Weekend membership.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's an argument for charging more for weekend only membership. By definition those people would be clogging up the course at busy times & spending no money in the clubhouse & pro shop on weekdays. Our senior members, who play most weekdays, help to make the catering more profitable (actually less lossable!)

Why are you assuming they wouldn't be spending in the pro shop and clubhouse like other members?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I assume some of the points type memberships are as close as you will get to a weekends only membership where you get a certain number of points and use up a chunk of these depending on when and how often you play.

However the points used up to play on a Saturday morning will obviously be far greater than multiple rounds on a midweek morning.

D

Deleted member 21258

I assume some of the points type memberships are as close as you will get to a weekends only membership where you get a certain number of points and use up a chunk of these depending on when and how often you play.

However the points used up to play on a Saturday morning will obviously be far greater than multiple rounds on a midweek morning.

Here is an example of the points based membership and peak uses more points as you say :-

https://www.oswestrygolfclub.co.uk/membership/lifestyle_membership/

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Marty you maybe better joining a club where you pay x amount in full and then x amount per round after that. Might work out better for you.
I tried to do it at Brancepeth few year back but they had a waiting list and my jobs changed so I didn’t go for it any ways

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Marty you maybe better joining a club where you pay x amount in full and then x amount per round after that. Might work out better for you.
I tried to do it at Brancepeth few year back but they had a waiting list and my jobs changed so I didn’t go for it any ways

Don't know if there's much of that around here mate. It was just a hypothetical question I was asking anyway.
How's the shoulder anyway after your prang?

D

Deleted member 16999

What you need is a Pay and Play course that admins your handicap.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of my clubs offers a weekend membership, the subs are around 75% of full membership but a limited number are available. There are loads of restrictions where it is only available to those under 45 and you can not move from full membership to weekend and you only can hold the weekend membership for a limited number of years until you have to reapply and you can not win any of the board comps.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My view is you already have a weekend membership, and they throw in free golf mid week as a bonus.
Weekend only membership would have to be as expensive as full membership to work.

D

Deleted member 16999

And because of the weekend demand, a weekend walk up ticket is more than a weekday walk up ticket. Supply & Demand ☺
No different to a members club? Different visitor rates midweek to weekend.
There’s a Club up here in the NE, Sharpley, been open about 7-8yrs, owner has very few members, course packed at weekends, owner has no intention of increasing membership as pay and play side so succesful.
Easier for that business model as he was starting from scratch.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Here is an example of the points based membership and peak uses more points as you say :-

https://www.oswestrygolfclub.co.uk/membership/lifestyle_membership/

That looks pretty good in all seriousness.

It would get you 10 Saturday morning rounds for £375.

Ok, that's £37.50 per round, but it's better than paying £900 or £1,000 and playing 20 rounds.

Personally I would hate to be joining a club and thinking I have 10 rounds to play. It seems like hardly anything and the beauty for me is nipping down on a quiet evening and getting 9 holes in.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My understanding is that the 7 day membership is for those who can only play at weekends.

You basically just get the weekdays thrown in for free.

If you can ONLY play in the week, then you get the 5 day membership, which will obviously be less than the weekend rate.

If a course is say £500 for the week, it may be £800 for the weekend (but should you have a day off work you can also play for free).

That's the way I see it anyway.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know if there's much of that around here mate. It was just a hypothetical question I was asking anyway.
How's the shoulder anyway after your prang?

Bit more than bad shoulder mate backs hurting. Not walking well at all. Can’t see me picking a club up rest of the year. Been to hospital three times they gave me strong tablets can’t drive machinery on them. Work has put me on computer duties!
Car was cat A right off

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s probably the thing I’m missing 😁

It most certainly is :) The vast majority (>95%) of my full rounds of golf were at weekends. I pay my membership as being a member of a club is just part of what I am and do. So would I take just weekend membership? No - I don't think so. And as mentioned - the impact of club finances might be significant.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club introduced a membership that allowed play at weekends but only after 2pm, though they were still 7 day members but restricted 7 day members, christ knows who keeps a check on all these different type of memberships we have.

Problem I, and many other members of my club, would have with a weekend membership for after 2pm play only, is that many weekend comps are fully booked and they run to after 1pm. If I don't get in - or can't play earlier - I want to be able to go out after the comp - and sure as heck I'd be cheesed of if the course was full of After 2 members.

Even when there is no comp running I might still only be able to go out in the afternoon - and one of many pleasures of my full membership is going out - by myself - for a knock - in the lovely peace and quiet of the Surrey countryside with noone hassling me behind or holding me up. I pay plenty for that pleasure. I would not want After2s filling the course up.