Weekend Membership

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the problem, and could have a massive impact on golf in the future. If people in their 30-40s with young families and jobs can't justify golf membership they may stop playing altogether. Then the younger people will be the same position once they hit that age bracket. They are almost relying on people becoming members once they have a bit more time, but some people may give up the game

or they may play less in the 20s to 40s but once their kids grow up, they stop playing other sports and they start to have more time available then they will get back into the game and play a lot more, almost as has been happening for generations!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
or they may play less in the 20s to 40s but once their kids grow up, they stop playing other sports and they start to have more time available then they will get back into the game and play a lot more, almost as has been happening for generations!
This..

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Possibly, but possibly not. everyone is talking about the economies of the golf clubs, but the clubs are potentially alienating a whole generation of players. Okay those who love golf and been playing for years may be able to take a break. The less serious may not bother coming back.

It may have happened for other generations, but it is different now, the cost of living, house prices, the cost of membership and stagnant wages have completely changed things. A decent course around me is £2k per year not including joining fees, house costs are crazy £1,000+ for studio apartment. Even in my 50s when my kids are grown and I have more time, the cost of living is likely going to make a £2k subscription, likely to be much higher by then, still unaffordable and I would question dropping that much money when that could be a holiday or whatever.

Either memberships as a whole have to come down in line with people's spending powers now, not for the boomer generation that had a lot more disposable income, or other forms of membership need to come into play to keep people in the game. Intermediate memberships have been creeping up to 35, but this probably needs to continue even higher if they want to retain people.

Clubs are over reliant on the boomer generation, they have more money and time and so club membership make total sense for them, it won't be too long before they are no longer playing and the next generation have less money and less time and have been ignored by golf clubs for a long time.

Take a look at an average clubs average age of member, it is a real problem. you can complain about the economies of it but in reality without engaging the young Gen X and millennials they are kicking a major problem down the road

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
chances are I will always play, been playing since I was 8 and is a big part of me. However a lot of my friends who have dabbled in and out will never join clubs with membership fees so high. In 20 years time when the current pensioners have stopped playing, the next lot which will be my generation, far fewer will become members.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s pretty much me. Wound my golf right down at 33, dropped club membership at 36 and didn’t pick it up again fully until I was 44. Same as it ever was.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

I also thought that covered most club golfers. After 40, the footy etc stops, kids growing up, GOLF!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I also thought that covered most club golfers. After 40, the footy etc stops, kids growing up, GOLF!!!
I didn't even start playing till I was over 40 and had to give up cricket when we moved up here. I often think clubs would be better served trying to recruit older people to the game rather than having to give cheap golf to under 40,s we have an aging population perfect for golf, time and money on their side.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take a look at an average clubs average age of member, it is a real problem. you can complain about the economies of it but in reality without engaging the young Gen X and millennials they are kicking a major problem down the road

And thus it has always been in general where I play. The 70+ somethings giving up for whatever reason being replaced by the 50+ somethings
whilst those under about 40 has remained constant. We do at least offer the under 25s a reduction in fees.

sunshine

Visit site
What are people's thoughts on weekend memberhsips

I'm all for it. It's annoying that I pay premium 7 day membership to play once a week on a Saturday, whilst others can play 5 times a week for reduced subs.

I'm also a realist so I recognise that offering premium tee times at a discount would be a financial nightmare for a golf club. Simple case of supply and demand.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would rather have the 7 day for the sake of £200, I have the odd day off during the week so will pop to the club.

I think that a flexi membership would be more useful and cost effective for both the clubs and the players.