Vintage Golf

D-S

Visit site
I enjoyed seeing Ricky Fowler on the Sky Open preview show hitting a hickory driver.
Interesting to hear him talking about he uses persimmon at home from time to time for fun and to appreciate the strike of players from earlier times.
A nice little note was when he borrowed one of the hickory irons after the interview and spent 20 minutes playing with it on the range.
Confirms my suspicion that he really is one of the good guys.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Picked up a set of Tom Auchterlonie irons today, I have a few Auchterlonie woods but this is my first set of irons.

They're the ITZIT, ITZIN model, and we pull faces at some of the names manufacturers come up with today! 🤣
3 to 8 plus number 9 putter. Dot face, enamel paint True Temper Medium shafts.
The model started as hickory and was patented in 1926 but production continued into the 1950s.
I'm assuming that they're forged but the toe profiles are a bit all over the place and the thickness of the face on the 6 iron looks like it was almost ground to nothing!

1691170077109.png1691170089005.png1691170096793.png

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A game at Windmill Hill Golf Course, Milton Keynes, with Crow yesterday.

I played Slazenger ADL Bobby Locke Driver and 3-wood.
I posted pictures of this full set many times.

Rest of the bag was Australian.
P.G.F Little Slammer. It deos not have a number, merely the name. (PGF = Precision Golf Forgings)
East Brothers Diamatic irons 3-SW. (East Brothers amalgamated with Chesterfield to form PGF)
Carnegie Clark "King" putter.

Little Slammer came with a purchase of a set of Spalding Centurion woods.

09.jpg

slammer.jpg CC King.jpg

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just found this great old newsreel of a wheeled trolley, a few ideas here that the big boys could reintroduce as a new breakthrough!

Dates to 1937, golf trolleys have been around for a while but didn't start appear commercially and to gain acceptance until the mid to late 1940s.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
On a recent golfing and golf club buying excursion with Mr Crow, I acquired a lovely set of Slazenger Bobby Lock Powermatic clubs.
Woods 1,2,3,4.
Irons 3-9, Wedgemaster and Sandmaster.
Matching Slazenger Bobby Locke putter.
Original wound leather grips and all in very good order for their age.
I will not photograph the clubs until I give them a thorough clean.
The Ebay seller's shots did not do them justice - eg

seller.jpg

Solid little bag.

However,

bag and tubes.jpg

sheath.jpg

I would like to thank Mr Doughery of Banbridge on the river Bann for looking after his clubs so well.
I love the 9 pink sheaths. I will put them to good use.

I have a fanciful notion to travel to Co Down and play Banbridge golf course with this set of clubs.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Cleaned the woods 1, 2, 3, 4 and they are ready for varnishing. It was a few hours of painstaking work yesterday.
I was amazed that the band on the face of the woods turned to white from a browny-yellow. I thought it might be cream or off-white.
Gave the putter and 6-iron a very quick clean for the photo. Putter has a darker colour grip than the rest. All irons still to do.
Not been 100% last couple of weeks, but I'm getting stuck into it all now - much better thanks.
Bought some leather-care product today to attend to the grips.

2P6 heads.jpg

2P6 grips.jpg

Very chuffed indeed with these 14 clubs and looking forward to giving them a bash.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just found this great old newsreel of a wheeled trolley, a few ideas here that the big boys could reintroduce as a new breakthrough!

Dates to 1937, golf trolleys have been around for a while but didn't start appear commercially and to gain acceptance until the mid to late 1940s.

Should speed up play a fair bit hitting shots with the bag still over the shoulder. 😆

Voyager EMH

Visit site
July 1986.

Jack had made history with a Masters win earlier that year and Seve had won the Irish Open 1985 and 1986.
Toyota brought them together for a two-man event. They didn't need anyone else!
Jack using the same putter from his Masters win and Seve the Ping Anser that had won him many famous victories.

Jack in his yellow jumper and Seve in his "Sunday Best" of white shirt and navy jumper.

Sit back.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I acquired a lovely set of PGA persimmon woods 1,3,4 a year ago.

Delivered yesterday was a set of PGA Tommy Armour irons 2-SW and and a genuine Acushnet/Titleist Bullseye putter (separate purchases)
5-iron pictured with the 3-wood

3W and 5iron faces.jpg 5-iron back.jpg bullseye putter.jpg

I'm telling myself that I have a set that is a "tribute band" to the set Johnny Miller used to win the 1973 US Open.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Collected two recent purchases on my way home from a week's holiday last Friday.
A set of woods for 99p and a putter for 99p. No other bidders.
Well, if the seller stipulates, "collection only" it can happen sometimes.
£1.98 spent on 4 golf clubs.

Eye2 soles.jpg Eye2 faces.jpg
Eye2 grips.jpg sizzler sole.jpg sizzler face.jpg

Oh, I nearly forgot - woods came with headcovers thrown in.

Eye2 covers.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There's someone near me selling Slazenger Seve blades for £50. 3-SW.

I think they look absolutely stunning, but it's hard to find out much about them.

They're a steal!
Classic, Seve preferred, mussel back style that he played for much of his career.

Although it doesn't say so on the irons, I refer to this model as the SB-01.
The pictures below show the Supremo, which came out first in 1986, the "SB-01" for which I have no date and the SB-02 which was in the 1994 Slazenger catalogue.

I have a set of the Supremo model, 2 to SW, and they're lovely irons but I need to regrip them really.
Mine are nowhere near the condition of the ones in your picture, as you can see below, I splurged £55 on them including postage.

1697562875922.png1697562915482.png
1697562926741.png