What’s your favourite layup distance?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
So basically Adam who said he would do the same and endorsed what I/he said is talking sheeite as well. Think his point was as I said in another post was he made the wrong shot choice.

The idea of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the least amount of shots. It unequivocally gets easier the nearer you are to the hole . Yet some want to believe there is some magic twilight zone at 100 yds where they get up and down with ease .
Rammel

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a spread in last month's GM from game golf. It's stats confirm nearer is better.
Let's be clear - There are situations where nearer isn't better; but in general (all players, all situations, all courses) nearer will deliver the lower score.
Those who recognise such situations, and play on such courses that can deliver them, are also likely to be those who can benefit from precise layup yardages.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Let's be clear - There are situations where nearer isn't better; but in general (all players, all situations, all courses) nearer will deliver the lower score.
Those who recognise such situations, and play on such courses that can deliver them, are also likely to be those who can benefit from precise layup yardages.
Yes of course always exceptions. That's what proves the rule 😉

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have no idea what you're now saying. Literally doesn't make sense.

The guy who told you he hits 99/100 to 6ft from 100 yards was lying. He's making an excuse for a poor shot under pressure. That's the only point I made, backed up by pga tour stats.
so someone who is on the 18th fairway has made the wrong shot choice and admitted so, when with hindsight he should of laid up to his ideal distance,
( which ties in with the thread discussion ) he lied. 🤔
Which others have said they also do 🤔
He said his ideal distance is 100 yds, thats what he practises. Why would he lie. Am sure its not 99/100. Am sure he don't walk down the range and count 100 balls and take a tape measure with him to see if there within 6ft but his point was he should of laid up to his favourite distance.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
so someone who is on the 18th fairway has made the wrong shot choice and admitted so, when with hindsight he should of laid up to his ideal distance,
He said his ideal distance is 100 yds, thats what he practises. Why would he lie. Am sure its not 99/100. Am sure he don't walk down the range and count 100 balls and take a tape measure with him to see if there within 6ft but his point was he should of laid up to his favourite distance.
I'd be surprised if he could hit the green 99/100 let alone to 6ft every time. In hindsight he feels he played the wrong shot, that's all.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I was practising my pitching I could visually see my dispersion getting worse as I moved out in 10 yards distances.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The idea of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the least amount of shots. It unequivocally gets easier the nearer you are to the hole . Yet some want to believe there is some magic twilight zone at 100 yds where they get up and down with ease .
Rammel
But he plays off scratch, 100 yards is his favourite yardage, but not others. Are we to say all other yardages what other golfers prefer are or are not magic twilight zones. Some
Players have different favourite yardages as has been stated countless times on here

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
But he plays off scratch, 100 yards is his favourite yardage, but not others. Are we to say all other yardages what other golfers prefer are or are not magic twilight zones. Some
Players have different favourite yardages as has been stated countless times on here
Yes I love a 75 yarder, but I know I am damn site better from 37.5 yds and then even better from 18.75 yds, then even better than that from 9.375 yds and much better from 4.68..

We are constantly told that short game is everything and we should practice it more as thats what will make my score ( Thats a whole other thread..), but I also have to believe id be better off leaving myself a long pitch?

oof

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Scratch or not I'd still be surprised if he hit the green 99/100 times. Look at the level of the top tour pros most +5 or when turning pro and struggling to hit a 107 green in the US Open.

Point is he played wrong shot we can all agree on, what I think others are saying smells odd is him saying he hits it to 6ft that often from that distance if he did that he would not be a scratch player he'd be out in the US Open now and probably leading it...

Fair play he has a favourite distance but his claim of accuracy means he would be the best in the world so sorry that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My three goals method points me to getting inside 150 so I guess this is the layup I prefer.

It could also be goal 3 which is when you can’t get on the green after doing goal 2. Then it would be the safest place as close as possible to the green so you can get on with the next shot.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting variety of responses and preferences and of course unsurprisingly people see this aspect of the game differently.

I don't doubt for one minute that closer is better but my view of this is informed by, as I say in my OP, my decidedly shonky, specifically on the (fairly to very) short game. I never used to have this problem until a near-terminal bout of the Barclays, particularly on short chips and pitches, nearly saw me completely quitting about 15 years ago.

So although I know there is a much better chance of getting closer to the pin, and therefore up-and-down the closer you are to the green, I feel more comfortable with a full wedge of of some sort in my hand. And yes, I know the answer too. Get a few short game lessons, practice to nail it - and then join the tour - as failing to be able to get up-and-down from close to the green is the only thing stopping me from turning Pro... o_O;)

Wolf

Visit site
Interesting variety of responses and preferences and of course unsurprisingly people see this aspect of the game differently.

