Eye lasered or whatever

Mandofred

Visit site
Anybody had it done here? I used to wear glasses for distance back when I played some tennis. Playing under lights really fuzzed the ball up. Lately I think my vision is getting worse....not badly though....and barely worse than it's always been. But....I'm really getting tired of hitting a drive and seeing it in the air and then once it's on the ground and not moving....it's gone. 200yd+...unless the lighting is perfect I can't see it. Everybody I play with ends up telling me where the ball is exactly. I'll end up saying something like "Oh man...did that go in the bunker?" everybody else responds telling me whether it's in or not. I do not want to wear glasses while playing.....and I've always hated sticking anything in my eye, so I doubt contacts are in my future.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anybody had it done here? I used to wear glasses for distance back when I played some tennis. Playing under lights really fuzzed the ball up. Lately I think my vision is getting worse....not badly though....and barely worse than it's always been. But....I'm really getting tired of hitting a drive and seeing it in the air and then once it's on the ground and not moving....it's gone. 200yd+...unless the lighting is perfect I can't see it. Everybody I play with ends up telling me where the ball is exactly. I'll end up saying something like "Oh man...did that go in the bunker?" everybody else responds telling me whether it's in or not. I do not want to wear glasses while playing.....and I've always hated sticking anything in my eye, so I doubt contacts are in my future.
I’d suggest you don’t dismiss contact lenses out of hand. I got used to poking about in my eye pretty quickly even though at first the thought of doing that really didn’t appeal to me at all. It truly becomes no big deal. That said, the idea of getting my eyes lasered I do not find find appealing…?

RichA

Visit site
I wouldn't dismiss glasses. I only wear them for driving, TV and golf.
I'm tall, so when addressing the ball it's just in the "distance" range. Since I got a new prescription and started wearing them for golf a month ago I couldn't go without. It's easier to focus on the ball at address and unless it goes OB or watery I'm finding it every time because I can suddenly see where it lands.
I couldn't get my eyes lasered.
If it's raining you just pop your Tilley hat on.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve had my eyes lasered, wish I’d gotten it done when I was younger but there have been downsides. There’s just no escaping age.

There are too many personal circumstances and variables to be able to recommend it one way or another. Best to visit someone and get tested.

If you don’t like having things in your eye though, laser surgery is intensely traumatic. They don’t tell you that obviously. I found it all fascinating and the anesthetic is remarkable but even so, it just isn’t a nice experience.

Mandofred

Visit site
Get your eyes properly examined if you haven't already - similar sight problems turned out to be cataracts.
Yeah....I'm going to make an appointment in the next day or so. Not Specsavers.....probably Eyecatchers, they don't push stuff you don't need so much. More expensive though.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I know 2x golfers who have had new lenses fitted to their eyes (similar to a cataract operation)
But, not lasered as you are asking about, but possibly relevant?

It cost them around £7,000
Initially after the op, they had to regularly adminiser drops to stop their eyes drying out.
They also Initially suffered floaters in their vision & an adversity to bright light.
After a while those symptoms subsided somewhat although not totally.
After a few months their close up vision & reading vision was 100%
But, their distance vision was absolutely shocking, when I played golf with them, I had to tell them where the ball had gone on virtually every shot.
Their ages were 47 & 65
It convinced me to stick with my glasses
Although it's a bit of a pain playing in the rain with glasses, in every other respect, I don't have a problem.

Mandofred

Visit site
The specsavers I use for my sight tests and contacts are excellent. Never any hard sell.
Probably depends on each outlet.....ours hard sells like a car salesman. Although if I go in with the simple act of getting a few pair of light weight glasses I might get by. My wife has gone and they talked her into glasses she didn't need....then the next time another of the staff said she didn't even need them (with the same eye test results)....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When they made my crane remote control I found to look through the middle of the lenses in my glasses I had to look up to much and was having problems with my neck.
I had Lasik surgery it was fantastic.
they cut a flap and all you see is flashing coloured lights.
the smell was the worst burning flesh isn’t pleasant.
some people didn’t go through with it when I was there.
that was 25yrs ago now.
modern procedures must be better now.
but it does wear off ,my vision has gone back to my original prescription 1.25.
it was£2400 then so no idea now what the cost is.

