Weekend membership.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why does no one seem to offer this?
Take my own situation, I’m just too busy to play most week days now but I play comps at the weekend and the odd bounce game.
A weekend membership would be right up my street but I have to take out 7 day membership to play in comps, or in other words maintain my handicap.
I’m sure I’m not alone in this situation, for me it’s yet another reason why golf clubs lag so far behind a modern day business.
So what am I missing?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'd guess because there would be loads in your position, quite probably more than would need/want a 7 dayer and the club would lose very valuable membership fees.

D

Deleted member 15344

Take my own situation, I’m just too busy to play most week days now but I play comps at the weekend and the odd bounce game.
A weekend membership would be right up my street but I have to take out 7 day membership to play in comps, or in other words maintain my handicap.
I’m sure I’m not alone in this situation, for me it’s yet another reason why golf clubs lag so far behind a modern day business.
So what am I missing?
Because it would lose the clubs ten of thousands and then make the club unsustainable and prob go out of business.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what am I missing?
Most clubs have 500+ members so tee times at weekends is limited.
So just letting someone play at the weekend and full members not able to get a tee time would just not work imo.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most clubs have 500+ members so tee times at weekends is limited.
So just letting someone play at the weekend and full members not able to get a tee time would just not work imo.

Yeah I get that, but generally lots of people only play at weekends anyway lol.
I’m sure a capped amount of weekend memberships would go down a treat at most clubs.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Our club introduced a membership that allowed play at weekends but only after 2pm, though they were still 7 day members but restricted 7 day members, christ knows who keeps a check on all these different type of memberships we have.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m sure a capped amount of weekend memberships would go down a treat at most clubs.
And how do they make up the shortfall in the finances ?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what am I missing?

You are missing the fact that almost all golf clubs would go bust in very short order if they introduced a 2 day weekend membership.

Most clubs don't have enough full paying members to pay the bills as it is, weekend membership would finish most clubs off for good.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not so sure!
I havnt got a tee time for the comp Saturday because our booking system is online .
It’s like fastest finger first on WWTBAM Steve Jobs would struggle to beat some to book.
It would not go down well if weekend members got a tee before full members.
Just can’t see any club with full membership entertaining it.

But if it suits any club then a weekend member is better than no member!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So what am I missing?

So are you expecting 2 day weekend membership to be less than 7 day?

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Whilst the unrestricted weekend membership option is attractive to people working mon to fri, clubs are unlikely to introduce it because;
1, Huge loss if income - 60% of their membership would probably want to take it up. Clubs are precious re offering existing 7 day members the option of moving to 5 day for the same fear re loss of revenue.
2, Sat mornings could potentially become too busy at non comp dates, with it becoming a free for all on the tee - many clubs do not operate a tee reservation system for non comp days and so would struggle to control the numbers turning up for a game.
3, Clubs are already busy sat morn - the only weekend deals they are likely to offer will be off peak. I think Ashton Under Lyne offer 3 day membership for Sun-Tues, and Chesterfield have introduced a 7 day deal where you can only play afternoons at weekends.

Whilst i am a member of a golf club, due to being in full time employment i do have to try and play twice a week to make it financially viable.

Rich

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club introduced a membership that allowed play at weekends but only after 2pm, though they were still 7 day members but restricted 7 day members, christ knows who keeps a check on all these different type of memberships we have.

No one. And once those on cheaper memberships realise this........

D

Deleted member 21258

Its an interesting concept and probably if the golf industry was just setting up, you may find those kind of options(effectively buy a membership for a certain day in the week).

We are seeing quite a lot of different kind of memberships available(flexi, points, handicap only, 5 day, 6 day, restricted 7 day[5 day+afternoons at weekend], 9 hole membership, PM only play, country, 2nd club memberships and so on), as clubs are chasing income and members. Lots of clubs around here offer these kind options

The big problem with the day based membership is that there is 'not an unlimited' number of people who will want all/different days, so income would fall for the clubs as people purchase less days and therefore financially almost can not work for the clubs.

As a result you would find a one day(or two) membership at the weekend, would almost be the same cost as a 7 day membership(say £50 saving only)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So what am I missing?

Simple supply and demand.

Clubs only have a certain number of tee times, and if there is a healthy membership, these will generally be in short supply at weekend - especially on Saturdays.

If 30% or 40% of their members only play on a Saturday (which is probably not far off for some clubs, especially those in urban areas where they will have a lot of working age members) they would basically just be giving away a chunk of their fees to people who already only play on Saturdays and pay full fees, or play so infrequently on other days that it would make financial sense to just have a weekend membership.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what am I missing?
Would be perfect for me as well. And lots of other people. Basically anyone who works a 5-day week. So ultimately the golf clubs would lose out on a hell of lot of money as existing 7-day members reduce their memberships to weekend ones. That'll be why they don't do it.