What’s your favourite layup distance?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
So hypothetically your on a 400 yd par four, hit your drive 200-220 you have 180-200 left. Do you play a three wood in the hope you can get it to the green or an 8-7 iron to leave you 80 yds in. Think most folk are gonna smash it with the three wood.

Depends on what the danger is. If the green isn’t heavily guarded by potential bunkers or water, I’m hitting a 7 iron and pitching on.

I’m not hitting a gap wedge to leave myself with an a further 100 yards to go.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As close as possible will do me.

I've done some work on pitching recently. 3 differnt tempo swings for 8 9 pw gw 56 and 60. Worked out a few swings for 30 40 50 60 and so on distances. The Swing is basically feet together and arms only swing.

Remarkably useful. Saving me a fair amount of shots or giving me good looks a bird on short par 4s and 3rd shot par 5s.

Wolf

Visit site
Having a favourite yardage is fine if your a tour pro and hitting 100's of balls a day to get such a good repetitive action that does what you want on demand.

Us mere mortals are best off getting as close as we can and then doing our best from there.

Personally anything from 120yards and In I literally don't care what the distance is left as I'm comfortable in that range that I can give myself a good chance. Wedge play and putting always been my strengths as growing up I was a short hitter so I worked on the bit that could make me score better and its always been the same.. #icanthitforumdistances 😂

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Learn the 50 yard pitch.
Then just adapt it for 40, 60, 30, 70, 80 etc.
As for lay up......
My short game isn't too shabby so generally get as near as I can but keep it on the fairway

D

Deleted member 18121

So hypothetically your on a 400 yd par four, hit your drive 200-220 you have 180-200 left. Do you play a three wood in the hope you can get it to the green or an 8-7 iron to leave you 80 yds in. Think most folk are gonna smash it with the three wood.

I guess that's the personal aspect of that scenario.... 180-200 then I'm hitting a 4/5/6 iron depending on situation. I wouldn't consider laying until I'm at least 235yds away as I have a shot in the bag up to that distance. But from 240 away then I'd be hitting a 9 to leave a GW in.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Talking to a guy who now works for Cobra, he was telling me how he lost his final of the singles KO. Other finalist put his second shot on the green on a par five with a 50-60 ft putt. He felt he had to go for it aswell and dropped it in a green side bunker. He said with hindsight he should of played his second to 100 yds out and dropped it to within six foot for a birdie putt. I said " what you on about 100yds" he mentioned it is his go to distance. Reckons he could put 99/100 with in 6 ft. 😳
Me I love my 48degree vokey, anything from 50-80 yds. Put one from 82 yds on me watch to within 4" on Thursday. I was buzzing. But the ground has to be firm so I can get it/ the club to skip off the surface. Any damp grass and am taking a dint.

Edit," Dint" is a mining term for digging out ground 😁

He was talking absolute sheehite.

The best on tour average 12 foot from 100 yards.

Sounds like an excuse to me.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Yes complete rammel, top pga guys are averaging 12 foot and most considerably more than that.
What's much more important is where you lay up, i.e. the side of the fairway that opens the green , avoids hazards etc.
If there is trouble and I can't carry it then 100% I'll layup well back, but that's just to ensure I don't accidently drop it in said trouble with a weird bounce or skinny shot .otherwise get as close as you can

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've learnt the best way for me to score in such situations....so much so that I don't carry a 3 wood! (This is a principle thing rather than applying to the specific yardages).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I think his point was he made the wrong shot choice and should of gone to his lay up distance. What I think has been massively overlooked is, you are 250 yd from the pin on a par five or four. What's the chance of anyone above scratch being able to hit there preferred yardage from that range. Taking into factors such as bounce, perfect iron shot, run etc etc. If it is ten yards short or long. Your full iron shot into the green is going to be long or short.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Depends on the hole, like how much green there is to work with and if there is anything in front of the green that I need to carry or if I can roll it on. But usually, a 9 iron distance is a good leave for me, because that is a club that I am quite confident with (that's about 80 yards). 40 yards is another good distance, that is a confident pitch with my sandwedge. If I can bump and run it, 55 yards is good, that is a bump and run 9 iron from a 9 o'clock hand position.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

So basically Adam who said he would do the same and endorsed what I/he said is talking sheeite as well. Think his point was as I said in another post was he made the wrong shot choice.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Is this where my game is going wrong ?
should I have a lay up distance ?
Which is my "go to" club ?
Nah - I'll just enjoy myself and worry about it if i ever get to single figures.
My favourite distance is "that's a gimme"

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
So basically Adam who said he would do the same and endorsed what I/he said is talking sheeite as well. Think his point was as I said in another post was he made the wrong shot choice.

I have no idea what you're now saying. Literally doesn't make sense.

The guy who told you he hits 99/100 to 6ft from 100 yards was lying. He's making an excuse for a poor shot under pressure. That's the only point I made, backed up by pga tour stats.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
We might think that we’re better from 80yds than 40yds (for example) but I think that’s because of a mentality thing. Hit it to 15-20ft from 80yds we think ‘I’ve hit a solid shot there’.

Hit it to 12-15ft from 40yds you’re probably thinking ‘that was an average shot’

That’s probably true and that it was an average shot, but it’s still 3ft closer than your ‘good’ shot from 80yds

That's spot on, thread should just close down following that point.

Playing our short par 4 yday (270ish) I hit 3 Wood, had 35 in. Hit it 35 yards on the money, but pushed it 10 foot right. Was an 'ok' shot for me off 16, even if I felt slightly disappointed it wasn't stiff. Had I laid up to 100-120 (my 'fave' distance') I would have been delighted at 10 foot.