the cost of glasses now over that period I am sure it’s cost effective.
if you have the cash I would recommend it

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife had to wear glasses for reading, she had laser treatment in both eyes.
It worked but sadly it wore of in about a year and slightly damaged one eye.
She had 2 prescription lenses fitted 7/8 years ago and has had no problems and no longer needs glasses.
She doesn't play golf but says her long vision is good.
Seemingly different types of lenses can be fitted to each eye, 1 for short and 1 for long sighted.
She's never looked back :D:whistle::whistle:

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had it done about 15 years ago. One of the best things I've done in my life. Has been brilliant without any issues. Optilase was who I used here in Ireland. At the time I paid €999 per eye. At the time it felt a lot of money but it's actually turned out to be unbelievable value

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had it done 20 years ago, it's by far the best thing I've done in respect to standard of living etc. Such a game changer, I can't recommend it enough.
I'm a little long sighted now but not quite needing reading glasses yet. I went to an eye clinic a few weeks ago after I got blasted in the face by a football, the clinician was very impressed I could still read most of the bottom line of an eye test chart with both eyes.

sunshine

Visit site
Tiger Woods had it done 20 years ago when he was at the top of his game. The risks are pretty low.

Wish I’d done it 20 years ago too, my eyesight was very stable for a long time. Too late now, my vision is changing.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just get your eyes tested. If you don't trust Specsavers, go somewhere you do trust. It may just be normal age deterioration, it may be cataracts (commoner than most people suppose) or it may be something else. But you won't know until you've been. As an aside, Mrs B was very unhappy with her glasses, so went for an eye check. Turned out to be cataracts - has now had the op (excellent service - both eyes done in less than 3 months from the first test) and says she can now see without glasses for the first time since she was a little girl.

Red devil

Visit site
I wear glasses for distance but I'm OK with close up. I wear them playing golf to see how far I am in the rough! I've not noticed a hindrance.
Can't get my eyes layered, job won't allow it. Something I may think about when I retire though

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Love the idea of laser surgery but nothing going near my eyes, not even contacts.

Had my regular eye test at a couple of months back and now need a distance prescription for golf, bucket it hat it will be..... Had some glasses made up, whilst not required for driving, it was suggested that they would help in bad light/ conditions. I found them fine for driving but struggled to walk in them on the course, I could focus on a teed ball fine but the peripheral vision was off. Currently they are back with the optician being remade.

Specsavers are franchise, so every store different. The optician I saw at my current local store was excellent, she was very thorough and spent a long time making sure the prescription would be right because I'd never had a distance prescription before. Once you have the prescription, they hand you off to a salesman for frames, I saw his eyes literally light up when the optician informed him I was after 3 pairs of glasses. Soon poured water on that idea telling him quickly that I would not be buying. I like my existing Oakley frames a lot and have re-glazed them twice previously, and knew that they would not be able to do that. I use a company online called Lensology, costs about £30 - £50 quid to re-glaze frames and done in a couple of days. Good guarantees, money back if unhappy, not had problems before.

Had my normal computer work glasses done and dusted very quickly, all good. The issue I have at the moment is my distance sport prescription, which is probably my own doing. After consulting with Lensology, it was agreed that I could give them my Oakley sunglasses, they would put new distance lenses in place, that also had transition lenses, that way I could double up as regular glasses in bad light and sunglasses in bright light, and wouldn't need to carry two separate pairs. Also had polycarbonate impact resistant lenses, having previously been hit in the eye with a golf ball. They are taking a bit of getting used to, as I said above, OK at distance, but close peripheral is a bit odd, apparently this is possibly due to them being wrap lenses and the computer having to "expand" and compute the central prescription through the wrap areas. Also, the transition can still trigger in dim light, which makes it seem darker than it is. Currently back with Lensolgy to be remade. If I still can't get on with them, it's a full refund.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand laser surgery will not fix all eye problems and it is worth understanding exactly what it does. I understand that most problems associated with age degeneration cannot be fixed in this way

My daughter had it done approx 8-10 years ago, I believe it was 'stretching' of the lens. It did not go entirely to plan and she had to make several return visits to the clinic. She was told it would not last and I have noticed she has started to wear glasses again recently.