Vintage Golf

ThinBullet

Visit site
I sat this morning removing the rust spots with Pink Stuff, a set of dental hygienist tools (my wife's old set) to clean the rust out the grooves, and AutoSol car polish. They look even better now.

F8tYob_XAAARQJM.jpg

Pic of the 7 iron next to my P7MC. I find it funny how people regard a P7MC as an "elite ball strikers club only", when everyone was using things like Seve blades at that size back in the late 80s early 90s.

Folk don't know they are living.

JonITFC

Visit site
I sat this morning removing the rust spots with Pink Stuff, a set of dental hygienist tools (my wife's old set) to clean the rust out the grooves, and AutoSol car polish. They look even better now.

View attachment 50011

Pic of the 7 iron next to my P7MC. I find it funny how people regard a P7MC as an "elite ball strikers club only", when everyone was using things like Seve blades at that size back in the late 80s early 90s.

Weirdly enough, I picked up a set of P7MC's dirt cheap in a sale and thought why not give it a go. Honestly easier to hit than my previous Mizuno JPX GIs. Forgiveness is excellent too.... makes me wonder if all this 'tech' is a myth.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 50011

Certainly not a set for a damp February morning…warm twilights only 😄 The sweetspot is there somewhere…very jealous!

ThinBullet

Visit site
Weirdly enough, I picked up a set of P7MC's dirt cheap in a sale and thought why not give it a go. Honestly easier to hit than my previous Mizuno JPX GIs. Forgiveness is excellent too.... makes me wonder if all this 'tech' is a myth.

It's something I can't put my finger on either. They are really good with the right shaft.

Certainly not a set for a damp February morning…warm twilights only 😄 The sweetspot is there somewhere…very jealous!

It's funny. The woman I bought them from said she had 7 people ask for postage prices, the day I picked them up, which was the day I posted them in here haha.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's something I can't put my finger on either. They are really good with the right shaft.

It's funny. The woman I bought them from said she had 7 people ask for postage prices, the day I picked them up, which was the day I posted them in here haha.
Yeah, sorry about that 😂

ThinBullet

Visit site
Had a quick go with them there. For irons that are from the early 90s, they are still playable. If people weren't chasing distance all the time, they might actually enjoy the game. Just seeing a shot soar out and land like it's got a parachute. What a way to play.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 14.57.30_ffd37348.jpg

Into an ENE wind (according to the weather app) and about 6 degrees out. 6 second hang time with a 5 iron. You could go make some tea.

JonITFC

Visit site
That's my exact thinking, I must have got lucky as there wasn't many shaft choices but went for the Project X 6.0 and I've never hit anything like it. Dispersion and distances are incredible and spin rate is just right. Even on some of my worst strikes!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Had a quick go with them there. For irons that are from the early 90s, they are still playable. If people weren't chasing distance all the time, they might actually enjoy the game. Just seeing a shot soar out and land like it's got a parachute. What a way to play.

View attachment 50029

Into an ENE wind (according to the weather app) and about 6 degrees out. 6 second hang time with a 5 iron. You could go make some tea.
I bought these 1990s Daiwa Trypower TCS blades 3-PW in April. £20 plus £8 postage.

set01.jpg

Sorted the ferule-gap on the 5-iron, no problem.
Played a few handicap qualifying comps with them.
This included the County Seniors Championship (scratch) where I finished tied 7th overall and tied 2nd in 60-64 age group.
"Still playable" indeed!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
OK, no interest or guesses. :D

They are Confidence Visa Mark 2.
These are from the changeover period to metals and there was a metal version of these as well.
Among others to do both a wooden and metal version of woods were Ping Zing and the Wilson Whale driver.

Confidence made semi-metal woods much earlier (late 1970s I think) where the sole plate and face insert was one piece of metal so that you struck the ball with metal.
I have a 1, 3, 4 set of these.

SDC11280.JPG

SDC11282.JPG

SDC11281.JPG

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Time to write a quick review.

After having stated that I'd never played with a blade in my life

Voyager EMH

Very kindly sent me a 7 and 9 Wilson iron to try back in August. A combination of holidays, bad weather and busy courses has meant that I've only just now had the opportunity to take them out when it was quiet.

So I ventured forth using them now the opportunity has presented.

For my background I am an oldish codger with a 13 handicap and a somewhat erratic strike. I don't change clubs very often, after 40 years of golf the current set which I bought last year were only my third set of irons, however I was fitted for them and they are an inch longer than standard , they are cavity backed as all my irons have been since my first set (Ping Eye 2's)

So how did I get on with them?

Well I think being slightly shorter than I am currently used to meant they took a little bit of getting used to and I thinned a couple of early shots. After that they seemed to work reasonably well though the ball flight was a little lower than I was expecting . I used the 9 quite a bit for pitching and chipping around the greens .I also experimented with opening it up and using it as a sand iron for bunker shots which it worked fairly well at. All my shots weren't good with them but then the rest of my clubs were not always performing however they were involved in two birdies today one a fairly fortuitous chip in, the second a decent tee shot with the 7 on a short par 3 which I played to around eight feet and got the putt.
I will be taking them out for another trial but that is the progress so far.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Time to write a quick review.

After having stated that I'd never played with a blade in my life

Voyager EMH

Very kindly sent me a 7 and 9 Wilson iron to try back in August. A combination of holidays, bad weather and busy courses has meant that I've only just now had the opportunity to take them out when it was quiet.

So I ventured forth using them now the opportunity has presented.

For my background I am an oldish codger with a 13 handicap and a somewhat erratic strike. I don't change clubs very often, after 40 years of golf the current set which I bought last year were only my third set of irons, however I was fitted for them and they are an inch longer than standard , they are cavity backed as all my irons have been since my first set (Ping Eye 2's)

So how did I get on with them?

Well I think being slightly shorter than I am currently used to meant they took a little bit of getting used to and I thinned a couple of early shots. After that they seemed to work reasonably well though the ball flight was a little lower than I was expecting . I used the 9 quite a bit for pitching and chipping around the greens .I also experimented with opening it up and using it as a sand iron for bunker shots which it worked fairly well at. All my shots weren't good with them but then the rest of my clubs were not always performing however they were involved in two birdies today one a fairly fortuitous chip in, the second a decent tee shot with the 7 on a short par 3 which I played to around eight feet and got the putt.
I will be taking them out for another trial but that is the progress so far.
There just happens to be two identical clubs on Ebay right now, if anyone is interested.
I don't think the seller is being very realistic with the asking price, however.

WWHP prices.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Finding them is the first hurdle, then it depends who is selling them and if they know what they've got.
Going rate I'd say £75 to £100 would buy a set but you can be lucky and get them for a lot less.

Be careful which model you're buying though as they're not all equal.

I know someone who's selling a set of DP-20 irons, not strictly Australian Blades but from the same family, I'll check the price.