Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Perhaps not old enough to be classed as vintage but certainly not modern!

Mizuno White Fang woods, arrived today.

I just love the look of these, graphite technology in a vintage fancy face style. :D
1, 3, 5 and 7 woods, there's a bit of wear on the faces (looks like a previous owner had issues hitting the ball out the toe!) but otherwise condition is pretty decent.
Shafts are a lovely dark bronze colour, "Techno Flex 5780" whatever that is!
I understand that these were produced around 1987 but due to their high cost very few were sold, does anybody remember seeing or using these?

I'll be going out for a few holes this evening to try them out, can't wait!

1553875808370.png1553875843455.png
1553875922584.png1553875979916.png

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
apparently the Putter is AW Heron who was at Inverness golf club in 1923, already had an offer for it;) as its quite rare
used it for the first time in a full 18, its very light and good for really long putts from off the green, but also quite easy to duff, hit the ground just behind the ball a few times

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
got a comp coming up which will be using hickory clubs. Really interested to see how it goes. Not sure what ball to use, or how to dress to imitate the 1900 style!! Tie required 👍

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
got a comp coming up which will be using hickory clubs. Really interested to see how it goes. Not sure what ball to use, or how to dress to imitate the 1900 style!! Tie required 👍
softer the better, i use a Callaway Supersoft.

Plus4/2's, flat cap, shirt and tie, i found a bow tie works better if you have to take your jumper off that won't flap around. Some Require Jacket as well, just get your self one 3 sizes too big .

swing easy its all about the tempo with Hickory

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

I just love the look of these, graphite technology in a vintage fancy face style. :D
1, 3, 5 and 7 woods, there's a bit of wear on the faces (looks like a previous owner had issues hitting the ball out the toe!) but otherwise condition is pretty decent.
I understand that these were produced around 1987 but due to their high cost very few were sold, does anybody remember seeing or using these?

View attachment 26954View attachment 26955
View attachment 26956View attachment 26957
Nick, have a look at the latest Golf Vlogs UK video on youtube. He has a set of Lee Trevino irons from the 70's absolutely brand new, irons and four woods. Imagine they will have you drooling !!;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nick, have a look at the latest Golf Vlogs UK video on youtube. He has a set of Lee Trevino irons from the 70's absolutely brand new, irons and four woods. Imagine they will have you drooling !!;)

Pristine!

Greentree were the makers as suggested, they produced several Lee Trevino clubs, my favourites are the Sombrero as below!

Liam is biased though, there are far better looking clubs around than those!

He's got to play them.

1553888027057.png1553888086216.png1553888111185.png

And coming back to the Mizuno White Fang woods, I played a dozen holes tonight and they played very well. Sounded not at all unlike a persimmon which was nice.
Distance wise was hard to say as I was using an old Wilson Blue Ridge ball from the 70s or 80s but the driver was going over 200 yards on a good hit.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Pristine!

Greentree were the makers as suggested, they produced several Lee Trevino clubs, my favourites are the Sombrero as below!

Liam is biased though, there are far better looking clubs around than those!

He's got to play them.

View attachment 26958View attachment 26960View attachment 26961

And coming back to the Mizuno White Fang woods, I played a dozen holes tonight and they played very well. Sounded not at all unlike a persimmon which was nice.
Distance wise was hard to say as I was using an old Wilson Blue Ridge ball from the 70s or 80s but the driver was going over 200 yards on a good hit.
I had a set of McGregor Tourney Customs, circa 1975/6 that we’re gorgeous. Unfortunately I bought them from new, but I must have been very young !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 26954View attachment 26955
View attachment 26956View attachment 26957

They look awesome. A range visit with you must be some Craic. :) big bag of tricks.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can i recommend you look out for a quality set of mizuno silver cup blades. I have them in 3 - sw and they are absolutely glorious.
Also have the 3 and 5 woods from the set. Tint heads. Lol

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Can i recommend you look out for a quality set of mizuno silver cup blades. I have them in 3 - sw and they are absolutely glorious.

Remember you playing those at the first Old School meet at Whittington Heath, that's where the vintage thing all began for me.
Not forgetting the china putter!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I knew a great old pro who had played in the Open paired with Ben Hogan. He owned a driving Range in later life and we became good friends. He had a set of hickery shafted clubs out the back and gave me a lesson on using them. I tried them with my normal swing with horrible results. He showed me how to use them in a style called 'drag and trap' you took the club back and through like the way you would paint a fence with a paint brush. Wrists trailing on the back swing and down swing. If that makes sense 😁

D

Deleted member 18588

Mizuno Silver Cup!

My first clubs in 1970 when the name Mizuno was unknown in the UK.

Thanks for reviving many happy memories.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I knew a great old pro who had played in the Open paired with Ben Hogan. He owned a driving Range in later life and we became good friends. He had a set of hickery shafted clubs out the back and gave me a lesson on using them. I tried them with my normal swing with horrible results. He showed me how to use them in a style called 'drag and trap' you took the club back and through like the way you would paint a fence with a paint brush. Wrists trailing on the back swing and down swing. If that makes sense 😁

Here are the swings of three of the greatest players from the hickory era, but give a bit of leeway to Harry Vardon's swing as he was about 60 years old when this was filmed.
It's all about swing with hickory, you can't force the shaft like a steel, also bare in mind that each shaft was different due to the nature of the material. Pros would try hundreds and hundreds of clubs trying to find a matched set.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am intrigued by it, until I saw a hickory golf day at £120 then got put off as it didn't include clubs or clothing in the price.