Vintage Golf

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok ok I confess, just pulled the trigger on a set of Taylormade system2 woods in driver, 3wood and 4wood.

Not vintage I know, but I started playing in 91 and these were the woods my mate had that year. Riddled with envy I somehow managed to bag a set of ICW5 irons this year so that’s the complete set from 1991 sorted.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just bought a Ping Zing 3 & 5 wood for £20 posted from ebay. Probably last of the wooden ones.

Look really nice...
Just acquired today a Ping Zing driver with graphite shaft as one of many clubs in a job lot.
I already have one so this is a spare, if you want it.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Thanks, that sounds fab. If it's the same head as the two I've just bought, I would be very interested. How much are you after for it?
zing face.jpg zing sole.jpg

Any good?
I'd like to hand it to you in person next year, but I could post it if you are in a hurry.
Ping woods are gifts - don't need money. I learned this from RichA.

Did quite well yesterday.
Wilson Staff persimmon driver, 3 wood and 5 wood were the pick of the bunch.

Wilson Persimmon driver sole.jpg Wilson Persimmon driver face.jpg

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Fantastic little-used condition, but American.
The John Letters Dai Rees set that arrived this week, care of Oddsocks, will be a far more treasured possession. (y)

I do wonder sometimes where the Wilson persimmons were made, they seem to be more common here than in America. Wilson had a very large factory at Irvine so they might have come from there.

What shafts are in them?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
View attachment 51072 View attachment 51073

Any good?
I'd like to hand it to you in person next year, but I could post it if you are in a hurry.
Ping woods are gifts - don't need money. I learned this from RichA.

Did quite well yesterday.
Wilson Staff persimmon driver, 3 wood and 5 wood were the pick of the bunch.

Well, that's very generous of you. I'm in no hurry and another Vintage day out would be great!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I do wonder sometimes where the Wilson persimmons were made, they seem to be more common here than in America. Wilson had a very large factory at Irvine so they might have come from there.

What shafts are in them?
The Wilson Staff persimmons 1,3,5 have True Temper R shafts.

The Swilken 1,2,4,5, which for some reason I've arranged 1,2,5,4 for the photo, have Accles and Pollock R shafts.

swilken woods.jpg

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any tips on cleaning up old grips. The system two woods arrived today, two still on original grips grips which I make about 32 years old. Given they are the original and not cracked I’d like to try and keep if poss.

Also, any ideas on on polish to bring these back to life?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Your best bet is warm soapy water to start with, if they're still slippy after that then you can try a bit of sandpaper on the smooth parts.

The cord bits should be fine.