Vintage Golf

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge was a very popular line and a solid set of blades, ideal for anyone thinking of dipping their toe into vintage golf (you know you want to!).

I'd be interested myself but I generally only buy UK manufacturers.

What are the woods, are they Blue Ridge too?

I think I may just get them and have a go!
Not sure on the woods to be honest, I will pop round and have a look in the week.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've found Gumtree, Doh!....

Just bought the below set of George Nicoll Henry Cotton irons 2 to 10, HB Thunderbird 1 & 3 persimmon woods and a John Letters Golden Goose putter all in a tatty carry bag which might be salvageable for hickory carrying, £10 all in.

The picture in the sale only showed the top of the woods and I thought that they might be an early Harold Bird product but I’m not so sure now, the double headed eagle looks familiar but I can’t remember where I’ve seen it.

(I also have another set to collect via Gumtree on Friday….. more tat I’m sure but I like them!)

61044549_448067306007425_937580352715620352_n.jpg
60519545_448067646007391_7088409700286332928_n.jpg
60896464_448067939340695_6915667996836888576_n.jpg
60797660_448068416007314_878710576019144704_n.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
do you regrip any of your vintage sets or just play them as you find them?

I try and keep the original grips if I can but if they're petrified then I'll regrip.
For instance the set above have mainly white Avon grips which are shot so I'll regrip those, the 2 iron and putter have original leather grips so I'll keep those with maybe a little restoration on the 2 iron grip which is a bit tired.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Picked up the other Gumtree set today.
Dunlop Maxfli "Roberto de Vicenzo" - 1, 2, 3 & 4 laminated woods, 3 to 10 irons and SW, an unbranded putter, all in a ropey old MacGregor bag (complete with some grotty old gloves :sick:) plus an old Prince pull trolley.

The irons look like they'll clean up well, the 1 wood is pretty decent as pictured below but the others have seen a bit more action and will need some attention, thinking of playing them all bar the putter in the Stableford qualifier this Sunday.

1558706781503.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Recently I found on ebay the sand iron to complete one of my favourite iron sets; the Slazenger Plus International. Well it was delivered today so as you can imagine I was pretty excited and put together a nice set to play in this evening's 9 hole medal: Dunlop "Peter Thomson" persimmon 1 wood, Slazenger Powerthrust persimmon 2 wood, Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" laminated 4 wood, said Slazenger irons, 3 to SW and a Leyland "Ralph Moffitt" flanged blade putter, all as shown below.

On the first tee I chose the 5 iron to lay up on the short par 4 and subsequently topped it into the ditch at 100 yards, penalty drop, hit a nice 5 iron but it turned over at the end and ran behind some trees, punch out with 3 iron but short-sided behind a bunker, out with the new sand iron! Plopped it into the bunker, 3 shots to get out and 2 putts for a 10... Oh how quickly the excitement evaporated! :eek:
On the par 3 second I racked up a 7. Needless to say I didn't feature in the top 5 but things improved thereafter and I did enjoy the game, hopefully I've got over the excitement and hit all the bad shots ready for Sunday's 18 hole medal competition.

1559254574661.png

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Recently I found on ebay the sand iron to complete one of my favourite iron sets; the Slazenger Plus International. Well it was delivered today so as you can imagine I was pretty excited and put together a nice set to play in this evening's 9 hole medal: Dunlop "Peter Thomson" persimmon 1 wood, Slazenger Powerthrust persimmon 2 wood, Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" laminated 4 wood, said Slazenger irons, 3 to SW and a Leyland "Ralph Moffitt" flanged blade putter, all as shown below.

On the first tee I chose the 5 iron to lay up on the short par 4 and subsequently topped it into the ditch at 100 yards, penalty drop, hit a nice 5 iron but it turned over at the end and ran behind some trees, punch out with 3 iron but short-sided behind a bunker, out with the new sand iron! Plopped it into the bunker, 3 shots to get out and 2 putts for a 10... Oh how quickly the excitement evaporated! :eek:
On the par 3 second I racked up a 7. Needless to say I didn't feature in the top 5 but things improved thereafter and I did enjoy the game, hopefully I've got over the excitement and hit all the bad shots ready for Sunday's 18 hole medal competition.

View attachment 27426
They look so nice those Slazengers!!!

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Cheers, they are!
I've posted the picture below a few times but can't see any harm in posting it again. :)
Old style pinned heads, lovely ferrules, satin finish and diamond framed grooves, what more can you ask for?

View attachment 27427
I'm not sure I'd hit them that well (saying that, been striking my irons a little better of late), but they are a thing of beauty!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
after watching a load of swedes knock it miles past my sunday best drives, bought two cleeks, one i can hit quit nicely, the other is a bit harder.

willl post picks later

D

Deleted member 21258

Thought you may like this video Crow, quite amazing differences between new club/ball and old club/ball, clearly made wider as the guy is a fast swinger of the club:-

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had my hickory golf day and i've got to say it was a good experience! not too bad an entry and even won a prize.

Format was a texas scramble, and the prize moments were sinking a 20 ft putt for a birdie. Managed a few 220-230 yard drives which felt amazing.

Have to say that the whole event was great and i'm definitely going to look for doing a couple more in the future, we didn't win the comp but i managed to take home best dress gentleman and a bottle of wine to boot.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thought you may like this video Crow, quite amazing differences between new club/ball and old club/ball, clearly made wider as the guy is a fast swinger of the club:-

Cheers DRW, a well produced comparison.

Probably the thing classic club players want the most is a ball made today that has the spin rate of the old balata balls.
Wooden clubs don't launch as high as modern clubs which have been optimised for low spin balls, wooden drivers were optimised for higher spinning balls and so it's hard to get a good launch angle with a modern ball.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Couple of recently purchased putters, both coated steel shafts, late 1930s at a guess.

The Spalding G Model will be getting its first outing tomorrow for day 1 of the Old Farts vs Whippersnappers meet.
On Monday I'll decide if it's justified it's place in the bag for the all important singles.... :)

1561839159619.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As promised in the Old Farts vs Whippersnappers thread, here's a picture of the Penfold International irons I collected on the way home, I was going to post a picture of the woods but they all look similar so won't bother. Dating from the mid 1970s.

I said they were similar to the Hogan Producer irons so for anyone not familiar with those :eek: a picture below, not one of my clubs.

1562062757291.png
1562063094790.png

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My dad let me take his first golf bag out of the garage today. Gave it a quick scrub, wd40 the oul zip and ready to go.

All I need is 9 holes and some sunshine. The 9 holes I can do. The sun is in very short supply.

I can stop looking at Jones golf bags now. This will quench my thirst for a vintage carry bag.Screenshot_20190709-164535_Gallery.jpg