Weather

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our first qualifying comp after the winter break was supposed to be our March Monthly Medal on Sunday. After talking with the greenkeeper, we have deferred qualifiers until the end of April now. (Most April comps are pairs comps anyway. Just the April Medal that is a singles qualifier.) White tees wont go out until then, and no general play or Initial Handicap cards accepted. All weather related, of course.
Our summer medals and KOs have started with three holes shortened to protect sodden fairways - and to protect players playing into the sodden areas, getting muddy and wet… and losing plugged balls.

Problem is that the shortening makes the course NQ for medals, and completely emasculates the three holes for matchplay, and as they are SIs 1, 5 and 11 that unbalances things when shots are given on them. I lost my 1st rnd singles KO after giving a shot on our tough par 4 17th…SI 5…reduced as it was to a straightforward 105yd pitch 🙄 I’m pretty accepting and phlegmatic about that given other difficult family stuff that’s going on, but that doesn’t quite soothe my feelings of disappointment at my early exit.

Currently delaying as much as I reasonably can another 1st rnd match…hoping for less rain, drier fairways, and full length holes (as I give a shot on all three holes currently shortened).

And after yesterday’s deluge, todays course status email - back to Carry Only after a few days of Trolleys Allowed but Carry Preferred.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Course drying out pretty well following a couple of mild, dry days. Even managed short sleeves on the back nine this morning.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Report for this Saturday looks rather odd. As high as 18°, but also 40mph winds so I'm sure it won't feel anything like 18°.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Report for this Saturday looks rather odd. As high as 18°, but also 40mph winds so I'm sure it won't feel anything like 18°.
Not worried about the temperature. Just wondering how I'll play the 400 yard 9th that is directly into the wind and currently very wet 40 yards short of the green and at the moment I'm hitting driver, 3/5 wood and still pitching. Thinking it'll be driver, 3 wood and a 8/9 iron. Good job its SI12 so gaining an advantage on much of the field

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not worried about the temperature. Just wondering how I'll play the 400 yard 9th that is directly into the wind and currently very wet 40 yards short of the green and at the moment I'm hitting driver, 3/5 wood and still pitching. Thinking it'll be driver, 3 wood and a 8/9 iron. Good job its SI12 so gaining an advantage on much of the field
Biggest problem at my course is that the usual wind direction takes you straight out of bounds down the right of the 4th and 5th. Not great for a fader. :LOL: I usually have to aim a loooong way left on those two.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Late into work this morning, it's been heavy rain overnight and all morning. All landing on saturated ground. The roads are flooding, including the A1. Drains are overflowing, water is flooding off the fields. Not good. Golf? no, no, no, no, not happening any time soon.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Late into work this morning, it's been heavy rain overnight and all morning. All landing on saturated ground. The roads are flooding, including the A1. Drains are overflowing, water is flooding off the fields. Not good. Golf? no, no, no, no, not happening any time soon.

Just wait until summer when the drought hits that they have predicted because we can't store the water that's coming down

Only in Britain 🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sad, but true........

It's ridiculous that my golf club has built better water storage than any water board lol

We have a massive lake we use the water from that to keep the course in good condition

In the summer it got drained by the fire service to put out a big fire next door. But it's filled up nicely again after winter whilst recycling the water to keep the course perfect

But can the water board build one reservoir? 🤣