say 100yard) shot into the green! I wouldn't do it myself

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you can indeed take a stroke and distance drop any time (Rule 27-1a). However this means going back to where you last played which may not help you get your favourite distance. The unplayable ball rule (Rule 28) may be a better option as this allows you to drop on a line with the flag as far back as you like, so you can choose the distance.

I think the thing that jumped out of nickd's post is that he is trying to play the hole one way using a shot he isn't comfortable with when there is an option to play it a different way with a shot that he is comfortable with.

During a lesson my pro told me the quickest way to save 2 shots a round was better course management (no practice, no drills, no new gear necessary).

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Understand the lay up option, but would you lay up to 100 yards if you were 160/170 out, most of these shots are required because of missed greens with a bad 2nd shot noT by laying up too close.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
The particular post I was referring to was nickd499's in which he is leaving a fiddly shot over water and mentioned the possibility of laying up a bit further back.

I wouldn't lay up from 170 to avoid a chip but I might from 230, into a long par 4 or a par 5 if a full shot gave me a better or less risky chance of getting on the green/near the pin in 3. I often hit hybrid off the tee for the same reason at a couple of our short par 4's.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One shot i struggle with is about a 30yard shot always on the same hole, the first 15 yards is over water then you have the green fringe followed by 10yards of green then a downslope with real thick rough behind the green. So i need to get the ball up quick and landing soft.

It's a basic pitch shot.
SW or LW
  • Narrow stance
  • ball in the centre of the stance
  • weight and hands forward
  • hold the club at the bottom of the grip
  • shortish backswing and similar follow through
  • TAKE A DIVOT
  • keep the lower half quiet but not wooden

[video=youtube;rbNPX5ZT9FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNPX5ZT9FY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The unplayable ball rule (Rule 28) may be a better option as this allows you to drop on a line with the flag as far back as you like, so you can choose the distance.

Perfect example of this is the 15th at Augusta.
If they dunk it in the water going for the green I can guarantee that nobody will drop 5 yards behind the pond - they'll all be 80-120 yards out, depending on their preference for a safe shot.

To the OP.
As has been said, there are any number of ways to play the shot. If you strike ball before turf it soesn't matter what the lie is like and practice is the only answer.
With no obstructions the chip'n'run is the obvious choice but if you have rough or bare ground or munds to go over it can be difficult judging pace so a pitch up to land just on the green is the shot.
So many variables.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes you can indeed take a stroke and distance drop any time (Rule 27-1a). However this means going back to where you last played which may not help you get your favourite distance. The unplayable ball rule (Rule 28) may be a better option as this allows you to drop on a line with the flag as far back as you like, so you can choose the distance.

I think the thing that jumped out of nickd's post is that he is trying to play the hole one way using a shot he isn't comfortable with when there is an option to play it a different way with a shot that he is comfortable with.

During a lesson my pro told me the quickest way to save 2 shots a round was better course management (no practice, no drills, no new gear necessary).

Surely you would declare the ball unplayable and go back, in line, to the distance that you prefer to play from
Rule 27/1/b

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
Laying up a lot shorter is definitely something i have considered but just feel like my game will develop a lot more if i start playing these shots with confidence. If i lay up the same distance but about 15yards right i'm in thick rough and i play the shot with confidence and usually good execution. Think the mind just struggles when i have to think about taking a divot out of a tight lie as i don't want to chunk it. Thanks for the tips anyway chaps will be sure to take them on board

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very interesting that so many people have such varied thoughts on how to execute this shot.

not very interesting really - a valid response could be any club in the bag other than a driver!

the way to narrow this down for your own selection would involve - 1. what am I most comfortable with? 2. recent experiences ie use the same club that last 'worked' in the round, avoid one that didn't.