Wedge advice

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi all,

How many wedges do you all carry? My old 52 degree has broken and I’ve now got a big gap between my new strong PW (44) and my 56.

I’m toying between putting two more wedges in, say a 48 and 52. To go alongside my 56 and 60. Or just meeting the gap in the middle and getting a 50.

Any recommendations?

Buckbeak

Visit site
Sell the 56 and 60 and get a 50 and 58 and practice
44 for low shots, 50 for medium and 58 for high.
No one needs 5 wedges.

I haven’t thought of that. No, I agree. I was edging towards buying the 50. I think having too many options would be a bad idea for me.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got PW at 44 deg, 48,52,56 & 60 Vokey.
The way I look at it is I’d rather have close gaps between clubs at the “scoring” end of my bag than close gaps with more distance clubs.
But I could certainly get away with less wedges and just grip down on the shaft, 3/4 swings etc, I just find it easier to be hitting more full shots from 100 yards in.
In old money we used to have 9 irons at 46 deg, PW at 50 and SW at 56 with maybe a lob wedge on top.
Dont be too guided by whatever has been stamped on the sole of the club.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Those with 2 wedges, what do you use use to fill the bag instead?

I use PW,52,56,60. I think that's far more important. If i took them out I can't see where a gap is that needs filling.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve got PW at 44 deg, 48,52,56 & 60 Vokey.
The way I look at it is I’d rather have close gaps between clubs at the “scoring” end of my bag than close gaps with more distance clubs.

Is that why you only have one club between your driver and your 4 hybrid?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Technically I have five wedges, but I don't really consider my PW a wedge, more like a '10 iron' since it's part of the iron set. With iron lofts so much stronger than they used to be it has become more necessary to have an extra wedge, plus I agree with what was said above - I'd rather have the smaller gaps at the short end of the bag so I can just have a full and half swing with each. Bigger gaps at the longer end are fine since yardage is much more variable due to strike anyway.

D

Deleted member 29109

The wedges that came with my iron set are Pitching Wedge - 44.5° and Utility Wedge - 49.5°. Or 9 iron PW in old money.
I have an additional 54* and 58* Wedges that are primerily used for extracting myself from sand.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I haven’t thought of that. No, I agree. I was edging towards buying the 50. I think having too many options would be a bad idea for me.

The bold bit is exactly the idea I'm questioning with at the moment. I have a 45º PW, then a set of bladed wedges at 50º, 56º and 60º. My PW carries 115. the 50º, 90 yards, the 56º and 60º rarely get hit 'flat out'. I'm strongly considering something stylistically between the bladed wedges and the game improvement PW like th Cleveland CBX2s at 52º and 58º. Fewer options, a high, middle and low, like @bobmac mentions.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that why you only have one club between your driver and your 4 hybrid?
Not really, 3 wood goes about 175 ish, 4 hybrid 160 ish on average.
I could carry another hybrid/5 wood instead of a wedge but I don’t have a gap to fill, or I’m not good enough at that distance to use it consistently to fill the gap.
My set is made of 13 clubs.

Last edited:

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I’d just go with a 50

At moment I’ve a PW which is 46, a 52 & 58

When I get new clubs I’m going with a pw thats 46, then a 50 & 56

Don’t think I need anything over 56 and the 50 in place of a 52 will tighten gap to PW

JonW

Visit site
PW (from my irons) -117 yards
48° Vokey SM7 - 105 yards
52° Vokey SM7 - 95 yards
56° Vokey SM7 - 85 yards

However, rather than just the full swing differences, my main reason for liking this setup is the number of options it gives me on flight/roll from inside 50 yards - depending on which shot feels right.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The bold bit is exactly the idea I'm questioning with at the moment. I have a 45º PW, then a set of bladed wedges at 50º, 56º and 60º. My PW carries 115. the 50º, 90 yards, the 56º and 60º rarely get hit 'flat out'. I'm strongly considering something stylistically between the bladed wedges and the game improvement PW like th Cleveland CBX2s at 52º and 58º. Fewer options, a high, middle and low, like @bobmac mentions.
Depends where you play as well.
I have pw 52/56/60.
My course has big slopes around the greens and the short game is important.
Most of the time if you miss the green you need a flop shot so a 60 is important.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a thread here recently about hitting wedges full or not - the majority didn’t.

Since then dropped my 54 out and only have 60 as a “proper” wedge for greenside bunkers and 60 yds in partial shots. Anything between 60 and 100yds out is now a simple half shot with PW/Gw, instead of trying to full swing 54/60.

Seems to work for the moment ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hi all,

How many wedges do you all carry? My old 52 degree has broken and I’ve now got a big gap between my new strong PW (44) and my 56.

I’m toying between putting two more wedges in, say a 48 and 52. To go alongside my 56 and 60. Or just meeting the gap in the middle and getting a 50.

Any recommendations?
Three. Lofts are 46,52 and 64. Works for me. Love that 64.