Weekend membership.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Soo many people want cheaper this cheaper that, if you want cheap golf join a cheap golf club or your local council run course. If you can't afford to or don't want to pay the fees don't, at the end of the day clubs would only reduce fees if they were losing money and in desperate need of members, summer only deals ? The clubs would be aswell shutting down for 6 months, weekend memberships? Surely the full 7 day members would have tee time priorities over these guys. Either pay the money or don't, if you can't afford it join a cheaper alternative.

So how do you compare that approach to discount membership for people under 40?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Never heard of discount memberships of under 40 ? Most are up until 27 or 30. Clubs recognise, this age group generally have much less disposable incomes or perhaps still have an interest in other more physically demanding sports (which a lot of people under 30 do)

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a few near me discount all the way to 40, but most it seems to be 30-35.

I would like to think that the motivation for weekend only membership should be similar to intermediate (i.e. appealing to members who want to play but as you say have other interests, so won't play as much).

Only for intermediate the discounts can be pretty generous (i.e. i get about 55% off, and equal playing rights) vs weekend only which would be restricted, and likely much closer to 100% pricing. I think that there is a real opportunity for clubs to improve the membership options going forward and expect that its something we'll see going forward.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
a few near me discount all the way to 40, but most it seems to be 30-35.

I would like to think that the motivation for weekend only membership should be similar to intermediate (i.e. appealing to members who want to play but as you say have other interests, so won't play as much).

Only for intermediate the discounts can be pretty generous (i.e. i get about 55% off, and equal playing rights) vs weekend only which would be restricted, and likely much closer to 100% pricing. I think that there is a real opportunity for clubs to improve the membership options going forward and expect that its something we'll see going forward.
My neck of the woods intermediate goes up unti 30 max, weekend is prime time for golf, it's when the courses are busiest so it should be close to a full price to have peak time only memberships. Intermediate pricing is what it is, have I benefited from it ? Yes, will I moan when I have to pay the full whack? No but then again golf is my only hobby it's what I enjoy doing so why would I grudge paying my 950 a year. I'm a member of 2 different clubs so already pay more than that anyway, maybe I'll drop my 2nd club when I turn 30, maybe I won't but I won't moan about the price regardless. Also intermediate members at my home club, while they have full playing rights don't have any voting rights. If you expect clubs to offer weekend only memberships or peak season memberships you are nuts, they have to present the golf course in its best possible state, pay people to run the clubhouse, greenstaff, professionals retainer. It'd be financial suicide for clubs to start offering these deals and I'd be very worried if my own club did as I'd know something was obviously not quite right. Pay your money and that's it, if you've been lucky enough to benefit from age related discounts then great enjoy it but don't grumble when you have to pay your share.

DCB

Visit site
My neck of the woods intermediate goes up unti 30 max, weekend is prime time for golf, it's when the courses are busiest so it should be close to a full price to have peak time only memberships. Intermediate pricing is what it is, have I benefited from it ? Yes, will I moan when I have to pay the full whack? No but then again golf is my only hobby it's what I enjoy doing so why would I grudge paying my 950 a year. I'm a member of 2 different clubs so already pay more than that anyway, maybe I'll drop my 2nd club when I turn 30, maybe I won't but I won't moan about the price regardless. Also intermediate members at my home club, while they have full playing rights don't have any voting rights. If you expect clubs to offer weekend only memberships or peak season memberships you are nuts, they have to present the golf course in its best possible state, pay people to run the clubhouse, greenstaff, professionals retainer. It'd be financial suicide for clubs to start offering these deals and I'd be very worried if my own club did as I'd know something was obviously not quite right. Pay your money and that's it, if you've been lucky enough to benefit from age related discounts then great enjoy it but don't grumble when you have to pay your share.

Great Post.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes agree.
I have never really understood age related discount in the modern day.
A 27yr old multimillionaire pays less than a lad 31 who works with an average wage?
I know years ago it was your income was based on age and experience but that’s not the case anymore.
Does this get more younger people to play ? I think not if they want to play they will if they don’t they won’t regardless of a couple of hundred pounds.
Time is usually the most important thing to younger people with kids .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes agree.
I have never really understood age related discount in the modern day.
A 27yr old multimillionaire pays less than a lad 31 who works with an average wage?
I know years ago it was your income was based on age and experience but that’s not the case anymore.
Does this get more younger people to play ? I think not if they want to play they will if they don’t they won’t regardless of a couple of hundred pounds.
Time is usually the most important thing to younger people with kids .

Surely the age related membership offers are aimed at attracting specific age groups. There is an assumption that in some age groups there will be some who have less money and so we have to make it more affordable for them; in the same age groups there will be some who have sufficient money but are time-limited. We want members from both. And we can't do means testing. We must just accept that some of the age group we want will be getting golf cheaper than they could afford. That is of no concern to me.

My club needs their membership, and as their cheaper memberships are by definition time-boxed there is a reasonable chance that those who could have afforded more will be willing and able to continue there membership when the reduced cost membership lapses.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the age related membership offers are aimed at attracting specific age groups. There is an assumption that in some age groups there will be some who have less money and so we have to make it more affordable for them; in the same age groups there will be some who have sufficient money but are time-limited. We want members from both. And we can't do means testing. We must just accept that some of the age group we want will be getting golf cheaper than they could afford. That is of no concern to me.

My club needs their membership, and as their cheaper memberships are by definition time-boxed there is a reasonable chance that those who could have afforded more will be willing and able to continue there membership when the reduced cost membership lapses.
Yes I do understand they are used as a loss leader to get them in the club and hope they stay.
They are the future after all.
But in reality people in Liverpool move around clubs now because most have done away with the joining fee.
They have no loyalty to any club as they can get in anywhere as long as they have the money.

My club still has one and we are full. So it’s not just about money , it’s about the quality of the club/ course.
But to join my club you are talking almost three grand that’s expensive for a young person with limited funds/time kids etc.