Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yeah the blades have an interesting story. The guy I bought them off lived in a village called Overton, just down the road from Horbury - where his dad worked at the Slazenger factory.
He apparently was given the clubs to go and use, to test them out. If the clubs were deemed satisfactory then they’d be produced and stamped with the required branding. Seems plausible and from a quick search they do look similar to these below.
He would have had a full set originally but the guy was explaining how his dad split the set in half to share between him and his brother.

That model of Ballesteros was a lower price set and I doubt they'd have gone to the trouble to make a prototype, it isn't quite the same profile either, see below.

This Slazenger Plus International from around 1972 is similar and looks a more likely candidate.

1709027518430.png

1709027743705.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Missed this out on the earlier photos.

Great condition for it's age as well. (y)

The Power Thrust iron was from 1961 but I'm not sure about this wood, it looks later.

I have a 2 wood without the Ben Hogan name on it, which I assume came after Ben Hogan and Slazenger had parted ways.
Some of the biggest insert screws I've ever seen!

1709077550406.png1709077614576.png
1709077674240.png

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The Slazenger factory was in Horbury Bridge.

Slazenger factory Horbury Bridge.jpg

I believe it can be seen here on the left edge of this aerial shot from 1949.

Horbury Bridge factories 1949.jpg

There are a few of the old buildings still standing, but I'm not certain if anything remains of the Slazenger factory.
The Slazenger Sports and Social Club is still going strong just a little way along the river to the right of the above photo.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The Slazenger factory was in Horbury Bridge.

View attachment 52127

I believe it can be seen here on the left edge of this aerial shot from 1949.

View attachment 52128

There are a few of the old buildings still standing, but I'm not certain if anything remains of the Slazenger factory.
The Slazenger Sports and Social Club is still going strong just a little way along the river to the right of the above photo.

I think the buildings are all still there tbh. I drive past reasonably frequently and it’s still very much an industrial area.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I think the buildings are all still there tbh. I drive past reasonably frequently and it’s still very much an industrial area.
I think you could be right. This building appears to be the right dimensions and location. Pitched roof replaced with a flat roof would be a common occurrence.

Old Slazenger factory.jpg

This led me to look at more old photos of the area. This 1949 shot of the Great Yorkshire Show is interesting. Wakefield Council bought Lupset Hall in 1928 and it was up and running as a golf course in the 1930s. Can be seen bottom left. I wonder if this was where Slazenger prototype golf clubs were brought for testing.
The red arrow points to Horbury Bridge.

Lupset 1949.jpg

Enlargement of Horbury Bridge (red arrow above). Railway viaduct of the old Barnsley to Dewsbury Line and the old road (now Sandy Lane) to Overton.

Horbury Bridge 1949.jpg

And just in case you are not bored enough yet, a film of the 1949 Great Yorkshire Show. Watch out for the appearance of HRH Princess Elizabeth (later Elizabeth 2nd)

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fired up an old tablet tonight and I'm pretty sure this is a picture from the first forum vintage meet up. Few years ago now.

Attachments

• IMG-20240304-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240304-WA0008.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 15

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Fired up an old tablet tonight and I'm pretty sure this is a picture from the first forum vintage meet up. Few years ago now.
I thought I had seen that before...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought I had seen that before...

Those were the days I could jump in the car and go where I liked.
Really memorable day.
Thanks for finding that thread. 😀

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've been quietly keeping my eye out for a set of Castle clubs for some time now, so when these popped up on ebay at a good price I didn't think twice, Reg Trapp irons by the Castle Equipment Company.

A quick internet search reveals a Reg Trapp who was born in 1910, son of Tom Trapp. Reg was Professional at Molesey Hurst Golf Club, Greater London in 1934, but the club closed in 1935, hope the two aren't connected!
Where he went after that I don't know but it looks as though he was still around in the 1960s when I guess that these were made.

I love the Reg Trapp "Trapmaster"! There are two of these for some reason, the more used one has a ladies shaft and ferrule so when that was added to the set I can only guess.

1711555213110.png

1711555257907.png

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Calling all Tyneside and Northumberland dwellers.

Superb condition set of Wilson irons that are collection only. Seller also has a Dunlop Peter Thomson 2-wood.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Vintage era trolley looking for a home, very similar to titleist turf glider in a metallic green. All straps / handles etc in good condition.

Free, but someone has to cover the postage. If anyone is interested I’ll go out and take some pics