Help with buying wedges

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't go 60 degree full stop. I think it will cost you more shots than it saves and 58 degrees is more than enough. Check the loft of the PW (ask your pro as what it says on the bottom and actual may be different) and then work on a regular gapping from there

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When Golf Monthly reviewed the D7 irons it described the 7-iron as "essentially a 6-iron" with a loft of 28°.
I don't know what the lofts of your set are, but I might guess,
5-20°, 6-24°, 7-28°, 8-33°, 9-38°, PW-43°
It would seem sensible to me to continue with the 5° gaps with 48°, 53°, 58°.

You would then have a set of 9 irons. They used to be called 3-SW. They've changed the numbers and the names, but not the lofts. Plus ca change...

This year so far I've been playing 46°, 50°, 58° as my most lofted irons.
I changed a 52° for the 50°. With the 50°, I find I can play any shot that I used to do with the 52°, but have the option of hitting it further.
And it continues the 4° gaps from 34°, 38°, 42° of the other shortish irons in the bag.

Last edited:

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Ideally you need 5 degrees of difference in loft between clubs / wedges
Although with wedges there are other variables to take into account.

In the summer months you may need a lower bounce wedge to nip it off of a tight lie, but perhaps the difference in degrees may be simular to another wedge but the other wedge may have more bounce for thick rough or sand
I carry & use a 60 degree In the summer that I use to chip over bunkers & small trees.
In the winter with soft greens & thick rough I barely use it.

It really depends on the types of courses you play tbh.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I see previous comments about not hitting full shots with wedges and learning to chip with other clubs, all sound advice, but you’re likely to be hitting ~100 yard shots with your GW at 48°, which is very much in full shot territory.

I was just answering his question which was

I do feel that I want to improve my chipping onto the green game, so I do want to buy some. Just unsure of exactly what to get!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got 45 years of experience (once a mid single figure player) most of my playing time the most lofted club in my bag was 52 and is now currently 54.

The reason you see a lot of players with more lofted clubs in their bags is

1. They have never learnt to manipulate a wedge in to different lofts.
2. They hit the ball such long distances they need something that hits it shorter distances.
Or they prefer to use a more lofted wedge to save them having to manipulate their wedge.

Where I play you can often have to play short lob shots over bunkers and the lies can be incredibly tight.

Having to open the face, increasing the bounce and raising the front of the face of the ground makes knifeing the ball pretty likely.

Most (if not all) pros will use a loft above 54.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Agreed.
I carry a high bounce 56 degree wedge, which is my go to club from 80 yards in, heavy rough around the greens & bunkers.
Off a tight lie, it's extremely difficult to lob it over a bunker even by opening it right up.
That's why I carry a 60 degree lob wedge.
I may only use it once or twice per round, but for those delicate lob shots onto hard fast greens it invaluable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or they prefer to use a more lofted wedge to save them having to manipulate their wedge.

Where I play you can often have to play short lob shots over bunkers and the lies can be incredibly tight.

Having to open the face, increasing the bounce and raising the front of the face of the ground makes knifeing the ball pretty likely.

Most (if not all) pros will use a loft above 54.

My point 2. I think the pros carrying a lob wedge has much more to do with that so if it is in the bag.......

Personally never had a problem with tight lies over bunkers using a very low bounce 52 wedge. Not sure why you would want to increase the bounce of a tight lie, rather the reverse.
Having wedges where the bounce does not change by opening or closing the face is something I look for.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tour players are more often than not playing on very fast greens 11-12 stimp.
Your average course I would guess is around 7-9.
Therefore the need to play high lofted wedges on tour is to get the ball to land softly and not run too far.
Club/h/cap golfers don't have that problem but still they carry and use the LW for chipping when a 7/8/9 is the easier shot.