I don't doubt for one minute that closer is better but my view of this is informed by, as I say in my OP, my decidedly shonky, specifically on the (fairly to very) short game. I never used to have this problem until a near-terminal bout of the Barclays, particularly on short chips and pitches, nearly saw me completely quitting about 15 years ago.

So although I know there is a much better chance of getting closer to the pin, and therefore up-and-down the closer you are to the green, I feel more comfortable with a full wedge of of some sort in my hand. And yes, I know the answer too. Get a few short game lessons, practice to nail it - and then join the tour - as failing to be able to get up-and-down from close to the green is the only thing stopping me from turning Pro... o_O;)
Are you my dad 😂

Are you sure it's not just a mental block and instead of technical lessons you need to learn to free yourself up

He has a similar issue to you when it comes to having the old El Hosel on shorter shots. He is a great ball striker, unbelievably good putter but anything under 80yards and in (including any chipping) and he yips it badly or shanks it without fail. Whilst yes generally it's a technical thing that causes the shank, I firmly believe (in my old man's case at least) that these issues with shorter shorts become as much a mental block as they are a technical one.

He came up to visit recently and complained so much again how down he is about his wedge/short game that he purposely leaves himself distance of 9iron or more, so took him out on our practice ground and couldn't believe how mechanical he looked. I pointed out some targets, he went off through his overly in depth thought process and mechanical practice swings, addressed the ball and swing so tight and mechanically like he was trying make sure club went into certain positions right the way through the swing including impact the results were shanks, chunks and very rarely a thinned shot. Got him to hit his irons to longer targets and its was so fluid and lazy that he was stripping it, no weird mechanics or overly in depth thinking just picked club had a waggle and nailed it..

We then switched back to pitching I gave him a club to hit told him a distance with same swing he hits his irons wirh and said just hit it no pratice swings allowed and voila he could do it instantly. He walked away very happy..

A week later went to play a round together he was back to shanking and chunking pitches and chips. He said my method of pick the target and hit it was rubbish because didn't allow him to practise his technique to hit those yardage which he thinks is more important than feeling the shot.. Sometimes these issue are not swing related but mental because his issue was he thinks he has to have a certain technique for every length shot, yet if just plays them by feel he can do it... What doesn't help is also his access to YouTube he's on there daily looking at so many technical ways of doing it he's messing up his own head. Sometimes to much info is not a good thing especially in this game, sometimes you need to forget technique and just hit it.

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, I agree because with me I know it's more a mental block. I'm reasonable in practice situations but when I have to do it for real, when it really might matter in a comp, I find myself throttling the club half to death and move my arms with all the fluidity of nearly-set concrete.

See that's just the way it is, son... err Wolf, I mean.:)

Wolf

Visit site
Yep, I agree because with me I know it's more a mental block. I'm reasonable in practice situations but when I have to do it for real, when it really might matter in a comp, I find myself throttling the club half to death and move my arms with all the fluidity of nearly-set concrete.

See that's just the way it is, son... err Wolf, I mean.:)
Yep you're definitely my old man😂

Mental blocks so much harder to overcome than dodgy technique. For the exact reason you state, tense up, grip tighter, probably freeze a little before pulling trigger. If these are the symptoms then no amount of technique can change that, that's something you can only do over the long haul.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Without knowing the specifics, statistically speaking he didn't make the wrong choice. In hindsight he blamed decision making rather than execution, which is common in human nature.

50/100 from 100 yards would put him amongst the very best in the world, let alone 99. So yes, he was lying.

This isn't personal to you, not sure why the defense? ! Just don't believe everything you hear just because someone works in golf.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always as close as possible

30 yards I really fancy an up and down. From 80 or more I am happy with an up and 2 down

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am working on the theory with the extra summer roll is to get as close as possible on each hole at the moment with the premise that a well struck shot may just find the front edge. However if I get in trouble off the tee for example then my preferred distance would be 75-10 yards to use my wedges as I have invested a lot of effort into improving my control

Fabia999

Visit site
Not much better feeling than hitting about 120 yards out seeing it land close.

Depends which me decides to show up on the day. One day its like my wedges are hole seeking, others days are awful.

I don't mind any distance 120 yards or closer. I'd prefer it at 110/115 than the 50/60 range though.